Epilogue

A heavy silence blanketed the hotel room as its two occupants busied themselves packing their bags. Buffy had expected Spike to rib her about the extra suitcase she’d purchased in order to accommodate her new clothing, but the vampire seemed to be as lost in thought as she was. What was he thinking about? Was he wondering how they would deal with their relationship once they were back on American soil? How the Scoobies would react?

Heck, would they still have a relationship?!

One quick glance at the bleached vamp and the young woman knew the answer to her question: yes. Yes, they would stay the course, stick to their guns, hold through thick and thin--all those overused catchphrases that people use way too often.

Sayings, Buffy was sure, that the others wouldn’t exactly use when they learned of her relationship to the cocky vampire. They’ll probably lob a few ‘are you out of your mind?!’s before Giles drops his head in his hand and sighs his usual ‘oh dear Lord...’. Oh yeah--and then Xander‘s head will explode. But what about her mom? After all, she was the one defending Spike as a ‘nice young man’. Will that goodwill extend to having him as a boyfriend, or will she drive him away in her quest to keep Buffy’s life as normal as possible?

One thing was sure, though; there will be no hiding. Not like when Angel came back. No more lies. Spike deserved much more than that; the gang deserved more than that, too.

So lost was he in his thoughts, Spike never clued in to Buffy’s silence. Had he noticed, he... probably wouldn’t have said any more than he said about her extra suitcase. Maybe in a different time, at a different place, with a different cloud hanging over their heads. His thoughts ran along the same line as Buffy’s, but the predominant worry was that she would make him a skeleton in her closet.

Would she run to him at night to have her itch scratched, then spit venom at him in front of her friends? Would he be her dirty secret? Smiling to himself, he dismissed the thought. Maybe if she hadn’t been so gentle towards him; maybe if she hadn’t believed him when he said he’s no longer feeding on humans; maybe if she hadn’t told him, over and over again, that she loves him--maybe then, he could feed those fears. But, judging on her mirrored silence, the same thoughts were spinning around her mind, too.

The shrill ring of the phone cut through their reverie, making them both jump. With a hand over her heart, who the hell turned the ringer up so loud?!, Buffy picked it up. “Hello?”

Zipping his duffle bag, Spike tossed it towards the door before sitting down on the edge of the bed. He watched the expressions flit across the Slayer’s face: surprise, happiness and, after she hung up, a twinge of sadness.

“Well,” she said, closing the last of her suitcases, “Amelia’s downstairs. Guess it’s time to go.”

The vampire chuckled. “Guess bein’ a chauffeur is better than getting fired.”

When all the luggage was in the hallway both blondes stood in the doorway, taking one last look at their room. In a way, it had been more than a honeymoon suite; sure, they had consummated their relationship, but more importantly they had shared laughs, and enjoyed quiet time snuggled in front of the TV. They had begun to build a solid foundation in this room.

Buffy felt Spike’s arm at the small of her back. “This is just the beginning, you know,” he said, tentatively.

The young woman sighed as she closed the door and turned the key in the lock. She knew this was his way of testing the waters. “I know. It means that Giles is going to all protective over me, Xander’s going to have a conniption... but it also means that you’re going to have to learn to play nice with my friends.” She leaned back against the door and pulled him to her. Slowly, sensually, their lips met for one last kiss before heading out. “I love you, Spike,” she confirmed. “Don’t doubt that for a moment.”

The vampire kissed her forehead, his lips barely touching her skin. “Thank you,” he whispered, before turning around to gather all the luggage he could carry.

Grabbing her purse and the one remaining carry-on, Buffy smiled; by now, Spike’s gentlemanly manners no longer surprised her. Even a century as a Scourge of Europe hadn’t managed to erase the basic manners that had been drilled into him in his short lifetime. I think I really would have liked William Sinclair, she mused.

Amelia stood at the front desk, chatting with Hetty, when she spotted the two blondes. “Buffy, William! So glad to see you!”

The Slayer dropped the carry-on she was holding and gave her friend a hug. “Guess this means they didn’t fire you, huh?”

The Watcher smiled and slowly shook her head. “Not at all. This probation is just a formality that has to be seen through. Although my decision to ‘borrow’ the ring helped us win the battle, I still broke a few prime Council rules in obtaining it. This reprimand is Quentin’s way of dotting his I’s and crossing his T’s in case someone screams favouritism. Many of the less moderate members of Council would love to see me fired, so this is his way of quieting them.”

Their contemplative silence was broken by Hetty. “Well, dears, if you just stand around here all day, you’re likely to miss your flight.” She walked over to where Buffy and Spike stood. “I’ve had a grand ol’ time this past week or so, not the least of which being the look on your faces when I announced that you’d been booked as newlyweds. I don‘t think I‘ve ever seen a vampire pale, before!”

Everyone, including Spike, shared a laugh at his expense. “Well, ol’ mum, you’ve made it right comfortable for us; I don’t see why we can’t be back for a visit one day.”

“I’d only be too happy to have you over again--and it would be on the house, loves.” The older woman dragged both blondes into bone-crushing hugs before sending them off with teary-eyed ‘ta-ta!’s.

***

The drive to the airport was animated with talk between Amelia and Buffy, who were chatting like two long lost best friends. Spike, for his part, remained silent, his hand resting on Buffy’s thigh, long fingers drawing lazy circles on the soft denim of her jeans. His attention was focused outside the car’s window, on the streets that zipped past them. London had changed, but then so had he. A warm glow that he recognised as contentment spread through him; for once in his life and unlife, he was truly happy. He loved and was loved in return.

Their return to Sunnyhell wasn’t going to be pretty, or easy. The smiles and cheery faces that would greet them at the airport would turn to scowls. He’d no doubt have to watch his back for the next few months, from the Watcher and Harris to all sorts of nasties; having the Slayer as a girlfriend can do that to a demon.

But having the Slayer as a girlfriend has also netted him an equal. Someone who won’t hesitate in knocking him down a few pegs if his head gets too big; someone who can also fight dirty to win; someone who understands the William in him because, deep down, there‘s a Buffy who dreamt of being a figure skater, who likes to dance around in the rain without her shoes on, who‘s just as timid and cautious and scared to be alone as he is.

He looked at her through the corner of his eye, watching as her nose scrunched in reaction to something distasteful in the magazine she was reading. Her sixth sense must have told her she was being watched, because she looked up and smiled at him. “What?” she asked him. Spike just shook his head. “Nothin’ pet. Just looking at the woman I love.” The way things are going, he thought, neither of us will have to worry about being lonely for a long, long, time.

The End


Author’s Note: Yes, this final chapter is waay overdue and for that I apologise profusely. Thing is, my muse up and left me at the worst of times (with 1 chapter left); my interest in this fic dwindled to nothing and I just couldn’t bring myself to write another word. I had about ten different author’s notes written out, where I let everyone know that Dark Prophecy was to remain WIP, but I just couldn’t bring myself to publish it.

So, to anyone out there who’s actually going to read this final chapter, thanks for your patience and thanks for reading. I can assure everyone that if I ever write another fic, it will remain unpublished until it is complete.