Author's Chapter Notes:
Gasp! I'm updating again! I can't believe it myself :) Thank you again to Dusty273 for being so wonderful and finding all my little mistakes and helping me sort things out. She's the best!
And thanks to all of you who reviewed the last chapter, it keeps my muse working :) Though I have had to put some more energy into my Spuffy Haven Solstice entry as of late, but I promise to keep these chapters coming as often as I can.
Enjoy and please review!
Chapter 12 – Dancing the night away

Buffy couldn’t help her excited fidgeting as Spike’s black DeSoto pulled into the parking lot near The Bronze. She couldn’t wait to boogey it up on the dance floor for the first time in months. She had spent hours picking out clothes and primping in front of the mirror with Dawn putting on fashion shows with her discarded outfits.

“You’re actin’ like you’re a sixteen year old sneakin’ into your first pub, luv,” Spike said as he helped her out of the car. He was happy that she was already enjoying her night so much, but it reminded him of how much she was already giving up while raising Dawn.

“I can’t help it. I haven’t been out like this in months! And besides, Xan is bringing Anya so that should be interesting,” Buffy practically skipped toward the entrance, Spike’s hand being her only restraint. “When’s Tara coming?”

“Said she’d be here in an hour or so. She had to finish up at work,” Spike let her walk ahead of him and lead the way, since he hadn’t met her friends yet.

“Buffy! Over here,” Willow called from the couches in one of the corners. “We couldn’t get our usual spot and hey, more people, so we figured that we’d be all with the roominess here.”

Buffy smiled, pulling Spike onto the couch next to her. “Spike, this is Willow and her boyfriend Oz.”

“Hi,” Willow grinned at Spike, excited to finally meet Buffy’s elusive boyfriend.

“Hey,” Oz reached out a hand and shook Spike’s.

“Oz is in a band. Dingoes Ate My Baby. They play here sometimes,” Buffy supplied.

“Yeah, I’ve heard you guys play a couple of times. You’re very good,” Spike offered.

“I’m his band’s groupie,” Willow interjected at Oz’s nod.

“No, you’re my inspiration,” Oz said earning a bright smile from Willow who leaned in to kiss his cheek. “Do you play?” he questioned Spike.

“Yeah, a little. Guitar mostly, some piano. Is it that obvious?” Spike asked quirking a brow.

“Nah, call it musician’s eye,” Oz smiled.

“You play two instruments?” Buffy was shocked. In the two months she’d known him, Spike had never mentioned that he played. She would have to ask him more about his musical talents later, perhaps he even sang…

“Sure do. I’m a man of many talents, pet,” Spike smiled smugly at her. “Da plays as well.”

“What?” Buffy found herself stunned by that revelation, she had no idea either of them played but the idea of Giles—sorta stuffy, yet fatherly, tweed-clad Giles—playing any musical instrument was quite shocking.

“Is there room for more at this gathering of couply goodness?” Xander’s voice came from behind the couch Buffy and Spike were seated at.

“Sure is!” Willow exclaimed, smiling brightly at Xander but faltering when Anya waved from behind him.

“Hello, Xander’s friends,” Anya quipped, eyes scanning the group.

“Ahn, this is Oz, Willow’s boyfriend, Buffy’s right here in front,” Xander introduced, pausing to take in the bleached blonde, leather clad man with his arm around Buffy. “I assume this is Spike,” he trailed off.

“Hi everyone! Well, you both make handsome couples. Good to have orgasm friends for everyone so there is no petty jealousy,” Anya finished brightly, her trademark bluntness clear to everyone meeting her for the first time. She tugged on Xander’s arm and settled across from Spike and Buffy, with a possessive hand still latched onto his thigh.

“So you’re Spike,” Xander started, eyes flitting over to Willow for confirmation.

“Yeah, mate, tha’s me. And you’re Xander then?” Spike started getting a bad vibe from the young man, but didn’t want to pursue it with Buffy around. Instead he reached across the open space, hand extended in greeting. Both Buffy and Willow sighed in relief when Xander complacently shook the blonde’s hand.

“Yep, I’m the Xand-man. Buffsters bestest bud,” he replied, bristling at Spike’s presence, even after the handshake.

“Xander, Buffy and I have been friends since the seventh grade. And Oz went to high school with us,” Willow interjected before Xander could stick his overly large foot in his mouth.

“I see… So you know all of my girl’s lil’ secrets then?” Spike gave Willow a conspiring wink.

“Hey! No bad mouthing Buffy! I was an angel,” Buffy pouted playfully at Willow.

“Yeah, cuz’ burning down the high school’s gym is such an angelic deed,” Xander piped up from the corner, rolling his eyes.

“What?” It was Spike’s turn to gasp at the newfound knowledge.

“It wasn’t really my fault, I was framed… I’m sure Snyder did it to get me,” Buffy looked down at her hands, face flaming. Buffy really didn’t want to get into all the gory details about that night. Suffice to say, she had no involvement in the incident, it was all one of her ex-boyfriends’, Pike, fault.

“You owe me an explanation later, missy,” Spike rumbled in her ear. Spike thought she was adorable and was more than a little intrigued what events could have led to a fire. Spotting his friend from across the room, he motioned Tara over.

“Hi, Spike,” the blonde girl smiled shyly when Spike stood to fold her into a quick and friendly hug, knowing she needed reassurance to face so many new people at one time.

“Hey, Glinda,” he turned her to face Buffy, “This is my girl, Buffy. An’ her mates, Red, Oz, Anya, and Xander.”

“Hi,” Tara said shyly with a small wave, making her way to sit between Spike and Willow.

“Glinda, that’s a great name!” Willow gushed immediately as Tara sat down.

“Um, n-no. My na-name is T-Tara,” she stuttered, embarrassed by the attention.

“I jus’ call her Glinda cuz she’s like the good witch. Never met a sweeter bird,” Spike supplied, turning quickly to appease Buffy with a warm kiss, pulling her closer.

“We’re in the same poetry class, aren’t we?” Buffy asked, noting how shy Tara was, and hoping she could help her feel more comfortable within the group.

“W-with Linda Potts? I-I think I’ve seen you in class,” Tara smiled at Buffy. Spike had done nothing but sing her praises since he met Buffy and her sister, so Tara was excited to finally have a chance to speak to her herself. If she had interests which leaned toward the male population, she might have been jealous of the petite blonde. Spike had been an amazing friend to her and they often had lunch together at the mall.

“Yep, that’s the one! We should totally sit together. And study together, I’m completely useless,” Buffy said.

“Not useless, pet. Jus’ challenged,” Spike said with a cheeky grin and a wink at Tara.

“Buff’s not challenged, man. She’s got a lot on her plate,” Xander decided to pipe in.

“He didn’t mean it, Xander,” Buffy was shocked at Xander’s behavior, not expecting this level of jealousy. “He’s just commenting on his own tutoring ability.”

“Xander, dance with me now,” Anya practically pulled Xander away and onto the dance floor, no doubt in for a tongue lashing from a very irate girlfriend.

“Sounds like a good idea, luv. Care for a dance?” Spike asked, taking Buffy’s hand and leading her toward the floor at her nod.

When they stepped onto the dance floor, the music blaring through the speakers had a quick beat and they enjoyed moving to the fast rhythm for a couple of tracks. When the band playing for the night got back on stage though, the music slowed down allowing Buffy to enjoy the feel of Spike’s strong arms around her. There was no need for words as he slipped his arms around her back and pulled her against his strong torso. Buffy let the slow music take over her movements and fill her senses with all things Spike as they swayed together.

Spike loved the feel of Buffy’s soft, yet lean, body pressed intimately against him. He felt his body stir in response to her nearness and reined in his ardor as much as he could. In the two months they’d been together, they still hadn’t well, been together in all senses of the phrase. Dawn was almost always with Buffy these days, too afraid to leave her for too long in case she disappeared like their parents. Though Spike didn’t blame the girl for a second, it was certainly frustrating to be prevented from something they both desperately wanted.

Buffy’s thoughts mirrored Spike’s as she felt her own stirrings of arousal. If the situation had been different, they would have had plenty of crazy monkey sex by now. But, she reminded herself, the situation was as it was, and there was no changing it for the moment. In a couple of weeks though, Dawn would be staying with Janice for the first time since her mother’s passing, which would be a big step for her. And perhaps for Buffy as well.

She felt the tension that had knotted into her back relax as she danced with Spike, allowing him to lead her through whatever steps came next, both on the dance floor and in life.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


A few hours of dancing and conversation later left Buffy feeling happier and more relaxed than she had been in weeks. After Xander’s initial spiteful remarks, it appeared that Anya had given him a stern talking to. He was pleasant the rest of the night, even going as far as challenging Spike to a game of pool. Xander lost, but was gracious enough to buy everyone a round of drinks. All in all the evening had served its purpose, allowing Buffy to spend some quality time with her friends in an adult environment.

Giles had offered to take care of Dawn for the evening and was waiting in the living room of the Summers’ residence when the couple came home. He offered a quick goodnight to Buffy, assuring her that all had gone well with Dawn, but that he was well past his bedtime.

“So did you have fun, kitten?” Spike pulled Buffy closer as soon as the door clicked shut behind his father’s retreating back. He buried his face in Buffy’s throat, inhaling her scent, his breath sending shivers up and down her spine.

“Yeah, definitely with the fun having,” she murmured her reply, caught up in his intimate attention. She tugged lightly at his curls, bringing his lips up to meet hers and claiming a passionate kiss. Both were so caught up in the moment that they didn’t hear the soft footsteps padding down the stairs.

“Are you two kissing?” Dawn’s sleepy voice startled Buffy at its proximity. When she opened her eyes and glanced down beside her, it was to find her little sister, teddy bear in arms, staring up at them, nose wrinkled in disgust. “That’s gross!”

Spike chuckled, partially due to frustration at the moment being interrupted. “’S not gross, nibblet,” he said kneeling down next to her. Dawn shrugged her shoulders and yawned widely. “What are you doin’ up, kiddo?”

“Couldn’t sleep. I had those bad dreams again an’ I need to sleep with Buffy,” Dawn’s eyes started to glisten, but no tears fell. Buffy was well aware that she was dreaming about being left alone. Dawn had told her a few nights earlier that she was scared that Buffy would leave her all alone and go join Mommy and Daddy in Heaven. Though Buffy had tried to reassure her she wasn’t going to leave her, Dawn hadn’t really been able to sleep alone since.

“Well I’ll be up in a minute, sweetheart, I just have to say goodnight to Spike and get ready for bed,” Buffy said, stroking the top of her sister’s head.

“Can Spike wait with me while you get ready?” Dawn asked, stealing a glance at Spike. He shrugged, allowing Buffy to make the decision. Sighing Buffy nodded and lead the way up the stairs, leaving Spike and Dawn to go in and get settled in her bedroom.

After quickly scrubbing her face and brushing her teeth, Buffy changed into her pajamas and headed back to her room. She heard the low timbre of Spike’s voice as he read to Dawn before she opened the door and slipped inside. Smiling, she took in the scene before her. Spike hadn’t bothered to remove his leather jacket and lay in bed beside Dawn. The black of his attire sharply contrasting with the soft pink hues of her bedroom, and seeing the Disney Princesses’ book opened on his lap while Dawn snuggled on his shoulder clutching Mr. Gordo was almost too much for Buffy. She couldn’t help the soft giggle that erupted from her.

“You two look so adorable!” Buffy cooed as she walked up to the bed, giving Spike’s head a soft pat for good measure. Dawn looked up at her, annoyed at story time being interrupted, but soon snuggled back against Spike’s shoulder, too tired to put up a fight.

“Sure do, pet, as do you,” Spike took in the light blue pajamas with small bits of fish all over it.

“Like my yummy sushi pajamas?” Buffy asked cheekily.

“Would like to see it off you,” he whispered, noting Dawn had nodded off, full leer firmly in place. Buffy smiled at him and watched as he gently extracted himself from underneath the sleeping child. He pointed toward the door and the two adults crept out of the room and back downstairs.

“I guess I better be on my merry way,” Spike pulled Buffy close for a soft kiss.

“Yeah, you better,” Buffy smiled up at him before stealing another deeper kiss. Before they could find themselves in another compromising position though, Buffy pushed Spike gently toward the door and out into the night. With a final kiss, the couple parted over whispered goodnights, leaving Buffy to lock up and join her sister in her bed.