Author's Chapter Notes:
Couldn't sleep so I thought I'd post this chapter tonight... today... tonight? It's almost 4AM here so... you decide, lol :P

fic's moving along now, so... soon enough we'll get to part where Spike finds out the truth... they still have a few more things to go through till then so... be patient, lol..

Thanks for all those awesome reviews, they really are my drug, and Brunettepet, thank you for the email, sweet. Made me feel all warm and tingly to know that you took the time to email me to let me know what you thought when the site didn't let you post a review. The truth is still to come but hopefully you'll stick with me till the end :)

Oh, and once again the hottie redhead doctor doesn't belong to me (though she does make continuous appearances in my dreams). I borrowed her from Grey's Anatomy, so all rights to them.
~Four Months Later~



"Spike?" Lilah Morgan, personal assistant to the senior partners, inquired stepping inside the office of the blond man. "You in here?"

"Yeah. Kind of anyways." Came the muffled reply. "You need something?" He asked as he finished pulling the tie over his head and tightened it around his collar, fixing it. He stood up, grabbing his suit jacket as he did, and shrugged it on.

"You going somewhere?" She asked as he grabbed his briefcase.

"Yeah, and I'm late, ducks."

"I need to talk to you." Lilah stated.

"And again I say: I am running late. Any way you can make this quick?" He made his way from behind his desk and to the office door, Lilah following him.

"You're in a hurry."

"I am." Spike said. "I thought we already covered this." He muttered, rolling his eyes and turned off the lights to his office, ushering the brunette outside and pulling the door close behind them.

"Any reason why?" She followed him to the elevator and watched amusedly as he repeatedly hit the button that would bring the car up to their floor.

"I'm late for my wife's doctor's appointment." The corners of his mouth twitched into a guarded smile and she looked down as a twinge of jealousy ran through her. "But uh... you needed something?"

"Oh. Right. I wanted to talk to you."

Spike raised his eyebrows, lips pursing in a silent question.

"It's about--" her voice cut off as the elevator doors opened and Spike stepped in.

"Right. Find me tomorrow, ducks, and we'll talk." He managed to say as the doors closed behind him and the lift started its way down.

"...a promotion." Lilah finished in a whisper before sighing and turning around to go back to her own office.






Spike walked up to the room door, the nurse at the front desk told him his wife would be at, and lightly knocked on it before opening it up to take a peak inside. He smiled as he saw Buffy laying on top of the medical examining table reading a magazine and only wearing a hospital gown. A faded diamond pattern sheet covering her lower body.

"Hey love," he greeted, grinning at her shocked gaze.

"William, I-- what are you doing here?" He closed the door and made his way towards her. "I thought you had a thing - a court work thing."

"I did. It got done pretty quick so I thought I'd surprise you." He leaned down to leave a slow and lingering kiss on her lips, both of them blushing as Dr. Montgomery walked into the room.

"Let me guess," the redheaded doctor said, obviously amused, "you must be William." She extended her hand and Spike reached out to take it, shaking it as he would that of a client.

He smiled and cleared his throat. "Yes m’am. William Pratt."

"Addison Montgomery," she said closing the door and smiling as the blond shyly settled himself besides his wife. "How are we doing today?" She continued, addressing Buffy.

"We're doing good." Buffy smiled handing the magazine she was reading to William and placing a hand atop her swollen belly.

"American Baby." Spike mouthed the words, interested. "Where do I..."

Buffy pointed to her purse laying on one of the chairs and William picked it up. He paused as he opened it to place the magazine inside, seeing an old photograph, slightly wrinkled and curled at the corners, laying on the bottom of her purse.

It was of Buffy, a much younger Buffy. Surrounded by what he guessed were her high school friends - some he recognized others not so much - among them, was a brown haired, hulking boy, his arms around the waist of his wife. 'Ex-boy toy,' he guessed.

Noticing the redhead doctor talking again he put off asking her about it for a later time.

"...Have you decided if you want to know the sex, yet?"

"You can tell that now?" Spike asked, suddenly very interested in their conversation.

"Well, actually, sometimes it's possible to tell as early as 12 weeks, but Buffy here," Dr. Montgomery signalled the young blonde, "has been reluctant to have me tell her. Not that I've been pushing," she quickly added with a half laugh, "but she's--"

"I've been indecisive." Buffy finished, interrupting the doctor and smiling up at her husband. "I didn't know if you'd want to know." She told him, slightly self-conscious.

"Do you?" He questioned as the doctor busied herself getting the sonogram machine in place and everything in order for their monthly check up.

"I don't know." She answered honestly. "Kinda, I want to. But... at the same time, not."

Spike took her hand then, smiling down at her as he brought it up and brushed his lips across her knuckles.

"You wanna be surprised, yeah?"

Buffy smiled shyly and nodded.

"Then my love, surprised we shall be." He leaned down and, smiling, left a kiss upon her brow, sneaking a subtle sniff at her hair. "Will that hurt her?" He asked as he noticed the doctor smearing some sort of gel on her stomach, using a wide wand-like object attached to the sonogram machine.

"No." Buffy answered him instead, "it kinda tickles," she let out a small giggle, proving it so.

"And there," the redhead interjected, after a few moments of silence, pointing to the middle of the screen as she did so, "is your baby."

William's hand grasped his wife's tighter as he stared, in wonderment, at the fuzzy yet focused enough image of their child.

"Buffy," He whispered, his eyes filling with tears as his heart swelled with love. "Look at her." He said, awed and with a reverential hum to his voice. "He's... beautiful."

Swallowing down the lump that had formed in her throat at his worshipful words and gaze, and pushing away the guilt that threatened to overwhelm her, Buffy did the only think she could think of, and with a gentle tug on his arm brought him down for a chain of sweet kisses.

Excusing herself, Dr. Montgomery quickly made her way out of the room to give the couple some privacy.

Buffy could feel William's lips mouthing something against her own in between kisses, as part of the kisses, and when she separated from him enough to make out his silent claim, she cried. Tears spilling freely from her eyes and tumbling down her face as she responded in kind.

"I love you, too."