Chapter 9: Chapter 8: Red Dress
Chapter 8: Red Dress

She woke up naked and alone. She knew he was with her last night, remembered his soothing words and silky skin. She was confused. She should be horrified. She should have him strung up for sneaking into bed with her. She shouldn't trust him.

But he was her only hope.

Getting out of bed and taking the sheet with her, she went to the chest beside his bed and started digging for something that might fit decently. Discarding item after item she was surprised to find a ladies day dress on the bottom floor of the old cedar wood monstrosity. It had probably belonged to his mother or a woman he had on the ship for pleasure--surely he wouldn't mind.

She pulled it out and shook it, coughing a bit when the dress released a puff of dust. She smiled at the color it was a little faded and outdated but still very stunning shade of red. It wouldn’t have been her first choice. A little bit too bold for her liking but but it would have to do.

Not finding any undergarments in the chest she slipped the dress on quick and was thankful that it buttoned up the front instead of in the back. Splaying her hands down the wrinkled material, she wondered who the dress belonged to. Whosever it was, was quite a good deal taller than her and not as big in the bust. She looked at herself in the long dressing mirror and sighed as she caught sight of the dark circles around her eyes and the pretty yellowish bruise that was covering her right cheek. She looked awful and the red did nothing for her pale complexion.

She wished she had her own clothes. She'd feel stronger. More comfortable. Maybe there was a lad aboard who was close to her size. Maybe he would let her borrow a pair of britches and a clean linen shirt-- since hers was no where to be found.

Wishing she was taller and fiddling with her hair was how he found her, his smile instantly falling when he saw what she was wearing. “Take it off.” His demand was like ice.

She dropped her hair, it sliding down her back in slow motion. He had startled her whether by tone or entrance he didn't know or care to know. Trying to explain she began to stutter.

“I said take the damn dress off!” He yelled, slamming his fist down on his desk all of his little baubles scampering as far away from his wrath as they could get-- or that is what she thought it looked like.

Not hesitating a bit she started to undo the buttons, not caring that she wasn’t wearing anything under it just wanting the damned thing off. “I’m sorry I didn’t-”

“Did I ask you to speak?” He asked his eyes spitting fire. “I don't recall asking for your commentary. That means you shut your face.” He was menacing and terrifying when he was angry. She made a mental note to try her hardest not to upset him. She much preferred the man she knew last night.

Finishing with the buttons she slid the dress off her shoulders and let it pool on the floor, stepping out of it she almost lost her balance, she was trembling so badly. She refused to look him in the eye. She looked down at the floor instead like a wounded child. She covered her breasts with her hands as she walked over and picked the sheet up off the floor. She didn’t understand why putting on the dress had provoked him so.

“Pick it up, fold it and put it back where you found it. You ever touch my things again…” He let his empty threat hang in the air and fought his urge to go to her as he saw tears start to gather in her eyes. “Put on something of mine. I don’t care what just find something else.” He said still aggravated as he walked out of the room and slammed the door.

“I thought you said I wasn’t aloud to touch your things.” She mumbled as she folded the dress and slid it back into the chest. How the thought of trusting him had ever crossed her mind-- she didn't know.

~+~

She had been wearing Drusilla’s dress.

He didn’t mean to overreact but that dress had belonged to his wife. It was her favorite. Hers was the last body to occupy it and he liked the thought. To see another woman wearing her things was devastating. It was one thing to want to bed the girl, he had functioning male parts just like everyone else, but that did not mean he wanted her in his life… in his heart. He was not looking for a replacement just someone to pass the time with.

He sighed as he walked out onto the deck of his ship and as he ran a shaking hand through his hair he looked out into the depths of the never ending ocean. They had set sail this morning and he felt safer now. At home-- like it was finally alright to breathe.

He needed this-- fresh air and freedom. He needed the calm and the tranquility that the ocean brought to his marrow. He needed his mind on sailing and not on the beautiful creature currently naked in his quarters. He sighed, anything to get his mind off of her.

He still loved his wife.

He really did.

So why was it suddenly hard to recall her visage?

~+~

“Where are they?” He rocked back and forth in the chair behind his desk as he took another puff of his cigar.

“They have left the docks, milord. I hear they’re headed for Jamaica.”

“You hear?” He asked while getting up and walking toward the other man.

“Yes, sir.”

Smiling slightly he grabbed the other mans arm and stubbed his cigar out in the center of the servants hand. “Next time you’ll know, do I make myself clear?”

Swallowing down his scream of pain he managed out a choked, “yes sir” and quickly fled the room.

“That’s what I thought.”

~+~

“Poor girl, stuck in that room all day. After what happened yesterday I don’t blame her.” Giles said while picking his shirt up off the deck and wiping the sweat off of his face.

Spike chuckled as he put his sword back in its sheath and sat down next to the older man. “Don’t think she’s been in there all day because of what happened yesterday. I had it out with her earlier this morning. She was wearing Dru’s dress when I went back to the room and I yelled at her. She was pretty upset.”

Giles shook his head, he never liked Drusilla and he never really could see why William liked her either. “Ahh I see, well I guess you had every right to be upset. She shouldn’t have been disturbing Drusilla’s things although I could see how she did it in innocence and if nothing else because she didn’t have anything else to wear.”

“Still should’ve asked me.”

Giles smiled at his stepson. “She should have.”

“So why do I feel so terrible about being upset with her?” William asked while resting his head back against the mast and looking up into the sky.

“Because you’re falling for her.”

William fought down the urge to deny it.