Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, here's the next chapter of Twisted Fate, and thank you for all the great reviews :)
Then next chapter is pretty short, so... after a little talk with my beta Chriss I've decided that chapter 8 and 9 will be one chapter. Hope that's okay with you guys!
Chapter 7 - Phone Calls

The sun was shining and Buffy clearly enjoyed the heat where she sat on the beach the next day, watching Spike have his surfing practice with the kids.

It was said on the radio by the two old men with their funny hypothetic voices that there was going to be rain later that day. Some guy out on the field had read it when he saw his cows move to the other end of the field.

Buffy chuckled. Maybe the crazy men were right, but it didn’t matter. She liked the place, more than she ever would have thought. In just a few days she had made a few close, new friends. It would be hard to leave when her vacation came to an end.

No need to think of that now, though, she thought. I still got more than six weeks left.
Buffy smiled as Spike showed the kids how to do a special move. They all seemed to worship him, and he was so nice to all of them. Buffy could see Lilly standing beside Spike and smiling brightly. She was so happy and it hurt Buffy to know that she wasn’t happy at home. She really hoped she and Spike could help the little girl.

“Good! Stand up… And… Down, now paddle! Great, faster!” Buffy could hear Spike instruct the group. “You’re great, guys. Well, the waves today aren’t that special, what do you say about calling it a night?”

A lot of complaining ‘no’s’ filled the air and Spike chuckled. “Oh, come on, guys. You do know that it’s not worth standing on that board in the water now. It’s too calm, but I heard that it should be some winds this weekend. Why won’t we continue then instead? Oh, and I’d like you to meet my friend Buffy.”

Spike gave Buffy a wink and she stood up and walked towards the little group. “This is my friend Buffy from America, Buffy, this is the group,” Spike said with a smirk and put an arm around her shoulder. Buffy felt her knees become weaker at the feel of him so close to her but fought to not say or do something stupid.

“Hello, Buffy,” the group mumbled at the same time which made Buffy giggle.

“Hey. Nice to meet you all.”

“So, I guess we will be seeing her some more, won’t we?” Spike asked tilting his head and looking at Buffy.

Buffy blushed and mumbled a “maybe…”

“Okay, guys. See you this weekend.”

The kids started to pack their things and walk away from the couple still standing in the same position as before. Spike realized he hadn’t let go of Buffy’s shoulder and awkwardly he pulled his arms away, sighing at the loss of contact.

“Um… So, did you enjoy the lesson? Hope it wasn’t too dull.”

“No, absolutely not. I enjoyed it, it was fun to see the kids half my age that were more than twice better than me,” she chuckled and Spike joined her.

“Um, Spike?” A dark haired boy said behind them
“Oh, hi, Connor. Did you get a hold on the position today?”

The boy named Connor nodded. “Yeah, better. Listen, I was wondering if you think I could join the surfing competition this weekend? I mean, I know I haven’t surfed for a long time but I kinda wanted to try anyway. My friends have already signed up but I thought I’d ask you first.”

“Of course, you can do that. But don’t pressure yourself too hard, it is your first competition after all.”

“Thanks Spike,” Connor smiled. “Then I can prove them I actually can surf…” The last words he said more to himself than to Spike and Spike frowned.

“Who them? Your friends?”

Connor shrugged. “Yeah, they don’t really think I can so...”

“You go show them then, ‘cus you can,” Spike said, giving Connor a pat on the shoulder.

“Thanks. We were talking the other day about when you’re gonna go out on the Bone yard again?”

Spike glanced at Buffy quickly. “Uh… Not in a while, Connor. Everything needs to be right, otherwise I could just jump from a plane you know.”

“’kay. Just wondered. Anyway, nice to meet you Buffy. Bye.”

”Bye, Connor,” Buffy replied and watched the boy walk after the others. She glanced at Spike who had a deep frown on his face.

“Hello? Earth to Spike. What are you thinking about?”

Spike realized Buffy was talking to him and shook his head. “Sorry, dozed off there for a minute.”

“What are you thinking about?” Buffy asked, curiously while tilting her head. Spike had to suppress a big smile. She looked so cute.

“No, just about Connor. I think it’s too early for him to compete but I can’t say no. You heard about his friends.”

“They do trust you a lot, Spike. It’s nice to see a person who is so easy with them. How old is Connor?”

“Sixteen, I think. Well, I just hope he don’t get too sad if he fails at the competition.”

“Are you gonna be there?” Buffy asked and Spike nodded.

“Gotta support my team, you know,” he smirked. “Wanna go back, pet?”

Buffy took a deep breath and asked without really thinking. “Hey, what do you say about dinner and a movie? My place.”

Spike looked surprised but happy. “I’d love to. What time?”

----------------
“How many video stores does this town have?” Buffy asked later that evening. Spike sat in the living room in front of the TV with his feet on the small table. Buffy gave him a bucket with popcorn and a glass of wine.

“Thanks. Two what I know of, why?”

Buffy sat down beside him and glared. “You know how long it took me to find one? I ask pretty much every person and they all said different things. Took me an hour to get there.”

“You know, pet,” Spike said, smiling, “you could’ve asked me to get it and the problem hadn’t come up.”

“You rent a movie? A good movie?” Buffy laughed and earned a glare from Spike. “Sorry, Spike, I’ve only known you for four days but I do know that you wouldn’t find a good movie even if you wanted to. You’d probably rent like… Cry Baby or something.”

“Hey, I have a good taste in movies. And Cry Baby is a good one,” Spike added which made Buffy laugh. “Well, it’s true! I mean Johnny Depp and that Traci Lord. Hot. He’s that cool love-hated drape and that other girl’s from a rich family, they fall in love. What’s not to love?”

“If I didn’t know better, I’d think you were gay,” Buffy giggled and broke out in a hysteric laughter when she saw Spike frown.

“I’ll show you for gay,” he said and attacked her. Buffy squealed when she found herself trapped on the couch, lying on her back with Spike tickling her sides.

“Aah, stop it!” Buffy screamed but Spike just continued with an evil grin.

“Say pretty please.”

“No.” Spike kept tickling her sides and she finally gave in. “Okay, okay please!”

“You didn’t say pretty…”

“I won’t say- ookay, pretty please!”

“What I didn’t hear you?” Spike grinned and Buffy glared at him through the laughter.

“Pretty please!”

“Good, girl. I think you’ve had enough,” Spike told her and stopped, but he didn’t set up just yet. Buffy was still trapped between him and the couch.

“That was just mean,” Buffy told him with a pout on her lips. Spike found himself staring intensely at her glossy lips. God, I want to kiss her, he thought and it took all his will power not to crash his lips against hers.

Buffy had noticed the change in Spike’s face and her eyes went from his lips to his eyes and back again. Suddenly he leant forward, slowly… Oh, god, oh god! He was mere inches away when her cell screamed out loud and the moment was gone. Spike slowly sat up and looked around after her cell.

“Yours?”

“Yeah,” she said and brought up her cell from her jack pocket. “Is it okay if I take this call?”

Spike nodded in agreement and took a sip of his drink.

“Hello?”

“Buffy, where the hell are you?!”

“W-what?” Buffy said confused until she understood. “Oh, you have got to be kidding me…”

“You didn’t answer me, Buffy,” Angel continued, furious. “I’ve tried to get a hold on you for days! I’ve come by your house for five fucking days and you haven’t opened up one time! Just Cordy and Doyle one time. Why the hell are they there? Where are you?”

“God, slow down…” Buffy mumbled and quickly glanced at Spike who had a deep frown written all over his face.

“I won’t slow down! I called your dad too; he hasn’t heard a word from you. Neither has your mother.”

“My mom would never tell you anything and you know it.”

“Don’t be such a bitch, Buffy. I was worried about you.”

Buffy scowled. “Worried my ass.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Angel replied angrily.

She sighed. “Do you remember seven days ago, Angel?” Spike turned his head towards Buffy when he heard the name. Angel, wasn’t that her ex? “We broke up!”

“No, we didn’t. We had an argument.”

Buffy silently cried out. “For God’s sake, Angel! Where the hell were you that night! I said more than once that it was over!”

“Can I come over so we can talk about this at least?”

“No. I’m not home.”

“Fine, then I’ll go to your mom. Or do you want me to call your dad and get him to find you?”

“Fuck you, Angel. I said it before and I’m saying it again for the last time. Don’t call me ever again, okay? And don’t you get my father in to this. He can’t decide what I want to do.”

“Oh, we will just see about that, won’t we…” Angel replied.

“You wouldn’t dare…”

“Buffy are you okay?” Spike asked when he couldn’t take it anymore. Angel became quiet and Buffy looked at Spike.

“Buffy… Who’s that?” Angel growled.

“It’s… It’s-“ Buffy didn’t have a chance to end the sentences before her cell was being taken from her by Spike.

“Listen here, Angel. We’re trying to have a nice time to ourselves, me and Buffy, and we were just going to bed, not thinking of sleeping so I suggest you hang up right now or you’ll get a really cranky man after you.”

“Who the hell are you?”

“Spike!” Buffy squealed in a panicked whisper. “What are you…”

Spike turned towards Buffy with a sexy smirk and gave her a gesture that told her to be quiet.

“I’m Spike, Buffy’s boyfriend, so you just shut the fuck up and stop calling her.” Spike finished the call and gave it back to a shocked Buffy. When she didn’t say anything Spike looked up and had to suppress a laugh at her fish-like opened mouth.

“What a… Spike, what the hell were you thinking?!” She shrieked. “I swear he’s gonna call my dad. How did you even think of that story? I mean it was so…” She trailed off and with her chest drawing in air. “… Cool.”

Spike frowned slightly when Buffy changed her tone. Now she was instead laughing hard. “You’re not mad?” He asked, unsure.

“No… That was too funny. God, what a shock the guy must have gotten!” Buffy continued and leant forward to hug Spike. “Thank you. What would I do without you?”

Spike smiled and held on to her. “Guess we won’t have to find out ‘cus I’m not going anywhere.”