Author's Chapter Notes:
The first song is by Ghost of the Robot and the second is Eric Clapton!
It was almost four hours later when I trudged down the hotel hall to my room. We had run into a huge pack of Drakken demons and then there had been a group of four M’Fashnik. Cordy had held her own very well, taking out at least a third on her own, but what had really surprised me had been Wesley. He had been a gadget powerhouse, using crossbows to hold back enemies while Cordelia and I killed them. The three of us had made a great team. I couldn’t wait to have Spike join us. I was sure it would be amazing.

I was covered from head to toe in demon blood. I wanted a hot shower, a hot meal, and lots and lots of sleep. I was actually sore. It had been a great fight.

I opened the door to my room and was greeted by soft candlelight. There were little white tea lights on every flat surface. Lounging on the couch, waiting for me was my beautiful vampire lover.

He was dressed in a rich blue button down shirt and black dress pants. A few of the buttons on his shirt were undone and a stunning column of his pale chest was revealed. I stood in amazement and awe as this vision of masculine beauty unfolded itself from the couch and sauntered toward me. He had the grace of a jungle cat and in my minds eye, I could see the muscles moving under his clothes.

Without words, he took the demon goo covered axe from my hands and dropping it to the floor led me into the bathroom. The deep bathtub was filled with vanilla scented water and candles, once again on every surface. I turned to look at him with questioning eyes. “Thought you might want a bath, when you’re done, there will be something to wear on the bed. Get dressed and join me in the sitting room, luv.” His accent was slightly different. A touch more refined. I was guessing that, if I played my cards right, I would get to see more of this ‘William’ side. He was showing a lot of trust and I wasn’t going to disappoint him.

I sunk down into the warm water and sighed. God, it felt good. I could have spent hours, but then I would have to be away from Spike for far too long. After soaking a few minutes, I quickly washed my hair and all the sticky demon blood from my body. I had to run the water three times to rinse thoroughly. I pulled on the hotel bathrobe and dried my hair as quickly as I could. After plugging in my curling iron, I entered the bedroom.

Lying on the bed was a beautiful black dress with a folded piece of parchment on the top. I unfolded it carefully. In a beautiful script I had only seen once before, was a poem.

She comes home to me after a hard night's work
Falls in my arms and sleeps like a bird
Startle, wakes up, like she don't know me
Cocks back her fist like she's going to slug me
Like, who are you anyway
And what are you doing to me?

She's an angel
But she can't see it
She's got wings,
But she can't feel 'em
She's an angel
But she can't see it
But she's flying above me every day
Every day of my life

Bright diamond eyes with daggers beneath them
She carries the chains of a million decisions
They weren't even hers to begin with anyway
But she carries them all
All the people around her
Never even notice that she's very very tired

She's an angel
But she can't see it
She's got wings
But she can't feel 'em
She's an angel
But she can't see it
But she's flying above me every day
Every day of my life

I didn’t want to cry. Really! But it was beautiful and simple and yet funny and deep. It was just like Spike. I didn’t want to be all Crying Eyes Buffy when I met him in the living room, so I filed away my feelings on the poem to discuss with him later. I turned my attention to the dress. It was silky and short and stunning. I slipped it over my head and, of course, it fit like a well-tailored glove. Falling to mid thigh, the dress skimmed my curves perfectly. The back was a very low scoop held together by a few well-placed straps. I suspected they might be holding the whole dress up. I found a black lace thong on the bed and next to it, a delicate pair of strappy high heels. All I needed was to curl my hair and apply some light makeup and I would be all set.

When I emerged from the bedroom, I was surprised to see the coffee table and the couch had been scooted out of the way and a small dining table had been set up in their place. There were fancy plates heaped with steaming pasta and soft music was drifting through the air. Spike was standing over the table, fussing with the placement of the flatware. It was darling to watch him this nervous.

He looked up and froze. After a few moments and a quick, almost imperceptible shake of his head, he had recovered enough to say, “My God, kitten. You look stunning.”

“This dress is beautiful, Spike,” I whispered. “This is all so…amazing.”

“It pales in comparison to you, my love,” he murmured back, coming forward to take my hand. He led me to the table. He pulled my chair out and seated me. It was all so surreal.

After the pasta was gone and we had killed of almost an entire bottle of wine, Spike got to his feet and asked me to dance. I heard in the background strains of a dong I had always thought to be beautifully romantic. How had he known? Had I ever even told him?

‘It's late in the evening; she's wondering what clothes to wear.
She puts on her make-up and brushes her long blonde hair.
And then she asks me, "Do I look all right?"
And I say, "Yes, you look wonderful tonight."’

As we swayed about the room, I could hear Spike singing in his dulcet tones under his breath against my hair. I had never had man tender moments in my life, but I was sure if I lived until the end of time, I wouldn’t forget this one.

We go to a party and everyone turns to see
This beautiful lady that's walking around with me.
And then she asks me, "Do you feel all right?"
And I say, "Yes, I feel wonderful tonight."

I closed my eyes, my head tucked under his chin as I let his guide me through the room. I had no idea Spike could dance so well. Really, it made perfect sense, I had just never bothered to think about it before.

I feel wonderful because I see
The love light in your eyes.
And the wonder of it all
Is that you just don't realize how much I love you.

It's time to go home now and I've got an aching head,
So I give her the car keys and she helps me to bed.
And then I tell her, as I turn out the light,
I say, "My darling, you were wonderful tonight.
Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight."

At the end of the song, Spike took a deep shaky breath and got down on one knee. I’m sure the shock was visible in my face.

“Buffy, I know that there are things each of us have done in our past that we regret. To each other I mean. But I also know that the past two days have been the best of my life. Going to sleep and waking together. Seeing you throughout my day…not just a Slayer/helper mentality. Watching your eyes light up when you see me, best bloody thing I have ever seen. You have been my enemy, my friend, my lover, my savior, my judge, the thorn in my soddin’ side, my two hour fiancé, my Slayer, and now I want to ask to be something more.” He pulled a small velvet box from his pocket and I gasped, my eyes growing wide while riveted to the object in his hand. “I want you to be my mate and my wife. Will you marry me, Buffy?”