Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N at bottom of page...
Hanging the last of her clothes, the bit she had with her, on the side of the walk-in closet William had told her was just for her, Buffy finally took the time to look around.

Looking at his clothes, his suits neatly organized by color, from black to grey to a dark brown to blue and blue pinstripe, and his shirts next to them in pretty much the same sketch, she noticed how much of a neat freak he appeared to be.

His shoes were all lined up in pairs - dress shoes on top, in the shoe racks, sneakers down on the floor - and peaking into some of the boxes, neatly stacked to one side, she found his motorcycle boots. More pairs than one man should own.

In the built in dressers she found his socks and briefs, another held his t-shirts and undershirts and the last one, on his side, his sweats and shorts.

Walking out of the closet and into his bedroom she frowned as her gaze landed on his bed, wondering where she was supposed to sleep and if they were supposed to share a bed.

Grabbing the sweats and tank-top, she had set aside to change into after she finished unpacking, she walked out from behind the folding screen that separated his sleeping area from his work area, and into his bathroom.

She figured if they really had to, they could share a bed. It wasn't like it would be the first time, and they were married. Then again, he could always expect her to sleep on the couch.

'Wonder if it's a pull-out.'

Throwing her dirty clothes back into the duffle bag and setting it on the side of the bed closest to the wall, she made her way, barefooted, to his living room and sat on his couch to wait for his return.

He had left her "to get settled," while he went out to "hunt for some food." She hadn't been hungry - too nervous and conflicted to have much of an appetite - but when she told him so, he had insisted that she needed to eat, reminding her of the life she carried inside, until she caved and he promised carb-filled goodness.

Too lost in thought to hear the jingling of his keys as he unlocked the door, she startled when the door opened and he walked in carrying a transparent, squared shaped, plastic bag. Two disposable dishes and something wrapped in foil inside.

"Hey, pet," he greeted her as he made his way to the kitchen island and placed the bag down. "I didn't know what you might or didn't like so I thought I'd play it safe and got us Italian. Well, as Italian as spaghetti, salad, and garlic bread can get." He chuckled softly, pulling the containers of food out of the bag and settling them down on the counter.

Buffy smiled softly and stood.

"That's fine, sounds yummy, and I'm not picky." She approached him. "Can I help?"

"Nah, it's okay, don't worry about it, sweet. You just sit yourself down and get comfortable." Spike turned around to get the plates out of the cupboard. "Did you want to eat here, the table, or the living room?"

"Here's fine," she replied sitting down in one of the stools.

He nodded, finishing up serving the food, and placing the plates in front of her.

Setting the rest of the food aside, Spike walked to the refrigerator and pulled out two bottles of mineral water. Placing those in front of her also, he took a seat next to her.

Smiling softly he picked up his fork and speared a piece of lettuce with it, indicating the start of dinner.

They ate in silence, each too lost in thought to attempt to have a decent conversation.






"So how's this all going to work out?" Buffy asked after dinner as she helped him clean, putting their leftovers in the fridge.

"What do you mean?" Spike asked turning to face her.

"Well, I mean... how is this married thing going to work out?" She made her way back to the barstool and took a seat. "You need me for your job right?" She asked and he nodded slowly, coming to sit next to her, facing her. "What does that- what does that mean? Am I your trophy wife? Your... what? What's my role in your life?"

'It's a valid question.' William thought, frowning, trying to find a way to answer her.

"Honestly, I hadn't given it much thought, love. To be fair, it's not like we had a lot of time to work out the details," he paused, contemplating. "I guess... I guess," he placed his elbow on the counter, bringing his hand to rest against his lips. "We'd be expected to act like any newly married couple." 'In love.' He added in his head, his eyes raising to meet hers.

"So, we're... newlyweds?" She asked, an unreadable expression shining from her eyes. "For all intents and purposes?"

"Yeah, I'd..." He nodded, "yeah, I guess we are."

"And... did we date?"

"What d'you...?" His eyebrow rose in request.

"How we met, before we got married? Is it a different story or the truth of 'we met and married in Vegas that same weekend'?" She asked jokingly.

He breathed out a quiet laugh. "How 'bout we don't say anything unless they ask."

"And if they ask?"

"Well then... we'll tell them that we met in Vegas," he dropped his hand on top of hers where it laid on the counter. "We dated for a little while..." leaning in he dropped his voice to a husky whisper, "which is true since we did go out on all of one date." Leaning back he smiled and continued, "and after," he dropped his gaze, "we fell so much in love... that we just... knew, we knew we had to get married." He met her eyes again. "And that, these past few weeks... you've been a busy little chit back at home, getting everything ready so you could come live with your devilishly handsome husband."

Buffy giggled and he leaned forward once again, entwining their fingers together.

"And now you're here," he whispered. His soft, expelled breath caressing her lips.

"I'm here," she repeated, her gaze dipping to his mouth.

Licking her lips and meeting his gaze again, she felt the first stirring of butterflies dance in her stomach.

Eyes falling close, they each leaned forward seeking... something... anything.

A simple touch.

An undemanding caress.

A knock on the door interrupted their fall.




*****

A/N: I was playing around, trying to figure out how the layout to Spike's flat should be... so I made a semi-blue print of the way it might look (I also left a space on the side, just in case I needed a balcony later). If you guys are interested, you can see it... here