Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all your wonderful reviews last chapter, I'm hoping to get a few more up before Christmas, but my wedding is fast approaching and eating away at my time so I can't make any real promises on how often I'll update. Thank you as always to the wonderful Dusty273 for her beta work and encouraging words, they make me so much more confident I'm on the right track :) Enjoy and please review!
Chapter 13 – The Social Worker of Death





Buffy was busy organizing snacks in the kitchen. She had a midterm coming up in English so had invited Tara over for a study session. She wasn’t necessarily nervous about the upcoming exam, but she was getting to know Tara and studying provided a chance for them to spend some time outside of campus together. Buffy really liked her and was quickly understanding Spike’s friendship with her.

There was a sharp rap on the front door causing Buffy to frown. It was at least an hour before Tara was supposed to arrive and Dawn was at kindergarten all morning, and she would go straight over to Janice’s afterwards for her sleepover. Shaking her head, she made her way quickly to open the front door.

The opened door revealed a very short, seeing as she was shorter than Buffy herself, middle aged woman with brown hair and mousy features.

“Miss Summers, I presume?” The woman pointed to the clip-on name tag attached to the front of her sweater and continued, “Mary Stevens. I’m from social services. I’m assigned to Dawn Summers’ case.”

“Oh h-hi, Mrs. Stevens,” Buffy stammered.

“It’s Miss. Care to step aside so I can complete my inspection?” The social worker pushed by Buffy who was still too surprised to really register what was happening. The mousy woman proceeded to make rapid notes on her clipboard, completely ignoring Buffy. Buffy closed the front door and followed the woman into the dining room.

“Where is Dawn now, Ms. Summers?” Ms. Stevens asked with a pointed look at Buffy.

“Oh, she’s at kindergarten at the moment. Then she has been invited to spend the night at her friend Janice’s house,” Buffy nervously answered.

The social worker scribbled furiously. “Please direct me to her bedroom, I need to finish my inspection and then we will sit down and go through your options.”

“Options?” Buffy asked but only received an annoyed look for response. She motioned the woman to follow her and proceeded to show her Dawn’s bedroom. After more scribbling, they made their way into the kitchen where she promptly opened the refrigerator and pantry, harrumphing when she noted the lack of food.

“W-we are going grocery shopping tomorrow. I-it’s kinda a sister shopping day complete with ice creamy goodness,” Buffy explained, facing the woman across the island counter.

“Ms. Summers, though I am certain that you’re telling me the truth, there are more pressing concerns than the state of your pantry at the moment. Though it certainly doesn’t make me feel any more secure concerning your sister’s welfare.” The woman proceeded to remove a manila folder from her bag. “I have gone through your financial files and have noticed that your situation is far from ideal.”

“W-we’re fixing that, I promise,” Buffy pressed with a hint of desperation in her tone. “We’re looking for an apartment so we can rent this house out. The ad is going in the paper next week.”

“Are you certain that it is in your sister’s best interests to move her in such a fragile state? Are you even aware that she has been withdrawing at school? Her teacher has shown concern about it recently,” the woman glared at her patronizingly.

“N-no, she hasn’t talked to me a-about that,” Buffy stuttered. She had no idea why this woman was attacking her. She was doing the best she could. “And Dawn is actually excited about moving into a smaller place. We have been looking at apartments recently so she is involved in the whole process.”

“Hmm, well, I doubt that she is as happy as she is letting on. Really, Ms. Summers, do you truly think you have what it takes to raise your sister?” The woman looked at her coldly.

“W-what? I can raise her just fine,” Buffy was shocked and angered at the accusations this woman was sending her way. She hadn’t even been given a chance to explain before another reason she was a horrible sister was sent her way.

“We’ll see about that. I need to keep Dawn’s best interests in mind here, you should at least acknowledge that and be open to the idea that perhaps it is better for her to have a more stable environment. Frankly, Ms. Summers, I’m not sure you’re mothering material. I have reviewed your school files and records and am only trying to do what is fair for Dawn. Now, I will return in a couple of weeks to review the living standards. I expect to see some drastic changes and hopefully a more suitable environment for a child.” Buffy was so shocked that she couldn’t say anything; she mutely showed the woman to the door and nearly slammed it shut when she barely got a curt nod as a goodbye.

Buffy walked on autopilot to the sofa, sinking down with her head between her hands, tears spilling forward silently. She wasn’t mothering material? How would that bitch even know? She didn’t even get a chance to speak to her, show her that she wasn’t a high school screw up anymore. How dare she! She didn’t believe for a second that Dawn was withdrawing any more than was normal for a little girl who had just lost both parents. Maybe she should have taken her to the child psychologist, but Dawn had been so adamant against it. Buffy couldn’t do anything but cry softly, her shoulders shaking, feeling completely and utterly lost.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tara walked up the path to Buffy’s front door and knocked gently. When Buffy didn’t answer right away, she tried the doorknob, finding it open. Buffy had told her she sometimes didn’t hear knocking in the kitchen and to just let herself in.

“H-hello? B-Buffy?” Tara called softly. When she walked further into the hall, the door clicking softly closed behind her, she heard the muffled sobs. Turning toward the noise, she saw Buffy, oblivious to Tara’s entrance, crying into her hands.

“Buffy? What’s wrong?” Tara kneeled down in front of her, reaching out slowly to touch her shoulder.

“T-Tara?” Buffy looked up with red rimmed eyes and flushed cheeks. She had no idea how long she had been crying, nor had she noticed Tara’s arrival.

“Oh Buffy, what happened? Is Dawn okay? Why are you crying?” Tara softly murmured her questions, searching Buffy’s eyes for a response.

“I’m not m-mothering m-m-material,” Buffy chocked out, fresh sobs wracking her small frame. Tara’s own comforting nature took over and she settled down beside Buffy and pulled her into a hug. They didn’t know each other that well yet, but Tara couldn’t resist someone in such obvious pain.

“Who said you’re not m-mothering material?” Tara asked, dumbfounded that anyone would make such an accusation. She’d seen Buffy and Dawn together only once before, but it was so obvious that the sisters cared for each other and that Buffy had easily slipped into a mothering role. Her whole aura glowed with compassion and love; it was hard to imagine someone not seeing that.

“The evil social w-worker of death. She was here on a s-surprise visit. Told me I wasn’t good enough to take care of Dawn,” Buffy’s sobs were quieting with Tara’s soothing presence, but it was still difficult to form full sentences.

“Oh Buffy, I can’t believe that. She has to reconsider. Maybe you can challenge them,” Tara offered, not sure of what to say in the situation.

“I don’t know,” Buffy said quietly.

“Or, I-I could hex them,” Tara smiled in a bold display of humor. “I may not be too good for the aura, but maybe this would be worth it.”

Buffy smiled, “Can you make her think she’s going crazy? Turn me invisible so I can make her think she’s insane? That could work…”

Tara laughed softly, even if her heart was breaking for Buffy. Spike had told her about the financial issues and that the sisters had to leave their house behind, Tara couldn’t believe there would be even tougher times ahead. She wasn’t even sure why the social worker hadn’t even given Buffy a chance to explain herself, which certainly wasn’t anything within Dawn’s best interests.

“I’m sure it could, sweetie,” Tara replied to Buffy’s hopeful look. “But maybe you should talk to someone who knows how to d-deal with her on a m-more professional level.”

“Well, there’s Giles I guess,” Buffy sucked in her lower lip in thought. “But I’ve already asked him for help so much I don’t know if I can do it again.”

“I don’t think he minds, Buffy. He’s always talking about you and Dawn,” Tara interjected quietly.

“I know. But how does that make me an adult? I can’t even take care of my own problems with the social worker! I have to run off to another adult for help,” Buffy was getting agitated due to frustration and self-doubt.

“Would you rather lose Dawn?” Tara said. Buffy’s eyes shot over to meet Tara’s, turbulent emotions swirling in the emerald depths. “I-I m-mean it’s j-just as s-strong to a-ask for help w-when you n-need it.”

Buffy noted how nervous Tara had become, probably due to not wanting to overstep any bounds. She was always treading so carefully.

“I’m happy you’re here,” Buffy said, affectionately squeezing her hand. “You’re right,” she continued, sighing deeply. “I need to ask Giles for help again. I can’t be stubborn and proud when it comes to this.”

Tara smiled and nodded at Buffy in her usual calm fashion.

“Thanks Tara, for everything.” Buffy held Tara’s gaze. “You’re a great friend and I’m so happy Spike introduced us,” she finished with a brilliant smile.

Tara blushed furiously, not used to anyone appreciating her, let alone calling her a friend. “You’re a great friend too Buffy. A-and if you ever need anything then just tell me, okay?”

“Yeah, same for you missy! And we should totally have a girl’s night with Wills and Anya soon. It would be a fun filled night with plenty of girl talk and popcorny goodness.” Buffy smiled widely at Tara, relieved to have someone else in her life she felt she could unload to.

“Sounds good,” Tara replied with a similar smile. She reached toward her book bag and pulled out her notes, “Wanna start studying?”

“Yeah,” Buffy replied, reaching for her own books. Buffy knew she could instate a plan of attack against the purely evil social worker.