Disclaimer- All BTVS and ATS characters belong to Joss....

A Whole New World


“Buffy, this is…”

“Spike?” Hank looked at her strangely.

“Excuse me honey?” She continued to stare at him in utter disbelief. ‘No way this could be happening. This can’t be Spike. This is not Spike world. This is normal world.’ Buffy’s brain was trying to process what was happening. ‘Could he have been sent too? No, of course not. Unless he found a way. Bastard. Couldn’t he just leave her alone?’

“Buffy?” Hank was becoming more and more concerned about his daughter. She looked almost as if she’d seen a ghost. “Buffy?” He reached over to touch her shoulder. The young man beside him however was giving Buffy an even stranger look.

“What? Huh?” Buffy seemed to snap out of her trance and looked at her father.

“Are you alright dear? Do you need to lie down?”

“No. No, I’m fine. I just…” She looked at “Spike”. “Who are you?” she asked him.

“I’m James.” He reached out his hand. She stared at it a moment before slowly reaching out her hand to shake his.

“Buffy…” she replied.

“It’s nice to finally meet you.” She pulled her hand back and eyed him curiously. There was something strange about this James character. He looked and sounded like Spike. Only…he didn’t seem to have an accent. He wore blue jeans and a white t-shirt, but his hair was the same bleached color she had known him to have.

“Finally?” She wanted to know what he meant by that.

“Yeah. Well we’ve never officially met. I only just moved here a few weeks before you…” He cut himself off.

“Went crazy?” He smiled at that.

“Well I wouldn’t say that.”

“What would you say then?” She crossed her arms and waited for his response.

“Well I…” He wasn’t exactly sure how to respond. He was afraid to upset her. After all, she had only been out of the Looney bin for a few hours.

“Buffy sweetheart, why don’t you go inside and see if your mother needs any help with dinner.” She replied without taking her eyes off of James.

“Actually I was just going out. I was gonna take a walk. You know…clear my head.” She looked over at her father.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” he asked.

“Dad. I’m 21 years old. I’ll be fine.”

“But you just got home…are you sure you don’t wanna rest?”

“I think I’ve done enough resting the past 6 years.” Hank contemplated this.

“Okay. But try and be back before too long.” She nodded and walked pasted them and onto the sidewalk.

‘What a strange girl,’ James thought to himself as she walked away. ‘Better steer clear of that one.’

“I’m sorry about that,” Hank told him. “She’s still a little…out of it.”

“It’s alright,” James replied.

Hank stared after his daughter. “I just hope she’ll be able to adjust to everything. I mean…it’s been so long since she’s been out in the world, and there are so many things I am afraid I can’t teach her. And her mom’s just so happy to have her back she’s probably willing to let her do anything she wants…”

“I think she’ll be fine. She just needs time,” James said staring at the girls retreating form.

“I just hope we have that much time.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Buffy’s mind was racing.

‘Okay…so Spike is here. But it’s not Spike. It’s James. But it looks like Spike and kind of sounds like Spike. Except for the lack of Englishness. Maybe it’s just in my head, and it’s defiantly not him. But what if it is? What if he’s just pretending to be that guy and pretending not to know me in front of my dad? Maybe….aauuuggghhhh.’

She stomped her feet on the ground. This was soooo unfair. This was supposed to be her normal world. With no vampires. But clearly he wasn’t a vampire. He was out in the sun. But he could have that gem thing. But Angel smashed that. But there could be others. This was so frustrating.

She really needed to talk to someone. Like Willow. But there was no Willow in this world. Unless of course there was. Anything was possible. She wondered briefly if she had any friends. If she had, they probably weren’t her friends anymore. She had, after all, been in a coma-like state for 6 years.

She continued walking, thinking about all of the things she had missed. Prom, graduation…At least she had in this world. She hadn’t even got to have a 21st birthday. At least not a proper one without getting locked in your house with your friends, a couple of demons, and a horny vampire. Stupid vampire.

Buffy pulled her jacket tighter around her as the wind picked up. Stupid world. She continued walking until she reached town. There were a few shops here and there. She vaguely remembered some of them. Buffy stopped walking as she came upon a magic shop. She peered in the window and saw and few people looking around. She resisted temptation to go in, and kept walking, not noticing the young red headed woman who rose up from behind the counter to help a customer.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Where is she?” Joyce was pacing.

“Don’t worry dear; it’s only 5:30.”

“But I told her to be home by 5:00. Oh God. What if something happened to her? What if she was kidnapped?...or worse…” Hank put a hand on his wife’s shoulder.

“She’ll be okay…I’m sure she just…lost track of time.”

As if on cue the front door opened and in walked Buffy. Joyce ran to her daughter and embraced her.

“Honey, I was so worried. Where have you been?”

“Just walking.”

“For two and a half hours?” Hank had walked up behind Joyce who pulled away from her daughter.

“There was a lot to see.” Joyce seemed to accept the answer, but Hank didn’t look too convinced. Joyce led her daughter over to couch.

“Dinner’s ready. I made you your favorite. Chicken and Rice.” “I hope you’ll still like it.”

“Thanks mom.” Buffy put on a fake smile as her mother proceeded to the kitchen to set the table. As soon as she was out of the room Hank spoke up.

“Buffy, you had your mother worried to death. If she tells you to be home at five, be home at five. Understood?”

“I’m not a child dad,” Buffy said standing up.

“Well you are still my baby, Buffy. And we just got you back. We don’t want to lose you again.”

“You’re not gonna lose me.”

“I know, it’s just…we worry is all.”

“You don’t have to. I can take care of myself.” He smiled. That was the old Buffy he knew and loved.

“I know you can dear.” At that particular moment the door bell rang.

“Who’s here?” Buffy asked.

“Oh. I hope you don’t mind. Your mother and I thought it would be nice to invite the Johansson’s over for dinner,” Hank replied walking over to the door. Buffy wondered who the Johansson’s were. She also wondered if she would recognize them as being from her other “made-up” world.

“Hey Frank, Barbra,” Hank greeted. He and Frank shook hands as he motioned them inside. Joyce entered the room and gave a similar greeting as Hank had.

“Oh where’s Julie?” Joyce asked Barbra.

“Oh out gallivanting around with that boyfriend of hers I’d suspect.” They both smiled. “I swear to goodness that girl drives me crazy. I’m just glad she’s found her a decent man with a good job.”

“Yes. He was quite the catch wasn’t he?” The two women continued their gossip, but Buffy tuned them out, ceasing to care. The two men on the other hand had taken a seat on the couch and were discussing sports or something else exceedingly boring. Buffy wandered into the kitchen. She peered at the dinner. It looked pretty good, but she just didn’t seem to be hungry.

She walked out onto the back porch and leaned against the porch post. Her back yard was similar to the Sunnydale one. She closed her eyes and let the cool air rush over her face.

“Hello pet.” Buffy’s eyes popped open. In front of her stood Spike, decked out in his black shirt, shoes, and coat.

“What are you doing here?” He smirked as he walked closer.

“Just standing about. You?”

“How did you get here? You’re not supposed to be here.” He came to stand beside her, and put his hand to her head.

“This is how.” She looked confused.

“I don’t understand.”

“You will.”

“Buffy.”

Buffy opened her eyes. The back yard was empty. She turned around to see her mom standing in the door way.

“Yeah?”

“Dinner time.”