Author's Chapter Notes:
here's some Spike - lots more in the next chapter which I am working on now. :)
Another uneventful day at school had finished. Time to go to work. It’s not that I don’t like it - extra money helps with the bills. However, Spike has been hanging around lately. I’m not sure why. Hanging around me will tarnish his reputation.

I enter the shop, the annoying bell making my presence known. Giles is standing behind the counter, writing something.

“Hey Giles.” I greet warmly

“Oh, hello Buffy. How are you today?” I smiles sincerely at me. Giles is like a breath of fresh air in this town.

“I’m just dandy. And you?”

“Exhausted. Too many customers at one time…”
“Darn those customers - always coming in wanting to buy stuff. What do they think this is? A store?” I joke as I approach him.

“Yes…I know. They can be a bit overwhelming.”

“That they can - but I am here to take them off your hands. You should go have tea and read or something you British do.”

“I think I will head home for tonight. Just remember to turn off all the lights.”

“Yup, I will.”

“Have a goodnight then.” He said as he approached me did something unexpected. He hugged me.

“Wow - you have a goodnight too.”

“Sorry, just felt like it - you’ve been such a help lately,” he said as he cleaned his glasses and back away.

“Well you are paying me.”

“Yes, but you are always here working. I feel you should be out with your friends, doing whatever you youngsters do today.”

“Nope, I have nothing to do. I like working here. Speaking of ‘youngsters’ is your son going to be here?”

“Oh he is in the back - seems as though he does not wish to go out either. Strange.”

“Ok - I will see you tomorrow. Go read or something. I’ll tell him you’ve left.”

“Thank-you Buffy. Beware…I think he is in a bad mood today.”

I laugh as he walks out the door, the bell ringing.

When is he not in a bad mood?

I turn as I hear the back door open.

A topless Spike walks out, while he rubs his hair with a towel, “Rupe’s left huh?”

Don’t ask me why they felt necessary to put a gym in the back of the shop.

“Um..ya. He went home to read or something.” I turn back around and head to the counter.

“Ok. Heard about you and Finn.”

“There’s a me and Finn?” I look at him with confusion on my face.

“Ya - a lot of people saw you at the bleachers. Riley said you guys got a bit cozy.”

“All Riley got ‘cozy’ to was a tazer. When did you hear this?” I laugh silently as I recall the memory.

“In the locker room after gym.”

“Oh - am I usually the topic of discussion in there?” I look at him directly, slight humour in my voice

Spike at least had the decency to look ashamed, “Well…sort of.”

“No I get it. Riley has nothing else to talk about. Might as well start up a rumour about Buffy Summers. I can’t believe I let him walk away today - so should have hit him with the tazer. I’m still going to get him back though. I despise that inbred hick.” I rant.

“Why do you hate everyone so much?” he questions

“They hate me.” I answer in a tone that clearly says ‘duh’.

“I’m sure they don‘t…” his words die off as he realises what I said was true.

“They hate me. I hate them. It’s the way this town works.”

“And why is that exactly? You really need to get over the fact that Angel dumped you.”

“Is that really the reason you believe? Because Angel dumped me. True that happened…but it’s not the reason why the town is against me. Not even close.” I look at him, my anger rising. I laugh lightly, obviously showing that I think he is a moron.

“Well it could be the fact that you are a bitch. No wonder he dumped you.”

“This has nothing to do with Angel! How dare you pass judgement on me when you don’t even know the story! At least the town knows the facts. I knew there was a reason I hated you.”

“And why is that?”

“You believe anything anyone tells you! You probably think that I am a cold-hearted bitch that will sleep with anyone. That I’m still in love with Angel. That I stalk him. That I turned evil when he dumped me. The crazy ex-girlfriend. You believe every rumour. But you want to know the truth? That’s not me. And everyone knows it - Angel knows that’s not me. But you want to know why he acts like he does? Because he is afraid - afraid that he will have to look at the town for what it truly is - hell. This town is hell.”

“Hell? You made it that way for yourself. Maybe if you weren’t such a bitch there wouldn’t be rumours. This ‘hell’ is your doing. Brought it upon yourself you did.”

“Oh yes I brought it upon myself,” I laugh as I look towards the ceiling, “I’m at fault for my sister’s death.”

“What?”

“Oh? You didn’t hear that story of the Summers’? Yeah - my sister is dead. I came home to find her dead in her room - her head smashed in with a phone! My sister was murdered and the investigation is practically closed! Just because I’m not with the ‘in’ crowd anymore…” I try to hold back the tears but I fail miserably.

“I didn’t know…”

“No - I bet you didn’t…but the rest of the town does - and they hate me for it - I brought to attention the demons that live here. No one cares that I lost my sister! My sister is dead! Dead! And everyone thinks that some dirty rumours are going to hurt me. They won’t. I died when she did - I’m just a shell of what I was - a strong shell at that. I’m strong and I’m fighting. It’s hard and it’s painful, and it’s everyday!”

Spike looked shocked at my outburst. Who wouldn’t? I’ve completely lost it. I told myself I wouldn’t crack in front of anyone…broke my own promise. Way to go Buffy.

He opens his mouth, then closes it again. This action repeats for a while.

“Now you have no words? Wow - why didn’t I try this sooner? Breakdown should have been the first thing I tried…”

“I didn’t know…”

“No…you didn’t. But now you do.”

“I’m sorry,” he says, as he looks right at me.

I wipe my eyes in a foolish attempt to regain some sort of normalcy. I bring my hands down from my eyes, and I look at him. We just stand there, looking at each other.

Not knowing what comes next.