Author's Chapter Notes:
nice muse came and played all day.
thanks to Jane, cordykitten and Dusty for their reviews. you rock ladies. hope you enjoy, and because Dusty asked so nicely, there will be an epilogue
‘Never mind bloody stories, Roberto. Who on earth are you?’ Spike started out. Buffy looked at him in amusement. The monk had known an awful lot about them and hadn’t led them astray, but Spike was right: they knew nothing, well almost nothing about him.

‘I suppose I do owe you a few questions. I am a monk, well I was a long time ago. Worked in the Vatican library. And defended the place when demons attacked it. They were after the books you saw.’

Giles started to speak but before he could say a word Brother Roberto held up his hands. ‘Yes Rupert, you will get copies of everything you need. The ones you only want will be available, but not for another 100 years or so, plough through the first batch first. I mean the word NEED as well, so no nagging for any of the others.’

Giles nodded. He accepted a cup of tea from Buffy and waited for the old monk to continue. Before Roberto could say anything there was a knocking at the door. One of the younger slayers popped a head round.

‘A couple of men from a nursing home are here asking for you and Count Mortimer Grissini, Buffy.’

‘Thanks: we’ll be right out.’ Buffy and the Immortal followed her out into the hallway.

Bother Roberto began again.

‘I’m sure you’ll all fill Lady Carrington in when she gets back from disposing of Travers.’

There were general nods all round. Willow set up a laptop computer with a microphone attached. ‘It’s voice recognition software,’ she explained. ‘Saves us taking notes. The whole conversation will be stored on CD so if everyone could state their names it will also identify who said what.’

Giles looked at her in surprise.

‘Well I don’t just do magic and stuff, I was pretty good with computers and it was meant as a gift for you Giles, so that you could keep a track of us during board meetings.’ Willow seemed distressed that they didn’t trust her not to do everything with magic.

‘That’s your guilty conscience talking, young lady.’ Brother Roberto pointed out. ‘They are just thinking how thoughtful and kind you were. A completely trustworthy way of keeping minutes when the meetings have to be secret. You could make a fortune with that software.’

Willow blushed and Xander squeezed her hand. ‘S OK sweetie. I still love you even if you are goofy.’

Brother Roberto started again. ‘For the machine…Brother Roberto.’ He said.

Willow pressed a button and nodded at Giles. They continued around the room, Buffy and the Immortal returning in time to add their names to the list, doing as they were told before sitting down.

‘Right that’s it all programmed in, now we just talk and it types.’

‘It’s pretty freaky having a machine type what I’m saying,’ Xander said, watching in fascination as the words appeared on the screen in front of him.

‘Well I’m just glad those blasted things have some use.’ Giles added.

‘Well children, all sitting comfortably, shall I begin?’ Brother Roberto continued. ‘As I was saying, I worked at the Vatican during a demon attack. Fiends from hell trying to steal our documents. Marcus and The Immortal saved us. Demons saving us from demons. The Pope at the time was a wise man. He sat and talked with Marcus, listened to what he had to say and a form of truce was worked out. We would help the warriors of light. But it was impossible to let everyone know what was going on, so that Pope wrote a letter to all his successors, requesting that they honour the truce. Some have kept to it better than others. If they get really difficult we get one of the Angels to come and redeliver a copy. That normally sorts out the problems,’ he added with a smile.

‘So what will happen now?’ Asked Spike.

‘This hell mouth will never open. You will go through the books and close down the others, leaving only Gateways, well guarded of course, and Miss Dawn here, to act as roadways between earth and the hell dimensions. Many of the evil ones will leave, and the balance will be restored.’

‘And us?’ Asked Buffy, clinging onto Spike’s hand.

‘Well that’s up to you. I suggest you two stay together but other than that, choices are yours.’

‘Choices?’

‘Life is made up of choices. A single man caused the opening of most of the Hell mouths. You will close them. This beautiful young lady will allow you to travel whereever you want, heaven or hell; slayers will help keep the demon population under control. In just a couple of centuries, slayers will be the police that you call for your demon citizens, hell mouths will be closed and you will be voting for your first humanoid, not human, Mayor.’

‘We’ve already dealt with one of those, thankyou.’ Buffy said, remembering blowing up the high school at graduation.

‘Yes, but this one will be one of the good guys.’ Roberto added with a smile.

‘I won’t be there to see it,’ Xander stated. ‘Most of you in this room are immortal: I’m not. I wish that I could stay and help but…’

‘It’s a simple matter,’ Roberto interrupted, ‘have Willow cast a bonding spell on the three of you. Then you’ll all live as long as Rachael and when you are ready to move on, you can move on together.’

Willow, Rachael and Xander looked at each other, they’d never thought of that.

‘Now that’s out of the way, where was I?’

‘Telling us what was going to happen,’ Giles supplied.

‘Ah yes. I am allowed,’ he continued, ‘to give you a few hints, but not everything. That would spoil the surprise.

‘Firstly, Angel is to receive the Shanshu. I’m telling you this when he’s not here, so you can all shout now.’

Buffy was really angry. Those in the room who knew and loved her were making their way out of range as she built herself up into a storm.
Marcus looked at Spike and started sending soothing waves down the Sires Claim. Spike looked at him. The old vampire knew something and he winked at Spike.

‘How dare they! What’s that idiot ever done to deserve such a reward? |He never stopped an apocalypse, he never stayed, and now you’re giving him life? I don’t understand! Spike deserves it far more! If anyone should walk in the sun, have a good life, it’s my William, not that brooding, overgrown school bully who won’t let others live their life…’

‘Buffy my dear…’ Roberto seemed completely oblivious to the fact that she was angry. ‘Buffy my dear,’ he repeated. ‘Let me get this straight: you want Spike to give up his strength and immortality for a pulse? When he becomes a true part of the Covenent he will walk in the sun, and be able, if he wishes, to have a family, so the only thing he will gain from Shanshu is, and I repeat this, a pulse. As a Covenented Vampire, master of his clan, he will be fast, strong, impervious to crosses, sunlight, holy water, bullets, and stakes, or anything else. He will burn like a human, so a spark won’t kill him; and you would ask him to give that up to be able to breathe, need air, be warm and have a pulse? Don’t you think we should ask him?’

Xander saw. ‘Shanshu isn’t a reward, is it?’

‘No, insightful one, it isn’t. It is a true curse. The promise of reward and it is a punishment. Liam Angelus O’Connor will go back to being human. He has done his task. You are all together. He will live and breathe and grow old and die. Then he will have to stand in judgement for all those dreadful crimes he committed when he had his soul. We care about the things he did as a soulless vampire but they are judged differently, with the nature of the demon in mind, but what he did as a human he will pay for. The rapes, the murders, even when he shut humans in the cellar to die. It will all be paid for. As he requested, it is his right. Any Vampire who wants the reward badly enough without putting in the work is offered Shanshu. That is why I told you about it in here. I don’t want you pestering your poor life mate into accepting such a poor deal. I think the Covenent is far better for him.’

‘What’s involved in this Covenent thing?’

‘A small trip into The Vatican, a signature, in blood I’m afraid. It is the most powerful ink we know of. And swearing an oath, on a parchment in a box, that you will uphold the balance, and you’re in. I believe they meet all together every hundred years or so for a rather good party, but other than that, and collecting your court around you, you just keep doing what you’re doing.’

‘My court?’

‘Yes. The Slayer, The Seer, the Witch, the Demon, and the Archivist.’

‘The slayer I get: that’s Buffy. The Witch is Willow, the Archivist would be Giles, but the Demon? The Seer? Who are they?’

‘Xander is the Seer, he could always see straight into the heart of every problem; he just refused to admit it. And the Demon…’ Roberto looked at Rachael. ‘You may tell them now if you wish.’

‘Thank goodness. I hated keeping this a secret from you guys, but hey guys: half slayer half Osept Demon, here.’

‘Osept Demon? What on earth is one of those?’

‘A sky demon, they brought about the legends of fairies and elves.’

‘So my court is complete?’

‘Yes, and so is my job. If there are any questions, you can contact me through the Immortal, but now I’m going to have a rest.’

Brother Roberto waved his hand in the air: a portal opened and through he stepped. Before the portal could close he put his head back through. It looked really strange, just a head floating in mid air.

‘May I suggest a Christmas party? Oz and Nina could both do with the break, and do sort out the Kennedy matter. She sold her soul to the Senior Partners at WRH, and to the First so that she didn’t die in the final battle. Selfish little girl really, but then her father had dealt with Wolfram and Hart for years. It will save you a huge problem later; bye.’ and with that he vanished.

Leaving the Scoobies plus guests with so much running through their
heads. More questions were about to start when they were disturbed by a manly scream and rushed out to see Angel pointing at the ornate mirror that hung in the hallway of the Villa. ‘Buhh, buhhh,’ he managed to get out.


He had a reflection, and a pulse. He could feel his pulse. He went to the door and carefully put his hand out into the light, waiting for the smell of burning flesh. When it didn’t he went into the light. And spun and spun round and round, revelling in the light. Spike felt a pang of jealousy.

Marcus put a hand on his shoulder. ‘It won’t be long childe, you will get more than you could ever dream.’

‘My dreams are pretty big,’ Spike smiled.

‘I know, but you need to believe you are truly worth it.’

Spike felt the tears in his eyes again. Marcus seemed to bring out the ponce in him every time.

Buffy watched indulgently as Spike and his ultimate sire bonded. Suddenly she was being whisked into the air.

‘Buffy darling, we can be together. You are my reward, I’m human, we can get married and everything!’ Angel gushed.

‘Oh Angel, congratulations on becoming human.’ She started to hug Angel, and hug him and hug him. Angel found that he couldn’t breathe, he was choking. Buffy kept squeezing, hugging harder and harder. He had nearly passed out when Buffy appeared to realise what she was doing to him and let go.

‘Oh I am sooo sorry Angel, I always forget how careful I have to be around mere humans, sometimes I make a mistake. Never mind: you are human now, so no more hugs. Come on love,’ she said turning to Spike. ‘Let’s go.’ She took one step, jumping to the top of the stairs with Spike following her.

‘I’ve lost her haven’t I? Can you turn me back? She obviously wants me as a vampire.’

‘You really don’t get it do you? She doesn’t want you at all. Go live your life Angel, go and try and make amends, your soul is all shiney and new, try not to damage this one.’ Xander just turned his back, not waiting for the reply. He led Willow and Rachael upstairs.

‘Good luck,’ said Giles as he too left Angel in the hall.

Nina watched in disgust. Angel really wasn’t worth it. ‘I’m going home to LA Angel, see you around some time.’

‘Perhaps you would allow me the privilege of offering you a lift? I could have my jet ready in about two hours and we could be in LA in just a short time longer, Cara,’ The Immortal said. ‘I need a few things from Rodeo Drive.’

‘That would be very kind.’ Nina answered. ‘I can be packed in an hour.’

‘I will have the car ready to pick you up, then.’

Morty looked at this young lady, his next project he thought. A young lady who needed her ego and self confidence rebuilding. A good project to keep him occupied for a few years while his beloved soulmate Sophie grew up. He looked at Marcus who smiled and nodded at his future son-in-law. Another great sinner whose reward was coming.

Marcus and Rosamund went back into the sitting room and played with their little girl for a few hours.

Three days later William Atherton, Lord Carrington, managed to corner Xander and Giles in the library.

‘I need to talk to you two,’ he snapped.

‘Have we done something wrong?’ Giles was puzzled. All their problems seemed over and yet the vampire seemed on edge. Interesting.

Spike went over to the drinks tray and poured three large scotches. Handing the other two theirs, he started to talk.

‘God this is hard. I was born in 1855, and turned in 1880, a real Victorian gentleman. In my day it was considered de rigeur to ask a girl’s family for her hand and you two are the nearest thing she’s got, her father and her brother. Would you allow me to ask Buffy to be my wife?’

Xander was touched, he knew how much Spike loved Buffy but to formally ask for her hand was lovely.

Giles smiled. ‘And how exactly do you intend to support my daughter?’

‘The treasure of Amara is almost untouched, and along with my stocks and shares, amounts to nearly 50 million.’

Xander choked on his drink. ‘50 million dollars!’ he spluttered.

‘Oh no,’ Spike said. Xander relaxed. Then Spike continued, ‘not dollars: pounds. About $100 million.’

‘Why scam off of us then?’

‘Cause it was fun?’

The men laughed out loud. And continued to share the drink.

‘Well, can I?’

‘What?’

‘Marry Buffy!’

‘Of course,’ Giles said. ‘About time you made an honest woman of her.’

Xander nodded his agreement as Spike showed them the beautiful solitaire diamond ring he’d bought.

‘Now I’m in trouble,’ Xander complained.

‘Why?’

‘Well look at that rock! It’s over 3 carats, and I’m going to have to buy two!!’