Chapter 6

Buffy stood outside Java Mountain, trying not to pace. Nope not pacing. However the more she tried not to pace, the stronger the desire grew. She tried sitting down and people watching, even having imaginary conversations with Spike. But that was a bad idea because each conversation ended up in sticky territory. Why couldn’t I be five years older, she wondered. She didn’t want Willow or Cordy to know, but she did fear Spike finding out about her deception. All it would take was one wrong word. Just one, and he would know that she had lied. No matter what she told the girls, Buffy knew she would have to tell him the truth sooner or later. She was banking on later.....much later.

Soon she saw a familiar figure stepping out of his car. She fought the urge to run into his arms. I gotta stop reading those silly romance novels she thought, shaking her head.

"Hi, I hope you weren’t waiting long." He hesitantly reached over and took her hand. Buffy felt her face color and quickly looked at her feet. Spike noticed her reaction and smiled at the small blond. "Oi Pet," she looked up at him shyly. Spike leaned in and whispered, "What are you going to do when I kiss you." Buffy felt her face flame and all thoughts of sophistication floated up unto the night air. Spike gave her hand an affectionate squeeze and scolded himself saying, "Sorry Luv, sometimes I am a wicked man. Let’s get inside."

Buffy felt herself start to panic as a half a dozen responses fluttered through her mind. She knew she should say something, that she had to say something, but now the urge to pace was replaced with the even stronger desire to not come across as an idiot.

Spike led her over to an unoccupied corner of the coffee house. He cut his eyes to Buffy as she smiled tightly at him before she once again started examining her nails. He sighed and murmured, "you know, Pet. You’re going to have to talk to me at some point." He reached over and lifted her eyes to meet his. One thing Spike knew was how to deal with skittish women. With Dru’s many mood swings that was a lesson he had learnt quickly, and well. He was momentarily distracted as his dark princess started to dance seductively through his mind, however she was quickly replaced by the diminutive blond across from him. Spike leaned in close saying softly, "don’t go all shy on me, pet. We have a lot of date to get through before you have to leave. So how about I get us a cup of coffee?" He paused and picked up her small hand again, "and then I can tell you how beautiful you look tonight."

Buffy watched him go to the counter and when he turned catch her eye, she gave him a radiant smile. Buffy knew she needed to relax before she blew it big time, but he made her so nervous. It’s because you’re lying she thought bitterly to herself. She has always believed herself to be an honest person, and she hated the fact that she was lying to him. But he was such a great guy. "Wow, that makes sense." she whispered. Buffy sighed and tried to discreetly check her make-up in her mirror.

"Now Luv, I told you that you were beautiful,’ he voiced as he sat down. Along with two steaming cups of coffee, he had a large hunk of cake. "I hope you like carrot," he said sitting the plate down between them.

Buffy took the spoon he offered her and started in on the slice. Her eyes rolled back in her head as she moaned. "Oh my goodness! This is wonderful! I bet this frosting is homemade," she added running her finger up its side. Spike watched her as she started talking about the cake. A small smile played on his lips as she grew more and more animated. Suddenly she stopped and looked down, first at the empty plate, then at the spoon in his hand. She met his eyes and, smiling sheepishly at him, whispered, "It was a really good piece of cake." Her eyes grew wide and she groaned, "I just went all chatty Cathy on you, didn’t I?" She put her head in her hands and muttered, horrified, "over cake."

Spike barked out a laugh and leaned back in his chair. Dangling out of his mouth was a unlit cigarette. Buffy eyed him pointedly as he opened his ornate lighter. She pointed and both their eyes found the ‘Yes! This is a smoke free environment!’ sign posted over the register. "Oh bugger," Spike cursed. "It’s getting to the point where a bloke can’t have a decent fag anymore.

"First off," Buffy said taking a small sip of her coffee. "This is California and you shouldn’t throw that word around so casually. And secondly...," Buffy cut her eyes to a young man a few tables away, who had obviously heard some of what Spike had said. He gave Spike a small knowing smile, causing Buffy to giggle behind her hand.

"Come here," Spike growled.

"Wha--,"

"Come here," he said again.

"You want me to---," she never finished the question as Spike leaned over and kissed her soundly on the lips. Buffy’s eyes widened in surprise, but quickly closed as she melted into the kiss. All too soon it was over and Buffy smiled softly at the young man sitting at the other table and shrugged her shoulders.

She turned her attention back to Spike as he was licking his lips. They once again leaned in towards each other and Spike said under his breath, "that frosting was good."

"You want some more," she whispered back at him. Buffy felt his nose slowly trailing across her cheek as he took in her scent. She felt goose bumps rise on her arms and a tingle run down her spine. She took his hand as he started kissing slowly at her jaw line. Buffy remembered they were not alone when she heard someone clearing his throat. Spike leaned back and Buffy colored deeply at the manager’s reaction to their very public show of affection.

Spike empty his cup and stood up suddenly. "I’ll be right back." Buffy pouted as she watched him walk across the now crowded coffee house. Outside Spike stood cupping his hand around a cigarette as he lit it. He inhaled deeply, as his thoughts of course drifted to Buffy. He knew that these feelings were coming too fast and that they were too strong. He’d just met the girl the night before!

He pulled on the cigarette deeply and before he could stop it his train of thought brought him once more to Dru. He compared the two women and shook his head at just how dissimilar the two were. Dru was raven haired and pale, as were most of the woman that traveled in their group. They considered themselves enlightened and lofty, too wise for the world around them. Choosing to spend all their time holed up somewhere in bed or in endless conversations about nothing. At times Spike missed her and that life greatly.

Buffy, on the other hand, was light and warmth. She personified California with her sun kissed hair and bronzed skin. Her innocence and incredible beauty made him almost lightheaded when he was around her. Spike tossed away the spent cigarette and smiled wistfully, as he realized that he could quite possibly fall in love with this one.

Buffy quietly hummed to herself as she waited for Spike to return from what she assumed was a cigarette break. Her cell phone rang in her small purse. "Hello, Willow," she said after peeking at her caller ID. "Make it fast," she giggled.

"I am so sorry, but I just wanted to see how things were going. I called to see if you needed saving or anything." Willow questioned. "I mean just in case Mr. Prince Charming turned a little froggish.

Buffy rolled her eyes and smiling said, "Everything is actually going great. Willow this guy is perfect. But I can’t really talk about it now because he’s going to be back any minute." Buffy sighed and then said suddenly, "oh wait, did your Rocker call?"

She could hear her friend sputter over the line. "Oh my goodness Buffy!" She said excitedly, "He called! He wants me come and watch him play this coming weekend. I’ll tell you about it later, call me if it doesn’t get too late.

"Don’t worry, I won’t be out late. My Aunt Jenny needs me to watch Dawnie tonight" Buffy caught sight of Spike said abruptly, "I’ll call you when I get to my Aunt Jenny’s house, bye." Buffy looked up and smiled as he slid in close to her. He picked up her hand and kissed it softly. "That was my friend, Willow. She wanted to know if I needed rescuing from our date." At his confused look, she said, "Red. The ‘Homecoming Queen’ as you so aptly call her is Cordelia. And Red is Willow. And speaking of Cordelia, when I left her house this afternoon, your roommate was there." Buffy made a face that’s meaning was not lost on the bleached blond. He made a note to himself to speak to his flatmate, when he got home.

"Do you?" he asked putting Angel out of his mind. He was about to take a sip of his cold coffee and thought better of it and set if back down.

"Do I what? she asked coyly.

"Need rescuing," he answered running a finger slowly across her collarbone. Her breath caught in her throat and she shook her head slowly. Spike looked at her through hooded eyes and said, "You know Pet, you are going to be leaving me soon and I haven’t found out anything about you."

Buffy paused and took a deep breath trying to center herself. She carefully began to speak. "Well, I’m the only child of Hank and Joyce Summers. But, it’s just me and mom now, since my dad left," she said bitterly. She paused, thinking and then blurted, "I like to ice skate." She smiled and said sadly, "when I was little, I believed I was going to be the next Dorothy Hamill. The mood at the table changed when she added, "But with my parent’s divorce and then my mom and I moving out of LA, skating didn’t seem that important. Buffy’s voice trailed off as she remembered the feel of gliding over the ice.

"Do you ever skate now, Pet?" He asked tucking a lose strand of hair behind her ear.

Buffy unconsciously leaned into his hand and momentarily closed her eyes. Sighing she replied, "I haven’t picked up a skate in almost three years. I have bad feelings connected with it now. It was always something that was just me and my dad’s, you know? He would take me to the rink and sit in the stands and be my own personal cheerleader. I thought it was something special that we had but... I don’t know, I guess it really didn’t mean anything to him." Buffy sat quietly with her head down willing the tears to go away. Even though her father had been gone for a while now, it surprised her how fresh the pain was. "Do you skate?"

"God no. The only outdoor sport I learned in London was walking in fog." Buffy made a sound that fell somewhere in between a laugh and a sob and Spike said, "Hey Luv," he put his hand under her chin and gently raised her head. "We’ll have none of that now." A single tear escaped as he continued. "I fancy your father isn’t a very wise man. I could watch you forever. Hey let’s get out of here." He said to her softly. "I don’t know; take a walk under the night sky." He stood up and reached for her hand.

They spent the remainder of their time together walking hand in hand through downtown Sunnydale, Buffy played the impromptu tour guide while Spike stole kisses. Not another thought was given to wayward daddies or lost love.