Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N at the end of this chapter. Thank you for your kind reviews, I will reply to them in time.
Buffy could feel the rhythm of the music pulsating in the air around them as they walked into the night club. It was full, but not overly so.

She could smell the sweat, the liquor, the perfumes women wore, and the general lust permeating the air.

It was intoxicating.

"Hey love," Spike addressed Buffy, smiling. "Here, why don't you go order something to drink, while I uh..." he blushed handing her a twenty dollar bill, "make a quick trip to uh, the little boys room?" He grinned sheepishly as she took the twenty and smiled back. "Wait for me at the bar?" He inquired and waited for her nod.

They parted ways, Buffy heading towards the bar. She sat at one of the stools there and was startled when the bartender, a pretty brunette with big eyes and a friendly smile, appeared before her.

"Hi," the girl greeted, "what'll it be?"

Buffy found herself smiling back, feeling at ease. "A coke--"

"And rum?" The brown-eyed girl interrupted cheerily.

Buffy nodded, smiling, "minus the rum."

"Ah, not drinking tonight?"

"Nope. Can't."

"Underage?" She inquired, smile never wavering.

"Pregnant." Buffy grinned, "but shh," she put a finger to her lips, giggling. "It's a secret."

"I understand." The brunette smiled and went to go fetch her drink.






Spike made his way over to where Buffy was sitting and grinned.

She looked gorgeous sitting there, smiling, her fingers tapping against the bar to the rhythm of the music. She almost seemed to glow.

"Heavenly," he whispered and, like a moth to a flame, made his way to her.

Spike sat down at the bar next to Buffy, turned to her, and promptly took her hand. She smiled at the gesture and opened her mouth to speak.

"Rum and coke." The pretty bartender interrupted before she could, and Buffy turned to her, curious. The brown-eyed girl winked at her and turned to Spike.

"Hey handsome," she drawled, "what's it gonna be?"

"Jack and coke with a shot of tequila, on the rocks." He replied, eyes never leaving Buffy's face.

"Coming right up." She said, smirking at the obvious chemistry between the two blondes.

"Have I told you just how lovely you look today?" Spike inquired, playing with the fingers of one of Buffy's hands.

"You might have," she smirked, "but a girl always loves to hear things like that again."

Spike bit his bottom lip, the motion looking purely predatory on him, and leaned in to brush his lips against her cheek. "You look incredibly gorgeous, pet." He whispered against her ear. Voice husky.

Buffy blushed, squirming in her seat and tapped Spike's knee to let him know his drink had arrived.

"It's on the house." The brunette girl said, placing the drink in front of them. Buffy thanked her and they stood up, making their way to one of the tables scattered around the club.






Spike was on his seventh drink, Buffy on her forth coke, when nature, and a vain need to check that she still looked her best, called.

Buffy stood, grabbing her small clutch and told William, "I need to go powder my nose."

He grinned, returning her smile, and nodded, standing.

"While you do, love, I'm gonna go get another drink." Spike smiled, then motioned to her glass, "want me to get you another?"

"No, I'm good." She smiled and once again they parted ways.






Buffy was making her way out of the bathroom when the beat of one of her favourite songs hit the air. Making her want to dance.

A quick glance at their table revealed that William wasn't back from getting his drink so she headed to the bar in search of him instead.

She spied him, standing, at the side of the bar closest to her.

Buffy started to make her way to him at the same time a blonde and a brunette approached him.






Spike looked up when he felt a soft touch on his arm expecting to see Buffy. He was surprised when instead of meeting Buffy's hazel eyes, his gaze clashed with greyish blue ones. He was more surprised when he noted the eyes belonged to the brunette beauty that had captured his attention... was it just the night before?

After just a day with Buffy, he felt he'd known her all his life, or all his 'dating' life, though the though of playing doctor (or house) with a bitty Buffy, as kids, did have a weird sense of appeal.

He snapped out of his thoughts when the brunette introduced herself and her friend and asked him to dance.

Buffy reached William as he spoke to the two women in front of him, not yet noticing her arrival.

"I'm sorry, ladies." He was saying. "I'm here with someone."

"I'm sure she wouldn't mind if we stole you away for one dance." The blonde one said, smiling flirtatiously and something about her voice and the way she held herself tickled Buffy's memory.

"I'm sure she wouldn't," William responded, "Buffy's a great girl, but maybe it's not her the one that minds."

"Buffy?" They questioned, both to his mention of her and to her sudden presence at his side.

Buffy, after a quick glance at William's face, finally chanced a look at the two women talking to her date.

Instantly it clicked in her mind why the voice of the blonde had stirred her memory of times past.

"Mom?"






Spike's glance floated from Buffy's face to the gaping blonde woman standing in front of them, after his companion's sudden announcement.

"Buffy," she blinked, surprise colouring her voice and features. "What, uh... what are you doing here?" She inquired for lack of a better question.

"I'm uh..." Buffy glanced at William and was grateful when his hand came to rest on her lower back while his other hand left his drink on the bar in search of her fingers. "I'm on a date."

Spike could feel the tension surrounding all four of them and wondered what was going on. And how weird was it that his girl-- 'no, not girlfriend. Date.' date's mum had hit on him.

"You look good," Darla Summers said as she took in her daughter. "All grown up."

"Well, I would, considering the last time you saw me was six years ago." Buffy couldn’t keep the hurt and rage from seeping into her carefully controlled voice.

Spike stood, downing his drink in a couple quick gulps, and tangled his and Buffy's hands together at the same time. "Excuse us ladies." He spoke, guiding Buffy away, hoping that he was reading her correctly in her need to get away.

"Come on, Dru." Darla said, taking hold of the brunette's arm and leading her away from the bar. "Lets get out of here."






Spike helped Buffy take a seat at their table exceedingly curious about what had just transpired a few minutes before, but knowing it wasn't his place, or right, to ask.

Buffy took her drink from William's hand giving him a grateful smile.

The last person she had expected to see in a night club, in Vegas of all places, had been her mother.

The last time she had seen her, had been when she was fifteen and they still lived in L.A. Her mother, who'd had her when she, herself had been fifteen, had gotten into some trouble with the authorities and in a last effort to escape jail, and possibly rehab, she had hastily packed their stuff, pulled her out of school and made her way out of L.A. and onto places unknown.

They had stopped in the small town of Sunnydale for food and gas and Darla had been apprehended when an officer had recognized her from the APB they had put out for her and Buffy had been thrown into foster care.

A year later she'd received a letter from her mom, letting her know that Darla was out, all with the well, and that she wouldn't be asking for Buffy back. That she needed a fresh start and having a daughter tag along would only hold her back.

As much as she had told Joyce and Tara, her foster mom and sister, otherwise, the letter had broken her heart and left her wounded in a way that would never heal.

Joyce had told her not long after, to consider herself a part of their small, if broken, family and that she was welcome to stay with them for as long as she wanted and/or needed.

Buffy snapped out of her thoughts as she caught William's questioning look. She smiled at him giving him the shortened version.

"She got into some trouble when I was fifteen," Buffy explained. "I got put into foster care, she never bothered to come back." She paused. "This is the first time I've seen her since." She smiled sadly and took a drink of her coke. "C'mon," she smiled a little brighter and grabbed a hold of his hand. "Lets go dance."

Spike followed her to the dance floor wrapping his arms around her as a slow song started to play.






After their dance and a few more drinks, Spike had tried to lighten their mood back to the happy, comfy feeling they had shared all day and the night before.

He figured Buffy wanted, and felt the need, to let go of the brief unpleasant moment that had threaten to ruin their night because she had let herself get carried away with his jokes and silly courtroom stories.

He briefly wondered if the drinks she had steadily consumed that night had part in her being so carefree, knowing that he was more than a bit drunk himself, but the thought quickly vanished as her soft laughter reached his ears.

She looked amazing, sitting there, laughing with him. Her long, honey blonde hair glowed, her golden tan was luminous, her smile brightened the room and made his heart beat just that much more faster.

She was breathtaking.

'Effulgent.'

"Do you know what would make your birthday really memorable?" Spike questioned, not caring that it was after midnight. His voice caressing her laughter.

"What?" She asked, her laughter continuing, intoxicated on the good mood that had settled around them. William leaned towards her, enraptured. He looked into her twinkling eyes.

"If we were to get married." He said and pushed his lips against hers.


~*~


A/N: I posted this chapter today, even though I felt that it wasn't quite ready and still needed a bit of work because I wanted to let you guys know that I'm putting this fic on a short hiatus. Keyword here, short. My wife had a miscarriage, and since this was... a wanted pregnancy, much wanted, it upset us greatly. I hope you understand my need for a bit of time and don't mind waiting a bit for the next chapter.