Author's Chapter Notes:
Spuffy next chapter keep your hats on.
Spike looked up at the commotion the entering Scoobies. Buffy didn’t even bother to move in his arms after her initial jump at the loud noise. She knew who it was and that they probably wouldn’t be very happy about finding her like this. After all as far as they were concerned Buffy never once had shown an ounce of attraction to the vampire.

“My god Buffy you’re cuddling the undead there”

‘Sigh… that would be Xander,’ she thought.

“I’m sure she’s just going through a hard time. We brought her back from who knows what hell she’s just clinging onto the first thing that will let her. It’s perfectly natural”

‘Willow and all her poorly rationalized assumptions’

“Guys just shut up would you? You fought alongside him every night! He helped save my life and here when everything is just a little more shiny you are so quick to drop him back to the level of...of what exactly? Just another Buffy-bot with lighter hair?”

Dawnie.

Spike looked down back to the charge clinging onto him in his lap. She had started sobbing quietly. She held onto him tightly almost as if she were afraid he would dust in her arms or something. It was almost comical to him really. He had a crush on her forever and now all a sudden she comes back from the dead and she couldn’t get her off him. Not that he’d want her to. Had he known death would cause such a dramatic change he might have offed her forever ago.

He winced horribly at his own idea. He told himself he loved her over and over. And he was devastated by her death how could think so unkindly of her all a sudden? He had killed countless people including two slayers but had never felt any remorse, ever. He couldn’t even think about hurting Buffy without almost crying. Something inside him rebelled at the very idea of her suffering.

Buffy felt him stiffen and looked up into his eyes. It looked like he was sad and confused about why. His distress did little to comfort her. She kept thinking the moment he’d throw her off his lap in front of the others was just around the corner. He tilted her head at her and smiled. It was all she needed to break down sobbing again.

Anya walked over to Buffy and handed her a tissue.

“Buffy it is okay Xander and I have good news!”

“Ahn!”

Willow came closer to Buffy as well. She gave Spike a vexed sort of look and put her hand on the sobbing girl’s shoulder. Trying as delicately as she could Willow was trying to slowly pry her off of Spike. What kind of hell dimension would make Buffy crave the affection of the soulless undead?

“Come on Buffy maybe if we can get you up and sit you on the couch we can, you know get with the not quite so icky peer bonding?”

Willow increased the pressure on Buffy’s shoulder looking around for some extra support. Xander and Anya were quietly bickering about something. Dawn looked miserable.

‘Poor girl we should have told her everything before we did this’

Tara was hugging onto the little girl. Willow had trouble reading her girlfriend’s expression for the first time in a long while. It was as if she were very happy and melancholy at the same time but not for the whole Buffy being back circumstances but the matter at hand. What could possibly be happy about Buffy’s re-found talent of vampire hugging? This one didn’t even have a soul.

“Let go Buffy it’ll be okay you’re home now. Just let go.”

Buffy felt the pressure on her shoulder begin to separate her from Spike’s cool chest and she shook herself out of her daydreams of hot cocoa to become aware of what Willow was trying to do. Again.

“NO WILLOW YOU CAN’T TAKE ME AWAY FROM HIM! NOT AGAIN! YOU BROUGHT ME BACK TO HELL DON’T TAKE WHAT I HAVE LEFT HERE.”

It took a minute for the group to register what she had said. Dawn cried a little more. Tara slowly lowered her head in resignation. Xander was aghast and looked like he was choking. Anya wrinkled up her nose at Buffy’s sudden outburst more than what she said. Willow looked devastated. They had all assumed she was in some hell dimension not somewhere that would make here look like hell.

Spike didn’t know what to think. Inside he felt both elated and repulsed. He had waited so long for her to return just an ounce of affection and would have stabbed his own sire to make the girl happy but he couldn’t believe there existed a dimension where he already had it all. What had he done here to deserve it so bad off? He didn’t feel as he deserved her as he returned the slayer hug and patted her softly on the back. Spike had never gotten the girl and now that he did he wasn’t quite sure what to do with her.

Some place out there Buffy loved him and he didn’t have the slightest idea what that Spike had done that he never got around to trying yet. He tried making her money but that blew up in his face. He tried the direct approach and that usually left him bloodied and drinking scotch in his crypt alone for days. He was afraid to do anything except hold the slayer in his arms. He didn’t want to blow what felt like his only shot with keeping the girl now he got her.

‘Too bad the poof isn’t here to see my glorious triumph eh pet?’

Again his bad thoughts caused him to wince in pain. This time it was like something was tugging at his still heart. Squeezing what was left of it into even less. It reminded him again of all the people he had killed and it hurt. But just like that it was gone again.

Buffy glared at Willow and the rest of the gang daring them to try and move her. When she was fairly sure the thought was far from their mind if they valued various bones being intact she turned her eyes back to Spike just in time to see his wincing.

“Spike you are hurt.”

Without a second thought she gave him a tender kiss.