Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much to the person who nominated this story at the COHA *hugs* :).....


I'm going into surgery in like 2 days, so i'm not sure when i'm going to update again..... i'll try and squeeze another chapter out before i go under :)


Thanx again to everyone who reviewed and Chriss Nicole my awesome beta for this story :):)
Chapter 22:


“This is awkward. I’m sorry,” Cordelia let out a nervous laugh, glancing at Angel out from the corner of her eye.


“It’s fine,” Angel reassured her, picking invisible lint from his jeans.


They’d been sitting in an uncomfortable silence ever since Buffy and Spike had left them on the front porch. The sun had long since set and the cool night’s breeze was washing over Cordelia in waves, washing away the troubles of the day.


“I’m just,” she sighed. “I haven’t really been alone with a guy in a while, aside from the police.” Cordy laughed, taking a sip from her drink. “It’d be nice to be able to feel completely comfortable again.” She met Angel’s confused gaze and continued. “To not constantly be looking over my shoulder all the time, you know.”


“I completely understand. The life of a celebrity, especially for the band at the moment, is extremely chaotic. We’re constantly looking over our shoulders and making sure we’re not caught doing something we shouldn’t be doing. It’d be nice not to constantly be on the lookout for paparazzi.” Angel smiled, and coughed. “N-not that I’m comparing my situation with your’s it’s-...”


Cordelia raised her eyebrow in question.


“You’ve had a lot of things happen to you recently, a lot of bad things. You have reason to be constantly looking over your shoulder to see whose behind you.” Cordelia nodded, her face dropping in sadness. “I chose my life,” Angel continued. “I chose to put myself in the lime light,” he said, sparring a glance at the horrific scar that marked her neck. “You didn’t chose this life, Cordy. You didn’t ask for these things to happen to you. Riley, he…”


Cordelia had tears in her eyes when she met his gaze, nodding her agreement. Angel tentatively reached for her hand and thread his fingers with hers, giving her hand a squeeze.


“Life gives us obstacles…” he brought her hand up to his lips and gave it a gentle kiss. “And at the end of the day we find a way to overcome them. We become better people for it.”


Cordelia blushed, and wiped away a few stray tears that had fallen down her cheeks.


“You’re sweet,” she whispered, taking another sip of her water.


“I know,” Angel sighed sadly, letting his hand slip from hers.


Angel knew he was sweet. He was a womaniser and his women never let him forget how sweet, gorgeous and charming he was. It was extremely rare for someone like Angel to go to home alone.


Angel was the kind of person that never went without. When the band had a gig booked, or the group had a night out, he was sure to never be empty handed. In his case, have an empty bed. Their were even times when Angel had two someone’s to go home with. But never the less, there was always a warm body waiting for him in his bed after a gig or a night out.


Spike’s words about Buffy flashed in Angels mind as he glanced at Cordelia from the corner of his eye.


"She’s a nice bird, doesn’t deserve that."


"Deserve what?"


"You know what I mean."


Cordelia wasn’t just one of his one night stands. She wasn’t someone he could have fun with and just toss aside afterwards. Cordy had already been burnt in her past, badly burnt both physically and mentally.


She deserved more.


She deserved more than what he could give her.


“Maybe too sweet,” she whispered, breaking the silence.


“Yeah.”


“I don’t want…I can’t…” she let out a sigh, frustrated with herself. Cordelia knew what she wanted to say, she just didn’t know how to say without hurting Angels feelings. “Look,” she met his eyes. “I’ve read about you-”


“Don’t believe everything you read I-”


“I know the kind of person you are. You can’t help yourself when a scantily clad woman flaunts herself in front of you. If the opportunity arrises you’re going to jump and run for it,” she let out a laugh. “I should know. I used to be one of those girls. Flaunting it myself in front of gorgeous men.…. W-what I’m trying to say is,” she took a deep breath, calming herself. “I can’t stop you being you.”


Angel was silent, not sure where Cordelia was heading with the conversation. Was she telling him she wanted to flaunt it for him? If that was the case, he smiled to himself, he was definitely running head on towards her. She was gorgeous.


“I don’t want a relationship.”


Angel felt his spirits drop.


“I’ve been through too much,” Cordelia sighed, rubbing her swollen stomach, a sad smile on her face. “I’ve got so much too look forward to and w-what I’m trying to say is…it’d be nice to have a friend around to share it with.” She met his eyes with a shy tentative smile.


“Friends?”


“Yeah,” she laughed. “You know…tell each other about their past. Share stories with each other, hopes and dreams? That kind of stuff….” she trailed off. “I haven’t had a lot of friends since-”


“What happened with Riley?”


“No,” Cordelia sighed, sadly. “Since school finished.”


‘You’re either friends with her or you walk out of her life forever. You can’t have all of her.’ Angel’s mind screamed.


“Friends…” he smiled. “Friends I can do.”


“Thank you,” Cordy smiled, taking another sip from her glass of water, resting her head on the back of the chair. The night’s breeze along with the rocking from the swing chair, were lulling her to sleep.


They were silent for a few minutes before Angel spoke.


“So how does this work exactly?”


Cordelia let out a laugh, staring at Angel as if he was out of his mind.


“I don’t connect with people,” he coughed. “women really well. I’m more of a-”


“One night man?” Cordelia offered, a teasing smile tugging on the corners of her mouth.


“Yeah,” Angel laughed, shaking his head in embarrassment.


“It’s pretty simple really. We’ll start slow, ok. Cover the basic’s first.” Cordy said, rubbing soothing slow circles across her abdomen.


“Right…” Angel said, trailing off, waiting for Cordelia to start what would be the beginning of their friendship.


“My name is Cordelia Chase. I’m 20,” she smiled, breaking their gaze briefly. “My favourite colour is purple and I’m a valley girl and ex cheerleader.”


Cordelia laughed, seeing the look that came across Angel’s face when she told him that she used to be a cheerleader, it was priceless.


“I grew up in a family that had a lot of power. My father was a wealthy man and in turn made me and my mother quite wealthy…” A sad smile appeared on Cordelia’s face. “My father was never good at gambling,” she bitterly laughed. “He knew it too. He gambled away out lives, our estate, our belonging’s, everything… I left home when I was about 19 to become a model,” she glanced down at her swollen belly. “A career which wasn’t all I’d hoped it would be. Before I came to Sunnydale I was living in a cockroach infested whole of an apartment and living off whatever food I could get from my job.”


Angel was shocked to say the least. With one eyebrow raised in shock and interest he motioned for her to continue.


“I’ve worked at the diner ever since I moved out from home. It manages to pay the bills and gets me by…for the time being anyway.” She said sadly, feeling the all to familiar flutters of her child rolling around in her belly.


“That’s….wow.”


Angel didn’t know what to say, didn’t know how to react to what he’d just heard. The longest conversation he’d had with any other female was Anya, and she was practically one of the boys, not to mention the band’s publicist.


Cordelia gave Angel’s shoulder a nudge.


“This is where you give me the run down of your life,” she giggled, sitting patiently in silence, waiting for him to start.


“Right,” he coughed. “My name is Liam O’Connor, aka Angel or Angelus to my friends. I’ve just recently turned 24 and I…”


Cordelia sat, smiling as she intently listened to Angel tell her about his life. Where he grew up, what his favourite food was, what his favourite colour was and most importantly about why he was the way he way. He was a womaniser for a reason and Cordelia couldn’t help but feel sorry for Angel when hearing about the number of women who had crushed his heart.


Tonight was the very beginning of what was going to be an amazing friendship.


Chapter End Notes:
I'm going to try and write another chapter before i go into surgery lol.... so let me know what you thought??? Is everyone liking the new friendship between Angel and Cordelia???