PART 19
( It refers to ‘Prophecy’)

But Spike wasn’t the type to be quiet for long.
“Fancy a swim?” he suggested, getting up.
“What? At this time?”
“Why? Haven’t you ever done a midnight swim before?”
“First :it’s almost 2 a.m., so it can’t be called ‘midnight swim’ , and second.. no, “ she admitted.
“You must have lived such a sad life so far, Slayer!” he sympathized with her.
“ Hey, at least I’m not from a town where if you are lucky there’s a sunny day once in a year!” she struck back.
“That’s the point, pet: in my un-life I’ve made up for the lost time!” he explained.
“So?” he questioned her, noticing that at least she had got up.
“I don’t know, maybe the water is too cold..” she answered, but before she could breathe he took her by the hand, running with her into the ocean with her, and then he left her hand to go into the waves.
Without any other choice, Buffy did the same.

“The water is perfect, it feels so good…” she murmured, floating peacefully, letting the waves rock her.
But her relax didn’t last long, because Spike popped from behind all of the sudden, overturning her.
“Grrr, you…” Buffy started cursing, but he stopped her.
“Idiot, pervert, dumb, stupid asshole, bastard da, da, da.. I already know the melody, pet! You’re way too predictable!” he commented laughing.

“ Yeah? Sooo.. “ she said, approaching him laboriously due to the high level of the water, and then she put her hands under the water, caressing his waist sensually and puzzling him a lot.
“.. predict *this *!” she exclaimed, pulling down his boxers quickly and running away giggling, wondering where she had found the courage for such a trick.

< Well, that was definitely unpredictable… Lucky for me she didn’t notice how much I liked that move!> Spike told himself, relieved, putting his boxer up and chasing the girl.

“C’mon, truce, white flag here!” she exclaimed, swimming around him.
“Are you up for a nice swimming competition?” she suggested, and Spike accepted, so they challenged each other in quickness and resistance.
After about half hour, they came back to the shore, tired but happy, and Buffy was silently grateful with Spike, for taking the beach mattresses: to get muddy in the sand didn’t inspire her much

< Mm.. he looks even sexier wet… No, no, no, stop with these dangerous thoughts, he’s a vampire, he’s an enemy.. but sometimes it’s so easy to forget it..> she thought watching him, she didn’t tried to look away even when.. their eyes met.
That puzzled the vampire.

< Why is she staring at me? Have I got something wrong, maybe the hair? Or maybe… has she noticed *that * before?> he wondered, worrying.

Buffy quit staring at him, glancing at her watch.
“Spike, it’s almost 4 a.m.! Let’s dry up quickly and go back to the hotel!” she warned him.
Now the approaching sunrise made him worry, but they managed to go back just in time.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Spike awoke due to the never ending Buffy’s turning on the bed.
She looked tormented, and she whined in her sleep.
“No, let me go, please… I wanna live.. NOOO!” she cried.

Spike didn’t think twice, and he grabbed her by the shoulders, shaking her gently.
“Buffy, wake up, Buffy, you’re dreaming!”
And she woke up.
“It was terrible, I had a nightmare..” she began explaining, and then she checked her watch, noticing that the fluorescent hands pointed to 9 a.m.
“Well, a *daymare*!” she joked
“Anyway, there was the Master, trying to kill me again..” she said, still visibly shocked.
“What do you mean with ‘kill me again’?” Spike asked, confused.
“Have you ever wondered why there are two Slayers? I simply happened to die, drowned for a while, then… Xander brought me to life again..” she explained, deciding it was better not to mention Angel, too.
“..but this time it was horrible, there was no one to help me, and I tried to run, but he caught me with his claws, and.. oh my god!” she agitated once again.
“Shh, shh, pet, it was just a bad dream, now it’s over, it’s all ok!” he whispered, massaging her back and letting her put her head on his shoulder, once again shirtless, but that direct contact with his skin didn’t bother her, but it was putting Spike in difficulty, because he dreaded to betray himself.

After some minutes Buffy calmed down, and she raised her head, smiling to him.
“Thank you, I’m feeling better now!”
He smiled back, parting from her, but she didn’t like that move.
“Could you please… hold me?” she asked with a faint voice.
Spike questioned her with his eyes, wondering who that girl was, because although she looked exactly like Buffy, she obviously didn’t behave as Buffy used to.
She smiled, understanding his doubts.
“You know, when I was a little girl, and had a nightmare, mommy used to comfort me, just as you did, and.. hold me in her arms the whole night long, to keep the bad dreams away from me… so, could you do the same, just for this time?” she asked him, realizing amused that it was already the second time she talked with him about her childhood memories… but with him it was so easy for her to talk about everything.

“Are you aware you’re asking that to your mortal enemy?” Spike made her notice, but he was the first doubting about it.
“Well, I’ll take the risk, then!” she murmured, laying down with him, and falling asleep on his shoulder.
Spike hugged her, enjoying the heat of that contact… and fighting against the impulse to jump her.
And for that day he won that interior battle, closing his eyes and wishing he could hold her in his arms forever.

TBC