Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay in posting. I am really trying to get on top of it. This past week was Homecoming at the highschool my husband and I work for. It was insane.
Chapter 10: 19th Year


What in the world was she doing? Had the crazy bird lost her mind? Spike shoved her hand away from his face and backed away from her. Did she not realize they were standing in a sea of men who he couldn’t allow to see weakness in him at all? Did she not realize that they were standing in a sea of men, just looking for a reason, to go against his orders and take her anyway? He didn’t need her girly, romantic, shit to go along with everything he was already trying so hard to deal with.

Her bottom lip trembled as she tried to blink back tears. “So you don’t remember me than?”

She had gone off the deep end! It was probably his fault, keeping her cooped up in that room all day. He shook his head and rubbed the back of his neck as he walked back toward her. “Of course I remember you, Pet. How could I forget?” This earned a couple of chuckles from his men.

She gave him a bittersweet smile and laughed slightly. “I don’t know how you could have, but you did.” Starring him dead in the eye, she spoke, “My name is Elizabeth Rayne and you do not know me now but I am your wife.”

A few men burst out laughing. Giles coughed and cleaned his glasses, looking slightly uncomfortable and William stood completely still not believing what his ears had just told him. Elizabeth, after standing there a few moments longer, with a serene smile gracing her lovely face, crumpled to the ground.

In a dead faint.


~+~

“How is she Giles?” William stopped his pacing and went to the other man, visibly calmed with his presence.

“She’s awake. Feeling just fine, chipper as ever.” Giles took of his glasses and continued to polish them again. Not liking what he was about to reveal to William next.

“What about-”

“What she said? She doesn’t remember a blasted thing she said. The last thing she remembers is taking a stroll out onto the deck with me and watching you play at fencing.” Sighing Giles sat down and William followed him. “I asked her if she had ever had blackouts before and she said no. I asked her if the name Elizabeth Rayne sounded familiar and she also responded negatively.”

“Is she lying?” William asked part of him hoping she was because if not they quite possibly had a very sick girl on their hands.

“No William, I don’t believe she was. She seemed genuinely confused and disoriented. She wants to know what she said, what she did but I refused to tell her. I can’t say if that’s for the best or the worst right now. I don’t know her families history of illnesses but this can not be good, m’boy.”

“Think I don’t know that? The woman I’m supposed to murder but decided to spare at my own risk instead, is claiming that we’re married, and I’m the crazy one because I don’t remember marrying her. I’ve been married before and let me tell you, its not something you conveniently forget. But everything’s fine here, because women telling me that were married is an everyday occurrence and I shouldn’t be worried at all.” William ran a hand through his slightly damp hair and sighed.

“Sarcasm won’t do you any good, boy.” Giles shut his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose, sometimes William could drive a man to drink, and the headache wasn’t helping either.

“I know.” Spike said as he looked down at his feet. “So what now?”

“Now you go in there and see what happens. See if she recalls something while seeing you again.”

“Great. Why do I have to be the one to have a pow wow with the crazy lady?”

“I’m not the one who’s married to her.” Giles chuckled. “That’s two crazy women in a row Will.”

“Ha Bloody Ha Ripper! That was good.” Spike rolled his eyes and mock bowed to the other man. “ha bloody ha.”


There was a quite knock at the door and Elizabeth looked up from the book she was reading. She was trying to distract herself but nothing was working. She apparently was going mad because she was saying things that didn’t make sense and blacking out. Then to top it all off she didn’t remember a thing when she woke up.

It was this damned ship! That’s what it was. The looney captain and his perverse crew were all a bit damp and now their crazy was becoming her. It was the only logical explanation.

“Come in.” She called as she snuggled further under the covers.

“You had us scared for a mo, Liz.”

“Since when are you worried about my welfare, Captain?” She asked while sitting up a little straighter not liking that he was trying to play the nice guy now.

“Since you set foot on my ship you became my responsibility. Meaning you are under my care.” Stay calm, be nice to her, don’t get angry, stay calm.

“Really? Than would you have a care and tell me what’s going on Captain, because I cant for the life of my figure it out!” She was scared and upset. She didn’t really mean to come across demanding or harsh but she was afraid of the situation, of not having control of herself.

“Why don’t you tell me, Elizabeth? You were the one spouting crazy in front of my men. You were the one who fainted. Now you’re lying here demanding answers when you should be explaining yourself.”

“I don’t remem-” She started.

“Remember. Yeah, so I’ve heard. Some of us have jobs to do. I have to get to mine.” He spun around and headed toward the door but stopped short when she began to speak again.

“I’m sorry. This must be as frustrating for you as it is for me but just for a second imagine being in my position. I…” She trailed off afraid to go on, not daring to look up at him. “I’m scared, William. All the time. I don’t know what’s going to happen to me. I don’t know where you’re taking me. I just found out that there are people out there that want me very dead. Now to top it all off I’m apparently loosing my mind. It just hasn’t been a very good last couple of weeks for me, quite possibly the worst of my life.” She felt him sit down at the bottom of the bed by her feet and she shut her eyes tight, not wanting to see him at all.

“You said that I was your husband. That your name was Elizabeth Rayne and I was your husband. That’s what you said.” He inched closer to her, until he was close enough to place his hand under her chin and tilt it up toward him. “Do you have any history of mental illness in your family, Elizabeth?”

She looked at him through teary eyes and nodded her head. “I was named after my great grandmother. Her name was Elizabeth Clarice Farnley but when she was 19 she went missing for months and when she was recovered, they say that she had gone crazy. Imagined an entire fairy tale life. I don’t know all the details. I had never paid attention to it much before.”

“Elizabeth, you’re 19.”

“I know.”