Author's Chapter Notes:
Toldja the next few chapters would be coming along quicker! We’re heading into the final stretch of the story, with another 2 or 3 chapters after this one. Thanks for all the encouraging reviews for the previous chapter--don’t forget to review this one, too!
Chapter 42

“We have to what?!” “Bloody hell, no!”

Travers had expected this reaction. He hadn’t clawed his way up to the position of Head of the Council of Watchers without being able to foresee hurdles, or prepare for them. His case was already made and practiced (hey, an experienced tactician never jumps into the fray unprepared).

“Buffy, William... There is still a chance that the baby is in danger. It may seem as though your mission was successful, but it would be prudent to err on the safe side by keeping the child with both of you, those most capable of looking after her best interests. At least until our coven is able to determine that the danger has subsided. Victoria Blakeford may be in a position to come back from wherever she was taken; until we know for sure, we can‘t afford to take any chances.”

This wasn’t how it was supposed to go. Buffy had envisioned handing the baby over to some Mary Poppins-like lady before heading back to the hotel to crash for oh, a few days. Her body ached everywhere, her clothes were torn, and she was still covered in Pelorak blood. She needed a bath and about twelve hours’ sleep. Spike, who stood beside her, was in no better shape. Except he looked like he needed about twenty-four hours’ sleep.

Damn this new conscience of his! The old Spike would have told the Council to screw themselves, that they could take care of the tot, threat of danger or not. Of course, the old Spike wouldn’t have stayed on after his conditions hadn’t been met; he wouldn’t have risked life and limb to rescue some slave. And he sure as hell wouldn’t have fought dozens of Pelorak to save a baby. But the new Spike? Well, that was a different story.

The two blondes made eye contact and, resigned to the temporary extension of their duties, nodded.

Buffy spoke on their behalf. “Ok, Travers. We’ll take care of the baby until it’s deemed that she’s safe. Anyway, after the crap we went through tonight, this should be a breeze...”

***

“Slayer, I think you’ve got it on backwards.”

“Spike? Shut up and let me do this.”

“No, I know you’re doing this wrong.”

“Listen here, back-seat-diaper-changer-guy, are you saying that you know more about diapers than me?”

Spike held up the package of diapers and pointed to its front. “No, but I’m smart enough to see that the baby on the picture has the...” His brow creased as he stared at the picture. “...red fuzzy thing...”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Elmo. He’s called Elmo.”

“Fine. If you look at the picture, Elmo’s on the baby’s front. Probably easier to put the nappy on if you’re pulling the velcro thingies to the front, anyway.”

“Ugh. Fine. Give me a hand, though. I’ve no idea how something so small can squirm so much.” The young woman managed to turn the diaper around. Huh, she wondered, whaddaya know. It *is* way easier like this. She looked back up to the bleached blonde as she pressed the velcro tabs in place. “After this, maybe you can wash up a bit and go out and get all that stuff we need. I doubt that these diapers the Council gave us are going to last long enough.”

Spike nodded, dangling his set of keys just beyond Dawn’s reach. “Alright. But don’t expect any sort of fancy, cutesy stuff. I’m just popping in to the first store I see to grab the basics. I doubt that’s much, anyway. What more do you need for a tot aside from nappies and milk?”

***

The bell above the door pealed as Spike stepped into the small family-run store. He had more than a hunch that this was going to be yet another experience to add to his ‘weird things I’ve been through’ list. In just over a week, he’d gone from being the Big Bad to shopping for nappies. He muttered a few curses under his breath as he looked around for someone to help him. Just as he was about to holler for assistance--rather rudely, with the mood he was in--he heard someone’s voice.

“William?”

The vampire spun around to face the person who had called out. As the young woman approached him, he had to fight not to twitch or stare. He leaned against the counter, trying to steady himself, masking it as a casual pose. Her resemblance to Dru was uncanny--thin, of average height, long dark curls surrounding a pale face with large eyes. Shaking off the strange feeling, he forced a weak smile. “Have we met?”

“No, I‘m afraid we never have.” She approached him gracefully, examining him closely. “You just look like a William.” The young woman hadn’t missed the strange look that flitted across the man’s face. Never one to be shy, she cocked her head to the side, clucking her tongue. “Is something the matter? You look as though you’ve seen a ghost. I hope I didn‘t frighten you earlier, by calling you by your name. It‘s a bit of a... gift... I‘ve always had. Of course, my parents have always discouraged it--especially Mother. Seems to think it‘s a bad omen or something.” She shook her head and chuckled. “’S a bit silly, to make such a fuss over a sixth sense...”

Spike tried to remain calm. Damn--she even had some of Dru’s mannerisms. All she needed to do now was to close her eyes and spin around, nattering about pixies. “No ghost, luv. You just remind me of someone I know.” He let out a nervous laugh. “Practically her spittin’ image, to tell the truth.”

“Well, can’t be family. Don’t look at all like anyone on Mum’s side and most of my Father’s family was killed early in the nineteenth century. It’s an horrible story, actually. I’m the first girl to be born to a Gooderman since then.” She gave him a strange smile, unsure as to why she was giving a stranger such intimate details about her family. Shaking the feeling off, she swept her left arm in a Vanna White impression. “Now, how can Gooderman’s help you?”

The vampire had to restrain himself from asking the hows and wheres of her family’s murders. If Dru really did have descendants, it was best that no one know. Especially not someone linked to Angelus and Dru herself.

“Yeah. We--that’s my, um, girlfriend and I--have to keep an eye on a baby for a couple of days. I just need to pick up... whatever we need.” Damn. Why was he so embarrassed about all this? After all, it wasn’t like it was his own baby. And it sure as hell wasn’t the Slayer’s--now, wouldn’t that be a hoot, Slayer havin‘ a baby? He ducked his head and scratched the back of his neck. “Truth is, neither of us have an inkling of what we need.”

The brunette smiled. God, this was hilarious--she’d never seen anyone so embarrassed about picking up nappies and formula before. Not even the men sent in to pick up their wives’ feminine hygiene products looked as put out as poor William. Actually, if he hadn’t mentioned his girlfriend, she would seriously have considered asking him out. For some odd reason, she felt a connection to him. Weird.

“Well, no need to be so bashful about it. Taking care of babies isn’t always instinctual; actually, it hardly ever is.” She grabbed a shopping cart and led the bleached blonde to the far end of the store. “So, do you just need the basics, or everything?” At the man’s blank stare, she gave him a wide shopkeeper grin that would have made Anya proud. “Well, then, let’s see where we can start.”

They made their way along the aisles, filling the cart with all the necessities. Spike was astounded at the number of things that were needed. It was a good thing he hadn’t relied on the list he and the Slayer had come up with, because the baby would have been fed whole milk and they’d have run out of diapers after two nights.

“You sure we need this many?”

The woman laughed. “Yes, you do. It’s funny, but the younger they are the more nappies they go through.” Looking into the cart, she took stock of what they‘d accumulated so far. “Ok. We have formula, nappies, wipes, bibs, bottles, a few sleepers, some blankets... I know I‘m forgetting something...” She bit her lip in concentration before her eyes grew large. “Aha! Does the baby have anywhere to sleep?” When Spike shook his head, she pulled his coat sleeve. “Come on. You’ll also need a bassinette, and...”

The vampire followed her silently, quite happy that the Council was footing the bill on this one. Come to think of it, might even go ahead and buy the tot a few extras. A few *expensive* extras... To hell with what he’d told Buffy; if the Council was paying, this was going to be the most spoiled baby in town.

When it was all said and done, the young woman led Spike to the register. As he filled out the blank cheque he’d been given, the vampire realised that he hadn’t found out her name. Handing her the cheque he shook her hand. “Never quite caught your name, Miss...”

“Edith. My name’s Edith.”

***

Stunned, Buffy sat at the table, slack-jawed. All she had done was ask Spike how the shopping trip had gone and she’d been bombarded with curses about ‘bleedin’ ghosts’ and ‘bloody psychic dolls’ before he’d stormed back out for a smoke.

Shaking her head, she began to unpack the numerous bags and boxes--and how the hell had all that fit in the car, anyway?!--that had been dumped at her feet. As long as she’d live, she’d never understand how that vampire’s mind worked.

***

“Have you got the bloody thing ready yet?!” Spike called over the baby’s hysterical shrieks. He paced the length of the room, bouncing Dawn in a steady rhythm, trying to soothe her. This hadn’t been part of the plan when he’d agreed to help save the world. Playing au pair wasn’t on his long list of things to do and he certainly didn’t have the experience or patience that a situation like this required.

He was tired, he was cranky, and he was in a lot of pain. And it didn’t help that every time he bounced Dawn, her legs scraped against his burns. Conversely to what he’d hoped, a very subdued Amelia had asked to have the ring back. Its disappearance had been noticed and she’d had to come clean about ’lending’ it to Spike. Head Council members were not impressed, and her fate as a Watcher was still to be determined.

But, as poorly as he felt, the vampire managed to reign in his anger while repeating a mantra over and over again in his head: I will *not* shake the baby; I will *not* shake the baby; I will *not*...

Buffy tried to remain calm; this was the fifth time Spike had called out in less than three minutes and it was really starting to get on her nerves. Realising that he was in much more pain than her, and that Dawn’s wailing was no doubt louder to his vampiric hearing, the young woman just gripped the counter and counted to ten. Over and over again. Peach air in, irritating vampire out... peach air in, irritating vampire out... “For the hundredth time, Spike, it says we have to boil the water for ten minutes! Then we obviously have to wait for the water to cool down before we can give it to her.” She checked her watch once again, noting that only two minutes were left for the boiling.

Thank God, or I’d have to pull his arms off and beat him to death with them...

***

“Two bloody ounces. All that screamin’ for two bloody ounces...” Spike held up the bottle with his free hand, swishing the remaining six ounces around. “Are you sure we can’t keep this for later? Seems a waste, if you ask me.”

“Well I guess the experts weren’t asking you, were they?. It says ’do not reheat’ and, seeing as I’ve never done this before, I’m going to take their word for it.” Buffy was almost whispering, from fear of waking the baby. It had taken Spike five additional minutes to calm Dawn down enough so he could feed her, and then she had practically inhaled the two ounces before falling into a coma-like state. “Do you want me to put her in the playpen? And, may I add, Travers is gonna be pretty pissed off that you went and bought all this extra stuff. I mean, do we really need a swing?”

The vampire handed the sleeping beauty to the Slayer so she could put her down for the night. “Hey, he’s the one who gave me a blank cheque. Anyway, I figured it was the best way to get back at them for guilting us into this; she can keep the stuff when she goes... wherever. As for the playpen, it was cheaper than a crib and we needed somewhere other than a suitcase or desk drawer to put her in.”

Dawn didn’t even flinch as she was gently laid down in the pen’s bassinet. Tiny mouth half open, little arms splayed out at her sides like a scarecrow, she slept as calmly as a child who had never been kidnapped and nearly sacrificed. The cut she’d received from the ritual had healed almost immediately, but that didn’t lessen Buffy’s guilt over not having checked it over before arriving at Council Headquarters.

The young woman watched the baby sleep before taking a seat beside Spike on the couch. Snuggling against his side--careful not to brush against the wound to his abdomen--she sighed. “Shouldn’t she be a little more... I don’t know, a little more freaked? I mean, she’s been manhandled by Evan’s mom and her band of not-so-merry demons for the last month and a half, but she’s sleeping like she was at home with Mommy and Daddy and nothing bad had ever happened.”

“Honestly? I think she’s special, love.” Spike craned his neck to peer into the pen. “Remember when they handed her back to us at the Council? It was like she recognized us. Don’t think tots that young can do that, never mind the super healing bit. You know what it’s like for these prophecy babies. They’ve always got some sixth sense about ’em or something.”

The Slayer remained pressed against the vampire until she took a deep breath. Pulling herself up from the comfort of the couch, she wrinkled her nose. “Ugh. I smell. I think I’m finally going to go have that bath I’ve been thinking about for the past four hours.”

Spike got up after her. “Sounds like a nice idea, pet. How ’bout I join you, and we can wash each other’s back?” He wagged his eyebrows and gave her a smirk.

“If you join me, I doubt we’ll be getting any washing done. And, tempting as that is, someone’s got to stay with the baby. With both of us in there, we’ll never hear it if she wakes up.” Buffy gasped as Spike walked over, wrapping his strong arms around her. She could feel the tenuous control he was exerting over himself in the tension in his muscles; he was holding back, and she wasn’t sure she wanted him to.

“People in Ireland will hear her screams, love; she’s like a banshee. And remember--vampire, here... Come on, there’s no way we won’t hear...”

The young woman felt her legs weaken as a cold tongue traced the shell of her ear, cool breath against her skin. “Please?” Soft lips placed butterfly kisses down her neck as a hand traced a hardened nipple through the cotton of her shirt. Giving in, Buffy turned around to face him and nodded.
The weight of the day’s emotions came crashing down on them as their lips collided. Frenzied, open-mouth kisses that spoke of relief, of frustration and of love were exchanged as they shuffled back towards the bathroom.

Spike pulled back, eyes black as night and lips stretched into a leer. “Gonna finally see if we both fit in that tub...”

***

“Spike? Why aren’t you coming in?” Buffy had peeled her clothing off--in the literal sense--before letting herself slip into the bathtub. She immediately felt her muscles relax, soothed by the heat of the water. Now she lay back, fingers tracing the tub’s curved sides, watching the vampire with interest. He should have been undressed, in the tub and pressed against her by now...

The bleached blonde inhaled deeply through his nose. Somewhere amongst the smell of sweat, dirt and blood was the Slayer’s arousal. The unmistakeable, sweet scent of her desire for him. “Just taking in the view, love.” He ripped his t-shirt off, winced slightly at the movement, and tore at his belt buckle.

Buffy licked her lips as she watched her lover undress. Belt tossed aside, he began to work at the button on his jeans. She knew that the calm facade he was projecting was just for show. The bulge in his jeans and his trembling hands belied his relaxed demeanour.

Just as the vampire was about to push the denim down over his hips, a very distinct wail arose from the adjoining room.

“Bloody, buggering fuck!

***

Her bath quickly over with, the Slayer crept out of the bathroom. She was a little apprehensive about Spike’s potential mood--after all, he’s been jonesing for that bathtub interlude since we’ve been here...

The sight that befell her would have erased any and all lingering doubts about Spike’s redemption had she had any.

Stretched out on the couch, the vampire was deeply asleep, baby Dawn equally peaceful on his chest. Pulling one of the blankets off their bed, Buffy carefully covered the snoozing vampire and tot, tucking them in with a kiss to their foreheads. As she padded over to the kitchen to forage, she made a mental note to thank Giles for guilting her into this trip.