“I need you to check Will… you can do that right?” Buffy stretched her shoulder and winced slightly at the pain.
“I can do that. Buffy… are you ok?” The witch asked, a look of concern on her face.
“Yeah, just a few tinglies in the shoulder, I’ll be fine. Its Spike I’m more concerned about, somehow I can’t see him giving up that easily.”
“The bad penny.” Xander added without looking up from his book. The silence finally got through as he realised he was on the wrong end of a slayer stare.
“With the always turning up I meant… not with the bad, although… I’ll shut up now.”
Buffy sighed. “It’s Ok Xander. You don’t have to pretend.”
“Don’t worry Buffy, if he’s in there then this witch will find him.” Willow smiled confidently.


In the basement Angelus watched in amusement as Willow closed her eyes.
“I don’t know why you’re bothering. I already told you, Spikey moved out.” He sneered.
“Are you sure this is safe?” Kennedy asked.
“It should be perfectly safe as long as Willow doesn’t stay to long.” Giles replied, his eyes never leaving the vampire.
“I don’t see why she had to do this at all.” Kennedy muttered under her breath.
“She has to do it because our dear little Buffy can’t quite believe that Spike ran out on her… again. But that’s what they do isn’t it Buff. All the men that you care for… run away in the end.”
Buffy blinked slowly. “Spike didn’t leave.”
Angelus laughed. “Didn’t leave? Wasn’t exactly in a hurry to get back to you though was he? I mean, he stayed out of the way, only came back because you put the pressure on. The best thing you could do for the poor guy was leave him the hell alone. But it isn’t about Spike is it? Its all about you, all about what the slayer wants…” Angelus leaned back against the wall, a smug smile on Spikes face. “Tell me I’m wrong.”
Buffy stared for a moment, slight doubt flickering behind her eyes. She had made Spike come back. In the bar he had wanted to walk away… She shook her head, things were different now. She forced herself to imagine what Spike would say if he were here now. Something sarcastic, something funny, but behind it all she knew he loved her. Things were definitely different, they were different.
“You’re wrong.” She said firmly. “Will, are you ready?”
The witch nodded in the affirmative.
Angelus closed his eyes. “Ah, there you are little witch. Go ahead, have a good look around, I give you safe passage, let me know if you find anything good.”


“That’s long enough!” Kennedy shouted as Willows’ face contorted. “Come back now Willow.”
“Wait.” Giles said, his hand stopping the young slayer. “We have to be sure.”
“He’s hurting her.”
Willow opened her eyes; a feint gold tinge shone around her pupils then was gone. She sagged slightly. Kennedy ran forward to catch her.
“Are you satisfied?” She said accusingly at Buffy.
“I’m Ok sweetie.” Willow said quietly. “That was one twisty trip.”
“Will?” Buffy asked.
The redhead caught her friends’ eye and gave a slight shake of her head.
Buffy felt as though the wind had been knocked out of her. She’d only just found him again, when was the universe going to cut her a break? She turned abruptly and ran up the stairs.
“Told you so.” Angelus said gleefully.
“I wouldn’t gloat too much Angelus.” Giles said quietly. “If Spike is indeed gone then you are in something of a predicament. There is nothing to stop us staking you…”
Angelus laughed, his eyes on the watcher. “I don’t think that’s going to happen is it? Because if this body is gone then there is no way her lapdog is coming back and even if she wanted to….”
“She killed Angel.” Giles replied.
“But Angel is not Spike, plus I have slayer blood in me, makes me stronger than ever. Who among you is going to do the deed because I’m pretty sure Buffy isn’t going to, and you guys don’t have what it takes... If you want to try I could use the exercise.”


Willow tapped gently on Buffy’s bedroom door.
“Buffy? Sweetie? Can I come in?”
There was a muffled reply. Willow turned the knob and opened the door. It took a moment for her eyes to adjust to the gloom, but there was the slayer lying face down on the bed her face wet with tears. She sat up as the witch took a seat next to her.
“You Ok?” Willow asked, knowing the question was redundant.
“He’s really gone isn’t he?” Buffy rolled her shoulder, the tingling was back and this time more insistent.
The witch nodded sadly.
“So now I have to go down there and kill that… thing?” There was almost a pleading in her voice. She stretched out her arm.
“Not right away, I do have an idea … do you want me to see to that arm, it looks uncomfortable?”
“I’m fine.” Buffy snapped. “What’s the idea?”
“I’ve talked it over with Giles and I think it might work. I just need to run it past you.”
“Anything.” For the first time there was hope in her eyes.
“Angelus is Angel without the soul right?”
Buffy nodded.
“So if I reignite the soul then the result should be Angel?”
“Angel?” Buffy said uncertainly. Her right arm felt as if it was on fire.
“I know it won’t be Spike, but where there is Angelus, there must be Angel. The only difference is he would be wrapped in Spike?” Willow said. “Might not be all bad, and we could possibly save one of them?”
Like a flash Buffy felt her arm lift of its own accord. It slapped the witch smartly across the cheek.
Willow looked in surprise into eyes that for just a moment seemed out of place.
From the blonde slayer came an unmistakeable British accent.
“Sod that!”