Chapter 7

Dawn had finished school for the day and she had decided to pay Spike a visit. It was Thursday now and no one had seen or heard from him in two days. He hadn’t come over to plan the attack on the vamp club and Buffy was due to do it tomorrow.

But that wasn’t just it. Dawn had a sneaking suspicion that something had happened between Buffy and Spike, something bad. Buffy was so moody. One minute she snapped the next she looked as if she’d burst in to tears. Either way Dawn was going to find out.

She reached the crypt door and pushed it open.

“Spike?” she called softly, entering the crypt always made her a little uneasy.

Panic set in as she took in the devastation that had hit the crypt, it was completely trashed.

“Spike! Are you in here?” Dawn rushed to the ladder and quickly made her way down them. She stopped at the bottom, stunned. There was Spike asleep on the bed.

Dawn called again.

“Spike? Wake up, what happened upstairs?” Dawn crossed the room to the sleeping vampire and gave him a nudge. He mumbled something and moved his arm, dropping a bottle which he must have been holding.

Hmm, thought Dawn. Not a sleeping vampire but a passed out one. Dawn quickly put the pieces together. Oh yeah, something bad had happened. She hadn’t seen Spike this drunk since Buffy had died.

Leaving Spike to it she climbed the ladder to the upper level and looked around.

Jeez thought Dawn, there must be at least 10 empty bottles of bourbon scattered around the crypt. And the damage was extensive. Not even Spikes beloved TV set had survived. He must have been really upset. Which brought her thoughts back to Buffy, what on earth had she done to piss Spike of this much? Because it had to have been Buffy, no one else could affect Spike like this.
**
Buffy was sat at the table drinking tea when Dawn stormed into the house.

“What did you do to him?” Dawn demanded and Buffy knew immediately who she meant.

“What do you mean, what did I do to him? Who?” Buffy asked mildly, hanging onto to ignorance for a few moments longer.

“You know who! Spike!” Dawn shouted.

“What do you mean “what did I do to Spike?” Buffy wondered again briefly what the vampire had gone and done now.

“You did something to him, because he has crawled so far inside a bottle that the tequila worm is feeling jealous.” Dawn sighed. What was the point, Buffy obviously didn’t feel like sharing, again.

“You know what? I don’t care what happened. But you better go and sober him up if he’s going to help you tomorrow night. And he is helping you right, you’re not going to be stupid enough to try an attack on a club full of sleeping vampires, even during the day.” Dawn had to make sure, Buffy did some really stupid things sometimes.

Buffy gaped at Dawn and then smiled.

“I will get him to help me. When did you turn into the responsible one, huh?” she ruffled Dawns hair playfully despite the younger girls protests.

“What happened with Spike? Buffy I haven’t seen him like that since you died, he seems really….broken.” Dawn commented softly.

Buffy took a deep breath and weighed up the odds, to be truthful or not? Dawn had grown up so much in the last couple of months and she and Buffy had really started talking lately. Okay thought Buffy, spill it all out and see what happens.

**

Buffy pushed open the crypt door like she had only a few days ago and stopped to take in the destruction, Dawn had told her about it but she was still surprised to see it. She headed straight for the lower level as that’s where Dawn had said he was. She stepped off the ladder and saw Spike sprawled out on the bed, pretty much in the same position if what Dawn had said was right.

She walked over and knelt at the side of the bed.

“Spike?” she called softly not wanting to startle him.

“Spike?” she called again, only louder.

Startle him my ass thought Buffy after a good ten minutes of trying to rouse the drunken vampire. She didn’t want to get to close again, he absolutely reeked of alcohol. Plus a stale kind of smell which Buffy really didn’t want to think about to closely.

Heaving a big sigh, the heaving the sleeping vampire over her shoulder she carried him up the ladder and to the edge of the graveyard. She used her cell phone to call a taxi, and then sat down to wait.

She could have carried him to her house with no problem but it would look a bit strange to any passers by, a small woman carrying a full grown man like a sack of potatoes over her shoulder, so she settled on a taxi.

Of course she couldn’t help the traditional comment to the taxi driver when he asked if her boyfriend was okay.

“He’s just dead drunk.” Buffy answered suppressing a giggle.

The taxi dropped her off and she waited until he had pulled away before hoisting Spike back up on her shoulder and took him into the house.

She dropped him on the couch and shook her head slightly. Buffy turned as she heard Dawn bounding down the stairs.

“Oh. What are you gonna do with him?” Dawn asked curiously.

“Sober him up, I suppose.” Buffy answered.

“Do you want any help? Dawn asked brightly and Buffy smiled at her.

“No it’s ok, you go on to bed.” Buffy sighed again once Dawn had left.

"You know Buffy, I think you underestimate yourself. You obviously have really strong feelings for him. But that doesn't mean you'll lose yourself in him. And letting go and loving someone doesn't mean you'll lose them either." Dawn spoke with her eerie insight again.

Buffy held up a hand to stop dawn but Dawn cut her off.

"I know, your done talking, all I'm saying is it might not be as bad as you think, in fact it could be as good as you think." Dawn said softly before returning to the stairs.

Buffy stared down at the couch. Here she had an inebriated vampire, in need of a shower and large quantities of black coffee, the vampire who she told the other night that she couldn’t have a relationship with, the vampire that staring at now she couldn’t help but think was possibly the most beautiful thing she’d ever seen.

Buffy dragged Spike up the stairs and dumped him this time on her bed. She went back downstairs and put some coffee on, vaguely wondering did coffee actually work on drunken vampires. She gave a mental shrug, at the moment she needed all the help she could get. A loud crash from upstairs brought her out of her reverie and she ran to see the problem.

She laughed out loud when she saw Spike sprawled out on the floor with Mister Gordo tucked under one arm, she quickly reassured Dawn that all was well when the teenager came investigating. Deciding to leave to coffee brewing Buffy hauled Spike back up onto to the bed.

“Schlyer?” spike breathed and Buffy flinched from the alco breath.

“Yes spike?” she answered trying not to laugh again, she needn’t of bothered because he had passed out again. All of the mirth left her and she felt a healthy dose of guilt as she thought of why Spike had gotten into the state he was in.

Sighing for the fiftieth time she pushed all thought away and began pulling Spikes clothes off.

tbc....