Chapter 2
Buffy looked at the man standing in front of her, her mind a total blank. Sure, from afar he was attractive, but up close the man was, well he was just stunning. She knew she should say something witty and sophisticated, come across as more then a star stuck teenager. But this situation wasn’t something they had really thought out too well. Getting ready tonight it was all about what they were going to wear and getting in to the night club, not a thought spared for what to say if a grown man approached them. Funny, at school she was fairly popular, with her being one of the prettiest cheerleaders in Sunnydale High. And she did spend a year on the arm of Riley Finn, the captain of the football team. But something about this man made her feel like a little girl caught playing in her mom’s make-up. My goodness, she mentally kicks herself, she knows how to communicate with members of the opposite sex! What was wrong with her?

"Hi, my name is Cordelia, this is Willow and our mute friend here is Buffy," Cordy said setting her drink on the table next to her. "Hey Willow don’t you know that guy in the band?" Cordy asked pointing towards a short green haired man plucking at his bass.

Willow frowned at the band and said "No, where would I--"
"
Yes I think you do, Willow." Cordy mouthed, giving her friend a pointed look. "Let’s go see how he’s doing," Cordelia pushed Willow towards the stage without a backwards glance.

Buffy watched, horrified, as her friends sauntered away from them. She took a deep cleansing breath and turned back to him. "Hi, my name is Buffy, Spike is it?"

Spike watched the slight woman in front of him and wondered where she’d been all his life. He looked into her hazel eyes and reached for her hand. If possible, her large eyes grew larger as he brought her hand to his lips. "It is truly a pleasure to meet you Buffy."

Next to the stage Cordelia and Willow watched the two bottle blonds as they talked. "Did you see that, he’s making with the touchage," Willow said grabbing Cordelia arm excitedly, however Cordelia’s gaze was on a dark haired man who just walked in from the rear of the bar. While Buffy and her puppy love was absolutely adorable for all of about four minutes, it wasn’t something that she planned on watching all night with a bowl of popcorn. She observed with growing excitement as the tall sable haired man walked to the bar and got himself a beer. As he scanned the room his eyes connected with the leggy brunette standing by the stage. She boldly smiled at him and he put a hand to his chest as if to stop his racing heart. "Next," he whispered to himself as he picked up his drink and started over to her.

"Um, Willow I got to, well actually it’s that--oh I’ll be right back." Cordelia said as she left Willow standing open mouthed by the stage.

Willow stood, turning from Buffy and Spike, to Cordelia and the total stranger, and pouting she seriously thought about going home. She put her drink down and started to walk away when she heard this voice from on high. "Hey, you’re not leaving are you?" Willow looked at the green haired guy on the stage and frowned. She looked down at her watch. "At least I hope you’re not leaving," he said never taking his eyes off his amp.

Willow stared at the young man and smiling sadly said, "I might as well. I was just going to go home, seeing as my friends have forgotten I was here. I mean what with the flirting and the, well....ignoring. Now I’m all by myself, in a room with two hundred people no less. And yet-- still all aloney girl." She peeked over at him to see him still engaged in getting the right sound out of his instrument. She sighed and continued. "I didn’t really even wanna come here. They practically begged me to show up, and what do they do? The first chance they get, they abandon me. I bet they wouldn’t even notice if I went home," she finished softly.

"I would," he said looking up at her for the first time.

"So Buffy," Spike said placing the tip of his tongue behind his teeth. "Tell me about yourself. I mean Buffy, that’s an unusual name, is it short for anything," he asked pulling her to an empty table nearby.

"Well my first name is Elizabeth but everyone except my mom calls me Buffy. And anyway Spike, kettle black much?" she said trying to be heard over the live band that had just started warming up. "There is really nothing to tell. I’m a senior still living at home, who decided to go out with her friends. Done." Buffy realized that she needed to change the subject fast before he figured out that by senior, she meant high school senior. "Speaking of friends, I wonder where mine are. I haven’t seen either since they left me."

"Well, I see Red talking to that green haired bloke and, oh bugger, Ms. Homecoming Queen is talking to my house mate Angel." Spike looked at the brunette couple with concern.

"Spike----Angel? And you actually snarked about my name?" Buffy asked incredulous.

"We have normal names. The man talking to your friend over there is Liam and I’m--" He was cut off suddenly when the band started playing. Spike realized that any thoughts of conversation were pointless. He wondered briefly about asking her to go someplace else, a little more quiet. Buffy picked up her drink and looking at the lone ice cube floating in the clear liquid, and disheartened, put it back down again.

"Would you like something else, maybe a beer or--," Spike began.

"Actually if you don’t mind, could you just get me a diet coke. I don’t really feel like drinking tonight," she said looking at him nervously. "I’m not heavy on the whole drinking thing. Me and alcohol; very unmixy. Hey, I could give you the money--", she reached for her small hand bag and started digging through it.

Spike grabbed her hand again, ignoring the tingling in his stomach as he did so and said, "I think I can handle a diet coke in this place. I mean it can’t be any more then what, five or 6 dollars, right?" Buffy smiled at him and after a pregnant pause, Spike realized he still had her hand in his. "Oh, sorry," he said dropping it as he got up to go to the bar.

She watched him as he made his way to the bar and whispered to his retreating form. "Don’t be."

"Seems like you’ve hit the romance jackpot," Buffy looked up at Xander and playfully hit his hand.
"What are you doing here?" she asked watching him take a seat across from her.

"What are you talking about, the Xan man always comes out on ladies night." Xander drawled, pulling out his breath spray and giving himself a quick shot. He offered the small spray bottle to Buffy.

"Tonight the part of ‘weird pick up guy’ will be played by Xander Harris," Buffy said sarcastically. She looked down at the spray he was offering her and after a moment’s thought, took it from him.

"So Buffster," he said after slipping the breath spray back in his pocket when she was finished with it. "How did it go?" She looked at him frowning." Hey what’s with the face? What happened, did you have a problem?"

"I don’t know Xander, if by problem you mean they didn’t even ask to see it. Then yeah I had a problem. I didn’t even need it! I gave your friend Little Mikey a hundred bucks, and for what?"

"What did you give Little Mikey a hundred bucks for?" Buffy looked up into Spike’s blue eyes as he stood with a beer in one hand and a diet coke in the other.

"Huh...," she stammered. "I umm gave him uhh--"

"She gave him a C note for tickets for this concert in LA." Xander said leaning back. "The concert was suppose to be next month but it was canceled. You know one of those five part homo--I mean harmonious boy groups," he smiled over at Buffy. "I heard that the sensitive one is in one of those posh rehab centers. He OD’ed on estrogen. It helps him hit the high notes." Xander said leaning in.

"You’ve seen him in ‘weird pick up guy’, now see Xander Harris play ‘to much information man’," Buffy said, as both she and Spike stared at Xander opened mouthed.