Author's Chapter Notes:
I joined some chpaters together
Thank you again! ;)

PART 21
(Lyrics from ‘Down’ by blink-182)

Spike was smoking a cigarette, throwing stones into the ocean, pacing nervously back and forth.
“It’s your own fault, you, bloody face-of-a-beat-dog! What the hell do they find in you, Mr. Weeping-on-myself-is-my- job? You always win, you always take away from me the women I love..” he yelled furiously.
Buffy came back to the hotel before he could feel her presence.

< He used plural.. women! And he’s always been faithful to Dru, it means that… Spike loves me!!> she told herself shocked.

< This can’t be possible: his is only an obsession, and mine is just a dream! No one loves no one here! Well, there’s someone you love with all your being, Buffy, think about your Angel! Right, I adore everything about my Angel, the hair gel in his hair, his dark outfit, his witty remarks, his British accent, the black nail polish on his fingernails, and his deep blue eyes.. Wait… Angel rarely does witty remarks, he is Irish, and he doesn’t even have a strong accent, he never uses nail polish… and most of all.. his eyes * are not * blue. Oh my God! I’m thinking about Spike… again! This is not good, this holiday…>

“This holiday is the worst idea I have ever had!” Spike snapped, coming back to the room.
“I’ve already paid at the reception, now let’s just pack our things and leave! There’s still almost half hour before sunrise… and I don’t wanna waste another day here..” he informed her.



“You’re right, this holiday is a big mistake, I’ll be ready in a minute!” she answered, packing her stuff quickly.
---------------------------------------------------

The trip back to Sunnydale was dominated by silence, except the hours when Spike kept the radio on, changing stations, and to please Buffy he even tuned it on some pop station… although he hated that kind of music.
To avoid his gaze, Buffy had even pretended to be asleep for a couple of hours.

In the afternoon, they reached Sunnydale, and respecting his traditions, Spike mowed down the Welcome Sign.
“Four!” Buffy exclaimed, crossing her arms.
“What?” he asked, happy that they had resumed talking again.
“It’s the fourth time you have mowed down the Welcome Sign.. I just wonder why they bother to readjust it every time..” she commented.
“Maybe… for me to mow it down again!” he smirked.
She was about to smile back to him, but she turned her head away.

< No, Buffy, remember? It all started that way, and you don’t want it to start again, right?> she told herself.

After about a half hour, they arrived to Revello Drive.
This time there wasn’t any trouble with the daily light, because a summer storm had darkened the sky.
“Well, pet, we arrived! Just stay here for a while, at least until the storm drops..” he advised her, parking in front of her house.
The radio was still on and there was the beginning of a song that just for the energetic intro with the electric guitar gained Spike’s full approval, and he turned high the volume.
Buffy let him do as he pleased, and they both listened carefully to the lyrics.

THE DROPS OF RAIN THEY FALL ALL OVER

they both noticed silently.

THIS AWKWARD SILENCE MAKES ME CRAZY

< Sure, I hate this kind of silence.. it brings nothing good ..> Buffy thought

THE GLOW INSIDE BURNS LIGHT UPON HER

< Well, there’s no light here, but she’s beautiful anyway …> Spike told himself, leaning to her slowly, as she was surprisingly doing the same.

I ’ LL TRY TO KISS YOU IF YOU LET ME

They were eye to eye, their lips were about to skim, when Buffy pulled back all of the sudden, opening the car door.

THIS CAN’T BE THE END

“You know, what? Rain won’t be so bad!” she said, dashing out under the rain ( also because she really needed a cold shower!!) and running inside before Spike could stop her.
But he didn’t even try, remaining seated in his car.


TIDAL WAVES THEY RIP RIGHT THROUGH ME
TEARS FROM EYES, WORN, COLD AND SAD

“Yeah, that’s the feeling, buddy!” Spike commented with a bitter irony, turning to the radio.


PICK ME UP NOW, I NEED YOU SO BAD
DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN(2X)

< I was so close.. and yet so far.. Why am I wishing for whom I can’t have?>

IT GETS ME SO
DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN(2X)
IT GETS ME SO

That song seemed to read inside him, so he let it ring.

YOUR VOWS OF SILENCE FALL ALL OVER
THE LOOK IN YOUR EYES MAKES ME CRAZY

< Wait! Her look, the look in her eyes! There was something else beyond fear …>

I FEEL THE DARKNESS BREAK UPON HER
I ’LL TAKE YOU OVER IF YOU LET ME
YOU DID THIS

< Probably I’m wrong, but I feel that it’s not over yet with her.. maybe..> he told himself, turning off the radio and setting the car in motion.

TBC

Thank you, hope you'll like this part and the songs I chose! ;)


PART 22
(Lyrics from ‘Time is running out’ and ‘Unintended’ , both by Muse)

Buffy ran upstairs, shutting the door behind her.
She was relieved because her mother was still away, in that moment she didn’t feel like talking with anyone, she just wanted to be alone with her thoughts.

< Oh, my God! He was about to, I was about to.. but I ran away, and I don’t even know if I did the right thing… Sure I did! It could never work… the others would never accept.. they have never really accepted Angel, and he has a soul, while Spike hasn’t… So, he can’t care about me, yes, he doesn’t love me, he just believes he does…> she told herself, but it was enough to think back to his look inside the car to realize that she was just telling herself a bunch of lies.
She began crying.

< I’ve spent ages trying to forget Angel, and the only one who made me do it is the worst of the guys! Why? What’s wrong with me? Why do we belong to such different worlds? Why has it always to be so difficult? I just hope I’ll forget him with the same quickness I fell in .. NO, Buffy, don’t you dare to say it!> she imposed inwardly, throwing herself on the bed, and falling asleep among bitter tears and sighs.
------------------------------------------

She got up the morning after, happy and shocked at the same time, since she had spent the night doing nothing but dreaming about Spike.. erotic dreams, obviously!

< This is not good, Buffy, don’t think about that sexy.. don’t think ‘bout him!> she forced herself.

She took the bag where she had put all her stuff, to put it away in her closet, but when she saw the bikini Spike had bought her, and the white dress that she wore when she had slept in his arms, Buffy was overwhelmed by all those memories once again, and tears threatened to fall from her eyes once more.
“ No, no ,no, I gotta take my mind off..” she muttered, turning on the radio on her desk, turning to the first station she found.

There was the beginning of a song, and liking the soft snapping of fingers that opened the intro, Buffy decided to listen to it.


I THINK I ’M DROWNING ASPHYXIATING

“You’re not the only one.. ” Buffy said to the singer, as he could hear her .

I WANNA BREAK THE SPELL YOU ‘VE CREATED

< A spell, it must be a spell, I can’t really be feeling this!>

YOU ‘RE SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL, A CONTRADICTION

< He’s the most forbidden contradiction for me…>

I WANNA PLAY THE GAME, I WANT THE FRICTION

< Yeah, I could risk it, it’s my life after all, if I choose to risk no one can tell me anything!>

YOU WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME
YEAH, YOU WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME

< No doubt about it!> she smiled

BURY IT
I WON ‘ T LET YOU BURY IT

< I know he won’t, the real problem are the others!>

I WON ‘T LET YOU SMOTHER IT
I WON ‘ T LET YOU MURDER IT

< Yeah, I won’t let them influence my life again!>

OUR TIME IS RUNNING OUT
AND OUR TIME IS RUNNING OUT

< You bet! Especially mine, it will be a miracle if I get to be 20 years old..>

YOU CAN’T PUSH IT UNDERGROUND
WE CAN ‘T STOP IT SCREAMING OUT

I WANTED FREEDOM, BUT I’M RESTRICTED

< Yeah, it seems that I forgot Angel, but now there’s him, it’s even worse ! >

I TRIED TO GIVE YOU UP, BUT I ‘M ADDICTED

< Yeah, there’s no way I can get him out of my mind, and I don’t know why! >

NOW THAT YOU KNOW I ’ M TRAPPED, SENSE OF ELATION

< But he doesn’t know…. Or does he?>

YOU ‘LL NEVER DREAM OF BREAKING THIS FIXATION

< What if his wasn’t a fixation?>

With all those questions and doubts twirling in her head, Buffy turned off the radio, coming downstairs.
“It’s a curse: everything I do reminds me of him! Gotta clear my mind.. a good walk is what I need!” she exclaimed, opening the door, but she immediately noticed the cassette laying on the porch, over a folded sheet of paper.
Buffy already knew who had left them there, and with her heart in her mouth, she picked the cassette and opened the sheet, reading it.

‘Hi, pet!
You know I never surrender when there’s a battle I wanna win, and I’m determined to win your heart, Buffy.
Sure, you won’t believe me now; you’ll be thinking that I’m just kind of obsessed by you…
So, I think this song (And you’ll see that I also like something different from Punk and hard Rock.. sometimes!) can explain perfectly how I feel about you.. even better than my words!
Well, just pretend it’s ‘un-life’ when the singer says ‘life’!
Jokes aside, please, listen to it carefully.
And if you finally believe me, meet me tonight at the old abandoned warehouse.. I’ll wait for you ‘till midnight, and if you don’t come, it will mean that you didn’t trust in me, you didn’t believe in an ‘us‘…
So, I’ll leave this town forever, and you’ll never see me again, this time for real.
I’m here, hoping to dive tonight into the ocean of your eyes!
Bye for now, Sunshine.
Spike, or if you prefer… William Winters.’

Buffy smiled reading the signature, the one of her fake husband that really had made her spend wonderful days, even if they were too few.
She came back to her room, reading the message again and again, a little bit upset due to the short ultimatum he had given her, but sincerely impressed by his words.
Buffy inserted the cassette into the recorder.
She laid down on her bed, waiting for the silence of the cassette to be filled by the first notes.. a very sweet riff by an acoustic guitar.
Buffy closed her eyes, letting the smooth voice of the singer rock her.

YOU COULD BE MY UNINTENDED CHOICE TO LIVE MY LIFE EXTENDED
YOU COULD BE THE ONE I ’LL ALWAYS LOVE
YOU COULD BE THE ONE WHO LISTENS TO MY DEEPEST INQUISITIONS
YOU COULD BE THE ONE I ’LL ALWAYS LOVE


I ‘LL BE THERE AS SOON AS I CAN
BUT I ‘ M BUSY MENDING BROKEN
PIECES OF THE LIFE I HAD BEFORE


FIRST THERE WAS THE ONE WHO CHALLENGED ALL MY DREAMS AND ALL MY BALANCE
SHE COULD NEVER BE AS GOOD AS YOU
YOU COULD BE MY UNINTENDED CHOICE TO LIVE MY LIFE EXTENDED
YOU SHOULD BE THE ONE I ’LL ALWAYS LOVE


I ‘LL BE THERE AS SOON AS I CAN
BUT I ‘ M BUSY MENDING BROKEN
PIECES OF THE LIFE I HAD BEFORE (2X)

BEFORE YOU

Buffy enjoyed intensely the last notes and the last trills, and then she stopped the cassette, touched.
Finally she knew what to do.

TBC