Chapter 18

"Knock, knock." Willow said, poking her head in the door. She stepped into the foyer, arms laden with balloons and decorations. "Cordelia’s parking the car; she’ll be in in a minute. Is Xander or Oz here yet?"

Buffy helped Willow, taking the things from her hands, and eyeing the small silver box on top. "Oh, shiny," she said shaking the box. Willow looked at her and shook her head. Buffy told her friends that it wasn’t necessary to get her anything. But the little girl in her still thought it was fun to get stuff.

The only thing that was going to mar her festivities was the absence of a certain blond Englishman. She was just going to have to make it up to him.....soon.

As if reading her mind, Willow said under her breath, "Have you spoken to Spike today, Buffy?"

"No, today has been a boyfriend-free day. Well, if you don’t count my Aunt Jenny’s. But you know what I mean." The two girls went into the dining room and started separating the decorations. "And you’ll never believe it but he’s English too."

Cordelia walked into the room and placed her gift on the table. "Who’s English?"

"I believe that would be me." The three girls jumped as Rupert stepped in the room. "Good afternoon ladies. Rupert Giles. And you are?"

"Giles, these are my very best friends Willow and Cordelia." He took each girl’s hand and after the introductions Buffy handed him the streamers and tape. He looked down at the things questioningly and Buffy said, "Willow loves all the colors." Willow grinned as she unfolded a 3D paper cake.

"Yeah, Willow and Dawn." Cordelia responded looking at the cake.

"Very well, then. Where are these streamers going?" Giles asked.

Ten minutes later the dining room was finished. Both Willow and Dawn stood in the middle of the room smiling at each other. "This room just screams party time!" Willow exclaimed. Dawn jumped up and down at Willow’s feet.

Jenny and Buffy smiled at the two while Cordelia whispered, "what a freak show." Willow had joined Dawn in the jumping up and down.

The doorbell ringing brought the jumping to an end. "I see Willow was in charge of decoration again, huh?" Xander came into the room followed by Oz. "Heaven help us at the Prom."

Like you’re going to be going to the Prom," Cordelia laughed.

I will be attending this gather the natives call Prom. I will partake in the ritual dancing and the sipping of colorful drinks in little cups. And if I’m lucky someone will spike said drink." Xander handed Buffy a bag and gave her a quick hug. "Happy birthday, Buffy."

"Thank you, Xander." Buffy released him and looked over to Oz. "Thanks for coming to my party, Oz."

"No problem." Oz put his gift down and gave his girlfriend a kiss. "Love what you did with the place."
Willow cut her eyes at Cordelia and smirked.

Joyce came into the dining room. "Wow, Buffy, I didn’t think that this would be the theme you would take." Joyce’s hand ran lightly over the table. "Is there hats?"
Buffy quirked her eyebrow and replied. "Mom, I think it’s fun, and you know I’m all for the fun."

Someone turned on the radio as the stream of guests continued to flow in. An hour or so later the house was in full party mode. Xander actually talked a few of the guests into wearing party hats. Buffy was talking to Cordelia when she heard the doorbell. She felt the change of atmosphere almost immediately. With her heart pounding, she turned to see who had arrived. "Buffy could you come in here for a moment?" her mother called. All around her there was a murmur of excitement. She went to find her mother.

Willow and Jenny were standing in the kitchen with Joyce. Buffy tried reading Willow’s face as Joyce, who was standing in front of the opened kitchen door, said, "You have a special visitor, Buffy."

Buffy silently went to the door. She looked up and squeaked, "Riley?!"

"Happy birthday, Buffy," Riley said, stepping into the house.

"I ran into Riley’s mom at the market and she told me he was going to be in town this weekend and knowing that you weren’t going to have a date tonight, I thought, why not?" Joyce said excitedly, missing her daughter’s reaction.

Riley, however, didn’t. He frowned. "I hope it’s all right that I came, Buffy? If you think I should go--."

"No!" she said quickly. "No, don’t be silly. Of course you should stay. I’m just… I mean you were the last person I expected to see." As his expression darkened she hastily added. "I’m not saying that in a negative way. Just call me surprise girl. It’s good to see you, Riley." She reached over and gave him a quick squeeze. "You want something to drink?"

Riley visibly relaxed as he looked down at her. He reached tentatively for her hand and said, "That would be nice." He looked down at their joined hands and whispered, "I’ve missed you, Buffy."

She let go of his hand and responded, "I’ve missed you too, Riley. Umm how is Idaho?"

He led Buffy to the hallway, where they sat on the stairs to talk. "It’s nice. If corn is your thing," he laughed. "Idaho University is nice. I’ve got this group of guys, they are the greatest. I didn’t think I would have been able to handle being so far from home. But once I got there I realized that everything in Sunnydale was replaceable." He smiled sheepishly at her. "Well, almost everything." He paused drinking her in. "You look really good." Riley breathed. "I didn’t realize until I saw you how much I missed you, Buffy.

Buffy felt her face heat up as she struggled with her emotions. If Riley had come back just a few months ago, she would have jumped happily in his arms. But that was before Spike. The girl Riley left last year had grown up a lot. "Did you meet someone?" she asked. "I know that there were probably a bunch of girls just dying to talk to Riley Finn."

"Is that it, Buffy? I should have known--" he said standing suddenly.

"It’s not like that, Riley. I mean, that is, when you left..... I thought we decided that we were going to see other people." Buffy stood also and leaned against the wall. "When you stopped writing me, I assumed you’d met some nice farmer’s daughter."

Riley looked at his hands and whispered, "So I take you have met someone."

He looked up into her eyes as she whispered, "I’m sorry." She took a step towards him and laid her hand on his chest. "I never meant to hurt you. Riley, you know that, right?"

He stepped away from her and said, "I really should be going. I don’t know what I was thinking." Buffy followed him to the door.

"Riley, you’re leaving so soon? We haven’t even cut the cake." Joyce stood in the kitchen refilling the punch bowl.

"Mrs. Summers, thank you for the invitation but I think I should be going now."

Joyce scrutinized first her daughter’s unhappy face, and then Riley’s and sputtered, "Is everything OK?"

Riley looked sadly at her. "It’s nothing, really, Mrs. Summers. Just had to clear some things up." He turned to Buffy. "I’ll see you around, Buffy."

Joyce turned to her daughter as the young man made his way slowly down the drive. "I’m so sorry, honey. I thought..." She stopped and took her daughter in her arms. "I thought it would be nice for you to see Riley again. I guess I should have asked. I hope I didn’t ruin your party."

"It’s all right, mom. How could you know, I didn’t even know. When Riley left I thought I would cry forever. I mean, I missed him so much. But as time went by... I guess I didn’t love him as much as I thought, huh?"

Willow walked in on the two and asked, "Umm, Buffy, are you all right?"

Buffy turned to her friend and wiping a stray tear said,. "I’ll be all right. This is a party. No place for tears." She put her arm around Willow. Buffy looked over her shoulder at her mother saying. "It’s a celebration, right?

Joyce looked at her daughter, and nodding answered, "A celebration."