Chapter 19

The following Monday after school, Buffy sat under a tree on campus waiting for Spike to pick her up. An hour before, Cordelia had dropped Buffy off at Sunnydale University. The brunette sighed and said, "You know I can’t wait for this all to end." She turned to look at Buffy.

Buffy gathered up her books and smiled tightly at her, not meeting her eyes. "Just one more week, Cordy. I can’t drive myself; you know I can’t leave my car on campus overnight." She opened the car door and closed it with her hip. She pleaded, "After this weekend, I promise."

Cordelia pouted at the blond. "I never thought it would happen but I am starting to really agree with Willow. This is getting too complicated. I mean with all the driving I’m doing to the campus. I took you three times last week. My calendar just can’t take all this chauffeuring around.

Cordelia looked unhappily at her friend. She struggled for a moment and suddenly put her car in park. "Can I ask you a question, Buffy?" Cordelia pulled the keys out of the ignition and stepped out of the convertible. The two women walked quietly to a bench and sat down. "You know I usually don’t come to you for boyfriend advice."

Buffy looked at Cordelia with flat eyes, "Go on," she prompted.

"It’s just, Angel and I haven’t been getting along lately."

"When aren’t you guys not getting along?" Buffy said laughing.

Cordelia looked at her with hurt eyes and Buffy sobered instantly. "I know that I come across as ‘all together girl’ but I do have feelings, Buffy."

"I’m sorry. Continue."

Cordelia turned towards Buffy saying, "He’s really putting the pressure on me for sex." She stared at her hands. In past relationships it was Cordelia that always had the upper hand. The boys she dated were always so grateful to have her on their arm, that she was allowed to be in control. When they became too demanding or, in most cases, boring, there was usually another one waiting for his chance to be seen with the beautiful Ms. Chase. It amazed her that this man was still around and even more so that she still wanted him around.

The conversation about sex came up almost immediately, as it usually did with her boyfriends. She in the past was always able to walk away without any second thoughts. But since meeting Angel she found herself daydreaming of a future with him.

And it terrified her.

"What made you decide that this was ‘The One’?" Cordelia asked after a moment. "I mean, he’s not like incredibly wealthy or all that handsome, he’s actually kinda tiny. I know you’re not the tallest person, but--."

"I think I get it, Cordelia." Buffy interrupted. She smiled softly thinking of the Englishman. "He’s a good man." She paused for a moment, trying to put her feelings into words. "I can see myself getting a dog with this man." Cordelia frowned and began to stand. Buffy quickly continued. "Going on vacation with him, eating tacos with him, picking out towels." She shook her head slowly. "The decision about the sex, that was the easy part. It’s the everyday stuff that you have to want. The boring stuff. Life. I can close my eyes and see him twenty years from now and I want to be there, with him." Her face lit up and she said, "Oh, and you’re wrong about one thing. He may not be the richest man or the tallest, but he is very handsome." She colored as she thought about this weekend. After a minute she continued, "You know the thing I just said, the decision about the sex being easy, it wasn’t. I don’t want to make light of that decision. I spent a long time thinking about it. And I know that, for me, the time is right. But I don’t think I can answer that question for you. Actually, I know I can’t answer that for you, I can only speak for myself. Answer me this. Do you love him?

Cordelia looked at Buffy with tears in her eyes. "I don’t know, maybe."

"If you don’t know then you can’t let him pressure you. Does he love you?"

Cordelia stood suddenly saying, "I don’t know."

"Then you’re talking to the wrong person." Buffy eyes narrowed as she watched Cordelia pace in front of her. "Cordy, you eat men like Angel for lunch. Why are you letting him get to you like this? I think maybe your feelings are deeper than you want to admit." Buffy stood up and placed her hand gently on Cordelia’s shoulder. "Go find him, talk to him, tell him how you feel. He might surprise you."

Cordelia gave Buffy a watery smile and a grateful hug. "When the hell did you get all mature on me?"

Buffy stepped back and said, "Have you seen how old my freakin’ boyfriend is?" Both girls laughed.

"Oh! I’d better get out of here before he shows up." Cordelia wiped her eyes and picked up her handbag. "Thanks. Buffy, this conversation. I have a reputation for being..."

Buffy interrupted, "I know ‘all together girl’. I got the memo. Don’t worry. This," she pointed between herself and Cordelia, "never happened."

"Thanks. Good luck." Buffy watched her friend as she
walked away. Buffy smiled as she noticed the dozen double takes Cordelia received by the time she made it to the car. "Sorry guys, but that one is taken," she whispered.

When Spike showed up fifteen minutes later Buffy was reading a book. "Hello, beautiful." He sat down next to her and kissed her passionately. Buffy closed her eyes and leaned in towards him as she snaked her fingers around his neck. "I’ve missed you, Pet," he said after reluctantly releasing her lips.

She sat inches away from him as she purred. "Well I’m here now." He reached up and ran his hands through her hair. Spike tilted his head as he studied her. She frowned slightly, whispering, "What?"
He smiled at her and cupped her face. He searched her eyes, blue to hazel and leaned in to kiss her again. She eagerly returned his kiss as she scooted onto his lap.

"You are glorious," he said as he nibbled along her jaw line. "God, I love you."

Buffy stopped and pushed him away gently. "Was that umm, comment directed to me? Or do you actually love, like, God?" she asked. "I mean if you do that’s fine. I’m sure He’s happy to know that you care so..."
Spike cut her off by capturing her lips again in a searing kiss. He coaxed her mouth open as he deepened it. When it became obvious that breathing was becoming an issue he stopped. "Although I have a great respect for the big guy, that was directed towards you. Buffy Summers, I love you."

Buffy propelled herself into Spike’s arms, knocking him backwards. She straddled him, giggling, and began kissing him again. She leaned back as he sat up. "I have something very important to tell you." Spike raised his brow and Buffy quickly clarified. "I guess what I’m saying is that I would like to invite you to my house for dinner this weekend."

"That’s bloody brilliant, Buffy. I finally get to meet your mum."

"Oh, she won’t be there."

He frowned, saying, "She won’t be there?"

"Yeah, it will be just you and me." She looked at him innocently.

His face at first lit up and then just as quickly turned lecherous. "Just the two of us, you say?"

"I don’t know, maybe we can find something to do to occupy ourselves." Buffy felt his excitement as she sat on his lap and he couldn’t help laughing at her expression.

"Don’t worry, Pet, I plan on making it a night that you’ll never forget." He nuzzled her neck and once again became lost in her kisses.