Chapter 6



Buffy knew this wouldn’t be easy. Even though her mother had been told about the slayage a few years ago, she still didn’t really understand what it was all about.



“Mom--I have no choice in this. I have to go to England, and I have to try and stop these people from killing that baby. If I don’t, it’ll be the end of the world as we know it.” Stupid REM song--now I’ll have that in my head all evening...



Joyce was having trouble wrapping her mind around this. “But Buffy, what if they just called the police? If it’s a kidnapping, I don’t see why you should be involved. You’re just a young woman.”



The Slayer groaned. Maybe there’s a reason why Slayers don’t usually have families. “Look, what do you think would happen if we did call the police? ’Here’s the story, officer: some shifty types have kidnapped a baby, who’s really an energy key, who they plan on sacrificing in order to open trans-dimensional portals.’ What do you think, Mom? Do you think they’d rush right out looking for demons?” She took a deep breath, and sat down on the couch beside her mother. “There’s a reason why there’s a Slayer, and that’s because no one else is prepared to handle these kinds of emergencies. I know it’s hard for you to understand, but this kind of stuff really exists, and for some cosmic reason, I’ve been chosen to fight the good fight.”



Joyce sighed, and wiped the tears from her eyes. “Buffy, I understand what you’re telling me. It’s just so scary for me to let you go; you’re so young, and this is such a big task. I’m just happy that Spike is going with you--he’s such a nice young man.” She smiled as her thoughts turned to her hot chocolate buddy. Her daughter didn’t know it, but the bleached blonde came over regularly for chats. It was nice to have someone to talk to about art, about being a single mom (raising a Slayer, to boot), heck... about pretty much anything.



Buffy bristled at her mom’s comments. “He is not a ‘nice young man’, Mom. He’s a vampire! He spent over 120 years brutally killing people. Do you know why his nickname is Spike? It’s because he killed people with railroad spikes--that doesn’t make him a ‘nice young man’.”



Now it was Joyce’s turn to be angry. “Buffy Summers! I will not have you take that tone with me. I may not be very knowledgeable about demons and prophecies, but I’m a damned good judge of character. The Spike that I know is smart, funny, and caring. If you gave him half a chance, you could get to see the man he’s become, instead of the monster he used to be.”



“Mom, it’s just that I worry. I mean, you’re inviting someone who’s tried to kill me into our home. You can’t blame me for being worried. But, for some insane reason, I have to agree that he seems... taken... with you; I don’t think he’d try to hurt you. Probably because no one else would bother to have him over for hot chocolate and listen to him whine about his batty ex-girlfriend...” At her mother’s surprised look, Buffy continued. “Yeah, Mom. I know he comes over. I can sense it when he’s been in the house--all part of the Slayer package.”



Joyce smiled. “Well, there goes my last secret. Look, it’s almost 6 and Giles should be by to pick you up soon. Let’s have one last look through your stuff to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything.”



***


“You know, I appreciate you doin’ this for me, and all.” Spike’s head appeared through the hole that led to the lower half of his crypt. He tossed a leather bag up onto the ground as he made his way back into the upper level. “No knowing what kind of nasty would decide to move in if I’d leave this place unattended to...”



Clem, the demon whom he was addressing, had already made himself comfortable in the vampire’s chair. “Don’t even mention it, Spike. This is a great set-up for me. I don’t even get cable at the apartment.” Rifling through his packsack, he muttered. “Now, should I open the Pringles or the Bugles first?” Settling on the red tin, he turned his attention back to Spike. “So where is it that you’re going, anyway?”



Rummaging through the fridge for a bag of O-Neg, the vamp turned back to his friend. “Bein’ sent back to the mother country to help avert some apocalypse. You know, the usual: prophecy, tot in danger, dimensions bleedin’ into each other...” He emptied the bag into a mug and stood in his ‘living room’, across from the other demon.



“Haven’t been overseas in over 50 years. Dru wanted to see America, bleedin‘ land of opportunity. That stupid doll of hers told her that our future lay across the water. We should‘ve just gone across the Channel; would have fared better in France, even if we‘d have to put up with the French.” He took a sip of his blood and stared ahead, not really looking at anything in particular. Shaking his head, he brought his attention back to the present. “Betcha all the best pubs have been replaced by Starbucks, ‘s gonna be all different...”



Clem let the blonde vamp talk. He was aware that a reply wasn’t expected of him; Spike just needed to get some issues out of his system. Since he’d announced that he was going back to England, his emotions had run hot/cold. One moment he’d be whining about having lost Dru, the next he would be kicking his furniture in, cursing ’that bloody Slayer’. The quiet demon assumed that the vampire might have some unresolved... feelings... for Buffy, but he sure as hell wasn’t going to be the one to bring that idea out into the open.



“I wouldn’t worry about it, Spike. Even if it has changed there’s nothing you can do about it now. Anyway, I’m sure all the better demon bars haven’t changed a bit. You’ll walk back in and it’ll be like you never left.” He gave his friend a quick smile and offered his some Pringles.



Leaning in to grab a few chips, Spike sighed. “Yeah, I should stop being such a wanker about this. ‘S not everyday you’re offered a paid vacation to England. Can’t really pass this one up, even if I’ll be stuck travelling with the Slayer.”



Putting his empty mug on top of the TV, the blonde vamp shrugged. “Well, sun’s finally down. I expect they’ll be waiting for me.” He threw his duster on and grabbed his bag. With a sly grin, he added. “I’m off to save the world...” Chuckling to himself, the vampire headed out.



 


 


***



When he entered the Magic Box, Spike nearly walked right in the middle of a great big Scooby group hug. Bloody Hell... Sneering, he sauntered past the sniffling teenagers and sat himself down at the table beside Giles.



“You’d think we were leaving forever, the way they’re all goin’ about...” He turned to face the Watcher. “So, Rupes, do you have everything we need for this little trip?” His main interest lay in the limitless credit card, and he couldn’t wait to get his hands on that little piece of plastic. It had been a long, long time since he’d had access to that kind of money.



Giles cleared his throat. “Erm, oh--yes. All the papers are in the car. Plane tickets, passports, identification. All the addresses and numbers you’ll need once you’re in England have been jotted down in a booklet. Of course, you’ll be met at the airport by a Council representative, but I’ve still provided you with all the necessary information, in case anything... unforeseen... happens.” Please don’t ask about the credit card...



The Watcher hadn’t the guts to tell either Buffy or Spike, but the Council was yet to confirm their agreement to two of Spike’s three conditions: the five star hotel and the limitless credit card. They figured that if they splurged on the plane ticket, that the vampire would forget about the other two requests. Giles knew better than that. Spike would be expecting the royal treatment. Thing was, though, he had to make sure that the vampire made his way across the ocean; if that meant omitting some important details, well, so be it. Honestly, he couldn’t truly expect the Council to give in to all his requests--he knows better than that...



As Spike watched Willow and Buffy hug (now that was an image he would be storing away for when he got ‘lonely‘), his mind began to wander to the upcoming trip. Wonder what hotel they’ve got us booked at? If I had my choice I’d be set up at Brown’s Hotel--now *there* was a grand place. Hope it hasn’t been turned into a Radisson or anything like that...



The vampire’s musings were interrupted by Giles announcing that it was time to leave. If he hadn’t known better, he’d say that the Watcher was eager to set them on their way. He stood up and picked up his bag. “I’ll be outside; all this blubbering is making me sick.” With that, he stepped outside to have a smoke.



A few minutes later, Buffy and Giles exited the building and joined Spike by the Watcher’s car. Flicking his cigarette, the vamp exhaled a last puff of smoke. “Right, then. We off?”


Author's Note: I realized a few days ago that I neglected to thank my beta for this story. Melissa and I are no longer in contact, but she really helped me with the first 26 chapters of this story. So, thank you Melissa for everything--it's much appreciated. I'd also like to thank Christie, who was nice enough to fill the empty position. She's got a good eye for inconsistencies and a wicked clever sense of humour.
And, of course, thanks to all who reviewed. It really helps the writing process to know that people are reading and enjoying.