Chapter 2: Chapter 1: Before you could say 'No'
Chapter One: Before you could say ‘no’

She couldn’t go home. Call her a coward, call her a child, but she couldn’t go home. She’d rather die than see the look of complete and utter hatred on her fathers face when he saw the truth of what his little girl had become. A liar, a cheat, a scoundrel, a man, and all for a few thrills and a couple of bucks! She was despicable.

Elizabeth’s mind was spinning at a thousand miles a minute, she needed to come up with a plan. They had barely reached the entrance of the tavern when it struck her.

“I have the money!” She yelled at the back of the man who now “owned her”.

He was perched on his horse yelling orders to his crew men, while looking devastatingly handsome. He swung around and glared at her, nostrils flaring. “What’s that, boy?” He clearly didn’t like being interrupted.

Not so sure she wanted to do this, she shouted out a reply, sounding surer of herself than she felt, “I can get you the money.”

He looked at her and grinned. “Pray, tell.”

She swallowed hard. “May I speak with you alone?” She was crazy! Insane! Completely out of it, and yet the excitement outweighed the fear.

He chuckled but galloped over to her and picked her up around the waist, hoisting her up onto the saddle and setting her down in front of him. “We can talk in my cabin, luv.” He whispered and she shivered. “Promise I won’t bite…much.” He dug his heals into the side of the beast and sped off, with her clinging to him for dear life.

When the reached the ship yard he slowed to a trot, “Almost there, luv.” His voice rumbled against the back of her neck and she could feel his warm breath. She felt flushed and heated. She had never been up against a man like this before, her body sliding up and down his with every jolt of the horse. There was an unfamiliar ache between her thighs, which seemed to keep increasing.

She moaned.

He froze.

The horse stopped.

She went stiff.

He chuckled, low and deep, hopped off the horse and tied the reigns to a wooden post, than reached up a hand to her. She was flushed bright red, and avoided making eye contact but put her small hand in his larger one, and proceeded to let him slide her down the length of his body, setting her down right in front of him. He still held her waist loosely and she looked up at him, a question in her eyes. Why was he holding her so close? Why did his touch make her want to melt?

His face was mere inches from hers, she gasped as he looked at her from under his dark lashes. He had the most beautiful eyes; baby blue with little flecks of gold in them, she was mesmerized. She stared not knowing how to break this enchantment he held her under.

She didn’t know what was going on. She knew that she shouldn’t be feeling the things she was feeling but she didn’t know how to make it stop. Her eyes widened as he dipped his head- he was going to kiss her!

She jumped back, breaking the spell and he smirked. “Follow me.” As they made there way onto the ship and across the deck, Elizabeth tried to get her jumbled thoughts in order. She still hadn’t really come to term with how she got hear tonight. She was always very careful; she couldn’t afford to be reckless. Tonight all of her sanity left the moment this striking, mysterious man walked into the room. She has never felt anything like what she was feeling now.

She wanted to know him.

She wanted to know everything, and even though he had done nothing to show her that he was anything other than a scoundrel, deep down in her soul she could feel that this persona, this facade he waltzed around wearing, was nothing but that of a rouse.

She closed her eyes and shook her head. She hadn’t met the man but an hour ago and already she felt she knew the inner most depths of him and still knew nothing at all. Yes, her sanity had left her for sure.

“You comin’, luv?” She looked up not realizing that they had reached his quarters, giving him a shy smile she ducked her head and walked into the room. He gave her a questioning look but smiled back and than shut the door behind them.

Her eyes first went the massive four poster bed in the center of the room. It was a dark mahogany color and it was fitted with black sheets and a bear skin comforter that looked very inviting. She turned to her right and was surprised to find that the entire wall was a huge book shelf, and it was currently overflowing with everything from geography books to Lord Byron and William Blake. The more she discovered the more questions she had. To her left was a desk covered with maps, different utensils, and more books.

She turned around to find him studying her with a frown. She cleared her throat. He blinked and shook his head as if to get rid of whatever he was thinking. “So pet, what is this grand idea you have? Please tell me you have one, because if you don’t and we came up here for nothing, you will be on that bed, on your back, with a lack of clothing faster than you can say ‘no’.”

She rolled her eyes. “I’m not afraid of you.”

He came closer and she held her ground as he traced a finger along the side of her face. She had to force herself not to lean into his touch. “Well, maybe you should be.”

She stepped back and wrapped her arms around herself. “Do you know who I am?”

“Yes, Elizabeth. I do.”

She frowned, clearly not expecting that. “How?”

“You didn’t think us meeting tonight was purely chance now, did you?” He feigned shock. “You did! Didn’t you.” It wasn’t a question. “You thought all this was real? Poor little chit. Daddy never let on?”

Right then all the pieces fell into place. He knew. Her father knew what she had been on about all along, he just pretended like he didn’t have a clue. She should have known better than to think she had finally pulled something off without him noticing. He always knew and now she would be punished for it. Her father wouldn’t stand for disobedience. She had the physical scars as well as the mental to prove it.

“He hired you to hurt me. Didn’t he.”

It wasn’t a question but he answered anyway. “No, Elizabeth. He hired me to kill you.”