Author's Chapter Notes:
I own nothing - I simply borrow on multiple occasions - like an annoying little sister. Joss Whedon and Rob Thomas own all. I am simply a meer minion.
The annoying bell, above the door, rang once I entered the shop. Then I was met with the annoying Spike. Great. Today is the day he wants to pay attention to me. Couldn’t he have picked a day where I wasn’t in “Who Is the Murderer?” mode?

“Buffy - actually on time today? Alert the bloody press.” Spike mumbled as he walked by.

“Spike - decided to grace us with your presence today?” I said as I walked past him to behind the counter.

“Yes, thought you might need some help.”

“Right - you’re here because you are considerate and thoughtful.”

“Well…yeah.”

“Who did you piss off today Spike?”

“Besides you apparently?”

“You piss me off every day - today I’m just more vocal about it. So you’re here because of what? Dru dump you again?”

“Oi - you know rat’s ass about anything about Dru.”

“Okay - looks like I’m not going to find out - which upsets me really - cause you know I truly care.”

“You play this bad ass role all day - then you’re shocked when people are mean to you.”

“Shocked? Nope not really. That would give some sort of meaning that I actually care. And I don‘t think you should be the one lecturing on the pretending to be ‘bad ass’ role.” I said as I looked at his outfit in disgust. Black. Black. Black. All it was. Black jeans. Black shirt. Black shoes. And a black leather duster to top it all off. The only splash of colour is his peroxide hair. That and his blue eyes - no I did not just mention his eyes.

“Oh you care - you know you’d have friends if you were actually civil to people.”

“Thanks for the tip.” I say as I give him thumbs up.

“Just think about it alright?”

“Oh I’ve thought about it - then I quickly labelled it insanity. People have to be civil to me first.”

“But they won’t if you keep acting this way.”

“Ok - I get it - you’re new. You don’t understand the rules here in Sunnydale.”

“Right - I think I know how to act in society.”

“Not this one.” I say as I turn and walk down to the basement. I sigh as I hear the heavy footsteps, only his boots can make, follow me down the stairs. “What do you want?”

“Fine - tell me the rules. Obviously this will be educational and very helpful.”

“Fine. Rule one: Be rich. Rule two: Don’t talk to Buffy Summers. There you are set - go pave your way through life. That’s all you need to know.”

“Right. Technically I’m breaking both rules right now?”

“Yes. You can’t be an elite. Not by the rules - but since Angel has apparently adopted you - you’re in. If you want to keep it that way - go away.” And I busied myself with organizing a shelf just hoping I would hear those same footsteps going up the stairs. I could feel his stare on me - hear his breath - and finally he turned swiftly around and stomped his way up the stairs. I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding.

*Way to go Buffy - put off the first person to actually speak to you. Great plan. Oh well - he would have figured it out soon enough. Giles and he have only been here for 2 weeks. Again why was he being nice to me today?*

I stayed down there as long as I could - didn’t really know why I was avoiding him…he’s no different then the others. Maybe now he would get it and ignore me…like the others. He just needed someone to tell him how it is. Why hadn’t Angel told him? Or Dru?

Dru…she is a strange one. You can see why men find her attractive - I mean you just have to look at her. But she holds this air about her - mystery, power, and darkness. She could have killed Dawn. As for motive - anything could have set her off. She is insane after all. I’m shocked the school allows her around others. She needs to get help. I hate to admit it - but she’s been better since Spike arrived. Who would have thought those two would hit it off? Okay - it was a high possibility - but who would have thought he would have stayed this long. With her episodes, drug addictions, her lack of commitment and of course sanity? Any one would go as mad as her having to deal with that everyday. Sure, Dru is insane - but murder? Insane enough to kill?

“The morning light shall come with Miss Edith and I and we shall have a party.” Dru said as Dawn approached her.

“Dru - how do you even know where I live?”

“The stars told me.” She says as she giggles and raises her arm above her head, pointing to the sky.

“Right….common lets get you inside and I’ll call Angel or someone,” said Dawn as she pulled on Dru’s arm.

Once inside Dru runs frantically upstairs and Dawn quickly follows, “Okay Dru - I get it - but fun time is over - let’s just call Angel and get him over here - or Buffy.” she finds her in her room, just standing in the middle of the room - staring at the wall - swaying slightly.

“Sunshine will be here soon enough and yet it will be too late.” Dru says as she continues to sway.

“Okay - what ever Dru - I’m calling Angel. He’ll know where to take you…” Dawn said as she started to turn to leave the room.

“You don’t belong here you know. No - not in this world. Miss Edith has told me your tale. And this one isn’t it,” Dru said as the pointed to Dawn’s back, who had stopped in her walk out the door, “All your dollies are in the wrong order - you don’t know what to do. They don’t know what to do. You haven’t named them - how are they to know?” Dru begins to wail on the ground and Dawn approaches her.

“Dru - it’s okay - how about you name the dollies?” Dawn said as she turned around and started walking to her bed.

“But I will name them all the same name - and there will be terrible confusion. You’ve been a naughty girl, fake morning light, and you need to leave this tale. It’s time for you to go.” Dru whispered as she grabbed the phone off the desk and raised it above her head.

“What?” Dawn questioned as she turned around, only to be hit with the phone on the side of her head. She quickly fell to the ground.

“It’s time for you to go - and now you’ve gone. The tale is right again.” Dru chattered as she wiped the phone on her dress. She then set the phone gently down on the ground beside Dawn’s lifeless body. “It was just your time - you didn’t belong anyway.”

Dru walked silently and quietly out of the house. Giggling her way down the street, rambling about the stars and light knights on the way to darkness and the sun.


The bell shook me from the vision - that damn bell. I’m going to rip it down one day. Rip it right off, throw it on the ground, and stomp on it. No - I’m not violent. Just annoyed. Wait - the bell rang - that means a customer. Crap - get upstairs now - Spike’s probably left anyway. I hope at least.

I quickly run up the stairs, hoping that the customer wouldn’t be to upset to be left waiting. I can’t let Giles down - he’s given me a lot of trust and faith. Something I’ve been in short supply of lately. I open the door leading to the shop, smile plastered on my face, ready to help the next vengeful lover.

“Hi and welcome to the Magic Box, you‘re one stop spot to shop for all your occult needs.” I smile, proud of myself that I didn’t mess the slogan up this time. I look at the customer, I don’t recognize him. Wow - the first person I don’t know in this town. “Can I help you?”

“Um…ya. Are you Buffy Summers?”

I lookdown at my nametag that clearly reads ‘Buffy’ but go with it, “Depends on who’s asking…salesman?”

“Uh..no.”

“Pledge of some fraternity?”

“Still in high school.”

“McDonald?”

“Um, no thanks? I just ate.”

“No - is your last name McDonald - or are you in any way, shape, or form connected to the McDonald family?”

“Not that I know of - why is there some sort of inheritance if there is?”

“Probably but someone has yet to knock off the guy…”

“Ok…let’s do this again...My name is Xander…Harris. I’m new.”

“I figured.”

“Okay…I’m supposed to speak with Buffy because I’m new. I mean the teachers told me that she was the one to talk to for 3rd period film studies?”

“Oh...in that case - hi, I’m Buffy Summers.”

“That’s good - that’s really good.”

“That’s a reaction I haven’t heard…ever.”

“Oh, that’s interesting…”

“So what about film studies?”

“Oh…OH…I’m supposed to get the notes off of you - and you are like supposed to help me, if you can of course, because it’s halfway through the year - and I have no idea what film studies is about. We do watch movies right?”

“Kinda the point of the class.”
“Oh good - I’m good at that. Watching movies that is.”

“Well I don’t have the notes here right now…but you can stop by here tomorrow if you can.”

“Can’t you just give me the notes tomorrow during class?”

“I’ll let you decide that after 2 periods in good old Sunnydale High. But yeah - I can do that. If you don’t want to just come by tomorrow - I’ll be here. Same shift all week.”

“Ok...I guess I’ll see you at school tomorrow.”

“Yes.” I say as I watch him leave the store.

*And hear about me too Xander Harris.*