After a boring and uneventful car ride, spent mostly of me wondering the same question. Why did Xander contact me? I arrived at the hospital. The feeling of dread came over me as I approached the front doors. I hate hospitals. I fear them. I only have bad memories here…

I broke my arm when Timmy, my old neighbour, pushed me off the slide at my 5th birthday. My cousin died in front of my eyes here. My grandmother died of phenomena. And finally…Dawn’s autopsy was done here.

Only bad memories.

I take a deep breath and silently laugh at my self. The Buffy Summers is afraid of a hospital. A boring building filled with boring people. Can’t let that get out. Like it would ruin my reputation right? I’m tough. Can’t show weakness. You have to be rich or a criminal to survive here in Sunnydale. Most likely both. For me, you have to be tough. Tough so they won’t break you. And they never will.

I realised I have just stopped right before the entrance. People are looking at me funny, but really when are they not? I take my first step towards the door. Towards getting answers about Xander.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I find the room Xander is in from the receptionist. Room 314. I have to walk past the room where I waited for the news of Dawn’s autopsy. Some must find it weird I waited for the results. But I couldn’t leave her. Couldn’t leave her totally alone. I was in the same building she was…and for a while, I could imagine she was alive. That she would just walk around the corner, calling me lame or something like that.

I try not to look at waiting room as I pass it. But I can’t help it. I can practically see my ghost, sitting on the ugly couch, my sleeves balled into my fists, staring at the ground. Silently begging myself to stop crying. I am alone. It was just me in the waiting room...no family…no friends. Mom had locked herself in her room and wouldn’t stop crying and screaming. Dad was off somewhere with his mistress. And me - I was sitting in a hospital waiting room…

I suddenly come back to reality, and it hits me brutally. I forgot shortly why I was in the hospital. For a moment, I experienced Dawn’s death all over again. The exact feeling I felt in that room. Hollow.

I shake off the feeling, and continue my walk to Xander’s room. I finally find it, and thank who ever is listening, as this will give me something else to think about.

I lightly knock on the door. I can’t hear anything. When no one answers, I enter silently. I quickly notice a form on the lonely bed. Their back is to me.

“Xander?”

The person mumbles something to me and I get closer. “Hey - it’s me - Buffy…”

I was now right beside the bed. I figured it was Xander as I noticed his bag that he had yesterday on the table. I said his name again, then gently tapped him on the shoulder.

He rolled over and I gasped. His face was badly beaten. His right eye was swollen shut, his lip split, and his nose obviously broken. “My God…what happened?”

His only working eye looked towards the ceiling, “Oh nothing…”

“Right nothing. I bet you just tripped and landed on someone’s fist - multiple times. Or I should have seen the other guy right?”

“Ok - I got jumped…”

“By?”

“Sorry...but I didn’t really get a chance to introduce myself and read their name tags,” he said as he turned towards me.

“Of course…when did this happen?”

“This morning. Right before school.”

“Where?” I question.

“Behind the gym…I got kinda lost.”

“Big school…” I say as my words slightly die off.

“A janitor found me. I was brought here…had to give a statement and everything. That was pretty cool…”

“So I’m assuming you met the Sheriff?”

“That pleasant little troll man who said I did it myself?”

“That’s Snyder for you. Just spreading sunshine where ever he goes.”

“People actually voted for him?”

“Well he kind of won by default…when the other candidate dies…”

“Dies?”

“Oh yeah - this like killer wolf attack. It was huge - made front page. Too bad though…Flutie would have so beaten him…” I realise I’ve gone way off track and quickly end my sentence.

“Oh…that’s not good…”

“No…any way. Why am I here?” That’s me. Straight to the point girl.

“Because you care about my well being?”

“Well I wouldn’t even know if you hadn’t contacted me.”

“I didn’t have any references down. And they wouldn’t leave me alone till I gave them one.”

“So why not your parents?”

“Only my dad…and I doubt he would care even if he was sober enough to answer the phone.”

“Oh…I know the feeling - just the lack of booze.” I say as my eyes look towards the ground.

“It sucks…”

“That it does.”

“Anyway, do you know why you were jumped?”

“Not really sure…they said something about ‘Stop hanging with Stuffy’ and -”

I cut him off, “Stuffy?”

“Yeah - mean anything to you.”

“Just a bit… it was Riley Finn - a vindictive bastard that goes to our school. He has called me ‘Stuffy Buffy’ for a while now…” Since Dawn’s death…

“He also said to stop ‘Hitting on his girl’…”

“You were hitting on Amy?”

“Who is Amy?”

“Riley’s girlfriend.”

“I don’t’ think so - I mean I asked a girl for directions to English…”

“That was probably her - Riley’s a bit accusatory…”

“My face can tell…” he joked as he softly touched a bruise on his cheek.

“Well congratulations, you managed to tick off the Jocks and the Sheriff’s Department in your short time here.”

“I’m assuming this is bad.”

“Very. But don’t worry they will pay.” I say as a smile comes to my lips. I’m going to enjoy ripping Riley down a few pegs…