Chapter 13

Whistling an anonymous tune Spike made his way back to the table. He absently noticed the gentlemen were sitting quietly by themselves, but it wasn’t until he saw their faces that he whispered, "Oh bugger."

"I guess it’s your turn to be the ass," Angel said, smiling devilishly. "Now you can be the bad guy for once." He caught the waiter’s attention and called him over. "Oz, I’m feeling lucky tonight. Which in turn, makes me feel generous. Order what you want, I’ve got the bill."

Oz quirked an eyebrow and simply said, "Cool."

Spike sat down heavily asking, "What did she say?"

Angel’s dark mood had lightened considerably as he almost danced in his chair. "You know William, that’s the funny part. She didn’t say anything. She just walked over to the table and Cordy and Willow jumped up and ushered her to the ladies room." He stopped and dabbed his eyes with his napkin. "The poor thing was in tears."

Spike pulled out his lighter and started clicking it open and closed. "I screwed up mate. Tried to cut out and take her to my place."

"And how’d that work out for ya, mate?" Angel asked laughing. At Spikes dark look, he softened. "Hey, she’ll get over it. That chick is crazy about you." The waiter returned with their order and after Angel raised his glass saying, "Cheers" the gentlemen drank in silence.

In the bathroom Buffy sat on the loveseat wiping her nose. Willow rung her hands and again said "Buffy you have to tell him. This has gone on long enough. At least if you tell him, he’ll understand why you don’t want to have sex with him."

Buffy averted her eyes and started shredding her tissue into tiny bits. She was unable to tell them that despite what Willow thought, she did want to have sex with Spike. That she laid in her bed at night and thought of nothing else. That it was all she could do to not rip his clothes off and lick him from head to toe. When she’d dated Riley last year he’d tried on numerous occasions to get into Buffy’s pants. And although she liked him, had even believed she loved him at the time, she didn’t understand passion until she met Spike.

"Oh, just have sex with him and get it over with already." Cordelia said, fixing her makeup in the mirror. "I think the problem our Buffy is having, is that she wants him." Cordelia caught Buffy’s eye in the mirror and smiled triumphantly. She spun around and marched over to Buffy. "Why you little slut! You do want to have sex with him." Cordelia giggled and Buffy slapped her hand.

Buffy relaxed, happy that it was finally out in the open. She stated matter-of-factly, "It is the next step in a healthy relationship."

"You’re gonna do it Buffy?" Willow whispered.

"Not tonight on the table," she answered, laughing at Willow’s expression. "But yes, I am. I love him Willow and I’m going to show him how much."

Willow thought being honest with him about her age would have been a better way to show him she cared. However she just smiled and kept her mouth shut. "We better get back out to the guys. All this talk of sex, I’m feeling the need to kiss my snuggle bunny."

"Yes, I want to get back to Angel too. Believe it or not, I actually kinda missed him," Cordelia said. Buffy and Willow looked at one another and laughed.

The three women left the bathroom and headed towards the table. Buffy looked down and realized that she didn’t have her purse. "You guys go on ahead, I left my handbag in the bathroom." She turned to hurry back before someone else found it. She opened the door to see that someone had in fact found it first. Standing in the middle of the bathroom with Buffy’s wallet open stood Ilona. She looked up and seeing who it was she gave Buffy a cool smile.

"Ahh Boofy! This is yours, no? It was on the leetle table next to the couch." Ilona put the wallet back in the bag. "I was just trying to see who it belongs to." She handed it to Buffy. Buffy started to turn, but was stopped by Ilona’s voice. "Boofy, I know you are very young. William is how do you say? In the dark, no?" She put her hand lightly on Buffy shoulder. "’ow long do you think you can keep up this charade, Bella?"

Buffy shook off her hand and replied, "Longer than you can keep up that fake accent, sweetheart." Buffy closed the door and made her way over to her boyfriend. Buffy sat down next to Spike and grabbed his hand. While the others were ordering their dinner she leaned in close and whispered in his ear, "I’m sorry about what happened. Thank you for being so patient with me. All I can say is it will be worth the wait." Spike brought her closer and rested his forehead against hers. He closed his eyes and cupped her face tenderly. I love everything about this woman, he thought suddenly.

And what will you be having, Miss?" the waiter asked breaking their reverie.

Spike sighed and rubbed his stomach. "Yeah and tonight it’s on Angel, as it should be, after all the Git is bleeding loaded."

"As usual my roommate is misinformed. Loaded." Angel laughed, embarrassed by all the unnecessary attention. He cut his eyes to Cordelia trying to read her expression.

Spike drained his glass and signaled for another. "Well, let’s just ask your father who invented that computer whasahaveit. When that old man croaks." He snorted, letting the statement hang in the air.

"Spike," Angel growled menacingly.

"Oi, we’re among friends, Peaches. All I’m saying is that you can bloody well afford to foot the bill."

Willow laughed nervously saying, "well let’s move on the something else, OK? Oz’s band is really starting to be noticed, right honey bear?"

Oz put down his beer and looked at the group. "We officially moved up to ‘we don’t suck’".

"You’re being too modest, Oz. You guys haven’t sucked in a long time." Cordelia said flashing a brilliant smile.

Oz frowned, absorbing Cordy’s comment quietly.

Once their dinner arrived the group spent the next couple of hours laughing and talking. And with the exception of a couple of hairy situations between Angel and Spike, fun was had by all.

"Dude, I hope you don’t mind me asking, but how did you get to be a teacher?" Oz asked Angel after they had a few beers in them.

Spike again snorted, but he let Angel answer the question. "My father got tried of watching me sit by the pool trying to corrupt the maid." He stopped and smiled sheepishly at Cordelia. She patted his hand and he continued. Angel took on a slight Irish accent, "He would say ‘Liam my boy, I’ve realized that you’ve had it too easy. You need to do something with your life." Angel looked from one face to another as if to say can you believe it? But in reality it hadn’t gone quite so graciously. After the cursing and accusations it came down to Angel having to contribute to society or lose his inheritance. He’d always had a distant relationship with his father. His basic needs were met, but that father/son stuff that he saw with so many of his friends was seriously lacking. Angel believed that his father blamed him for his mother early death. Megan O’Farrell was just a photo in an old album, dying while Angel was still in diapers. She never truly recovered from giving birth to him and if cornered, he believed his father would have gladly traded Angel’s life for hers.

"I’m actually a TA. I’m finishing up my Masters degree this year. But unlike Spike over there I like my students a little older." Cordelia looked briefly at Buffy, but she was looking at Spike. "I plan on teaching College English.

"Yeah, you’ll be like Indiana Jones in the Temple of Doom. A classroom full of silly girls," Cordelia said sarcastically

"You’re not jealous, are ya babe?" He asked placing a wisp of her hair behind her ear.

"No I plan on being finished with you by then," she smiled.

"You think so?" he drawled placing a kiss on her hand.

Willow turned to Oz, "Awww they’re just like Rizzo and Kenickie from Grease." Buffy covered her mouth and giggled.

"That’s our cue to get out of here. Angel, hitch a ride with the princess over there, I’m taking my girl home." He stood and helped Buffy out of her seat. The sun had set and the temperature dropped considerably. What had been cute at dusk was inadequate now. They hurried to the car. Once they got in Spike said, "You know what would be fun?" She looked at him and he continued. "Tomorrow is a half day and I have to drop by the university. How about I meet you on campus and we can have lunch?"

"Whahuh?"