“I have a plan.” Willow and Buffy said together when they finally met in the kitchen. They shared a mutual smile.

“We’ve been friends too long.” Buffy said smiling.

The house was silent.

“Ok,” Buffy said. “You go first.”


Angelus opened an eye. There seemed to be activity, this would be interesting. Junior slayers moved about, trying to stay quiet, the witch was here and… Buffy. He stretched Spikes body lazily before turning into a sitting position. So this was the moment, when they were planning to chain him back to his soul.

“Everybody leave.” Buffy said sternly.

“But Buffy I really feel…” Giles began.

“I don’t want to leave Willow.” Kennedy said stubbornly.

“Please Giles, Kennedy?” She said. There was such pleading in her eyes, the watcher could not deny her. He eased the objecting Kennedy out of the door. Still he had an uncomfortably prickly feeling, he rubbed his neck as if to wipe it away.

“We will be right outside.” He said unnecessarily.

Once the room had cleared Willow opened the large book she had been holding. She swallowed nervously and glanced at Buffy. The slayer nodded for her to begin.
With a breath the witch began to chant in an ancient language. Slowly at first the words began to take on more speed and volume. Her eyes began to darken until they were two black spheres. The atmosphere in the room seemed almost tangible as Willow continued with her spell. Angelus stared from the cot and seemed almost uninterested. Suddenly he began to twitch. Firstly a barely visible tick, it then began to take over the whole body. He fell forwards onto the ground on his hands and knees, a violent reaction seemed to be coursing through his whole body building in time with the crescendo of Willows chant. It stopped as suddenly as with a scream Angelus collapsed onto the floor. All the while Buffy had watched impassively.

“You ok Will?” She asked, not even looking at her friend.

The redhead shook her head as though shrugging off a bad memory. When she opened her eyes they were back to normal. “Fine.” She said her voice slightly hoarse.

“Angel?” Buffy asked.

The vampire tried to move. “Buffy.” He gasped.

“Angel.” She said, her voice sounded full of emotion. Taking the key from her pocket, Buffy unlocked the cell door and stepped inside.

The vampire was struggling to get to his feet. Buffy placed a hand on his arm to help him. Instantly his other hand whipped around grabbing her roughly by the throat. “Guess again Baby!” He growled as he sneered into her face.

With effort Buffy lifted her knees, using her feet to push Angelus backwards, her right arm throwing a punch which connected with his nose. The vampire reeled backwards, wiping away a small trickle of blood.

“You honestly thought that you could burden me with a soul again. C’mon, don’t you know anything?”

“So explain it to me.” Buffy said throwing two more punches, one blocked, the other one connecting with his jaw.

Angelus countered with a punch to her stomach, forcing her to double over. The back of his right fist caught her across he cheekbone, sending her flying. In an instant she was on her feet.

“You should know Buff, it’s Slayer 101. I possess another, not the one that was cursed by the gypsies. You just tried to re-ensoul the wrong body.”

Buffy launched herself at him. Her blows easily blocked just caused him to laugh. She stepped back, flicking the hair out of her eyes.

“You just keep coming baby. The more you fight me the stronger I become.” It seemed to be true more blows just bounced off the master vampire, she was tiring.

Grabbing the slayer Angelus picked her up and threw her backwards against the bars of the cage like a rag doll. A groan escaped her lips as she slid to the floor.

Angelus stood over her. Gripping her around the neck he lifted her limp body. “You’re no match for me girlie.” She looked into that face, Spikes face. “You’re just a slayer… You’re good, but not good enough. I have slayer blood in me. Vampire and slayer blood… you can’t beat that hand.”

Buffy felt the breath being squeezed out of her, she struggled against the hand around her throat. She was close to blacking out…

The tingles began in her shoulder, they were almost unperceivable, but gradually she felt them spread through her body like a wave. The strength returned but this time it was something more, an awesome power that she had never possessed before, but then she had never actually been possessed before.

Angelus changed into game face ready to bury his fangs into her throat. As his head descended Buffys’ right arm shot upwards the heel of her hand catching him under the chin. The sheer power surprised the vampire as his head was forced backwards, his body had no option but to follow. Flipping onto her feet, Buffy could feel the full power of Spike as it coursed through her veins.

All those years of fighting face to face and back to back, there was no dispute, no awkwardness, their two styles merged into one. Angelus found himself under a rein of blows, there was no way he could block them all. He staggered backwards.

“I think you might find I have an ace or two up my sleeve.” She said.

“Wanker!” Spike added. Buffy snapped her mouth shut at the involuntary expletive.

“Leave the talking to me.” She said through tight lips.

“Wanker!” She said in her own voice. “Hey that felt good!” She smiled at the admission. Her moment was short lived. Angelus attempted another lunge, but now it was he who was tiring. Easily dodged, the vampire received a spinning kick for his trouble. He landed awkwardly on the cot. She sprung to stand over him. Punching him in the face, or rather Spike was punching him, she seemed to be watching it all from afar.

“You think I didn’t know you would fake being Angel?” She said. “That wasn’t a spell to bring back his soul, it was a spell to bind, bind me and Spike. One slayer and one very angry vampire trumps your slayer blood.”

With effort she forced Spike to stop hitting him. Angelus lay there, with Spikes face bloodied.

“Bollocks!” Spike exclaimed, “That’s going to take ages to heal!”

Angelus opened his eyes, he wasn’t ready to give up yet. Betrayal by his own childe. He sprang from the cot but they were ready for him, two vicious punches to the face he began to fall forwards, Buffy pushed him back with the palm of her hand… hard. He crashed against the bars of the cage and didn’t move.

Buffy/Spike stretched, each wondering at the new feelings, what it was like to be the other person.

“Freaky.” Buffy said, looking at her arm as if she was seeing it for the first time.

“Willow? You ready?”

The witch nodded from her vantage point by the door. “Here goes nothing.” She said as she began the spell.

Buffy/Spike was busy watching Willow, they didn’t notice Angelus gingerly getting to his feet. Slayer blood, that’s what he needed. Lunging with the last of his strength he grabbed Buffy from behind, her reflexes just a second too slow. She felt the teeth sinking into her neck. His grip had been poor, and with additional vampire speed she managed wrench herself away the stake instinctively in her hand. Despite the adrenalin she froze. Her hand wouldn’t move, suddenly all she could see was Spike, she couldn’t stake him. Spike on the other hand had no such compulsions. It was going to be without doubt one of the stupidest things he’d ever done, but taking over the slayers arm he plunged the stake into his own non beating heart.