Author's Chapter Notes:
No, you're not seeing things, this is an actual update... A long overdue one at that. I had a crazy month and can only blame it on that. I got married after Christmas and had appendicitis on the day (joy) and had to go in for surgery a few days later so after that much pain it doesn't really inspire any writing to be done. Then there was the honeymoon and trying to get back in the swing of things.... BUT I will try to make sure I update frequently. This story should only have a few more chapters left and I've started another one... though as I told Dusty273 that I don't actually have a first chapter yet, just a chunk in the middle, I'm not quite sure when I'll start posting it *blushes* I'm such a weirdo....

Anyhoo.... hope you all like the update and that people are still following the story. I'm hoping to polish of the next chapter tonight or tomorrow, fingers crossed it'll be up early next week.

Thank you as always to the wonderful and supportive Dusty273 for her beta work and the kick in the bum to get back on track with this story again!
Chapter 16 – Of Love and Politics





The sun glimmered in the warm late-spring sky as two figures left the social workers office. Buffy smiled up at the sky and did a happy twirl of relief.

“I can’t believe you said that, Giles!” Buffy giggled recalling the startled look on Ms. Stevens’ face when Giles had offered page after page of irrefutable proof of Buffy’s parenting aptitude. When the evil little woman had merely scoffed, he’d threatened to report her to her superiors for disrespectful behaviour and prejudice. That’s when the real fun had started.

“Well, Buffy, one thing you’ll learn as you get older is to not allow anyone, regardless of their supposed authority, take advantage of you,” Giles said gently, not wanting to lecture her. “You must always face these challenges head on, and be courteous… until they treat you differently. Then you can lay into them a bit.”

Buffy laughed at Giles’ wink, amazed at the tough man hidden below the high school librarian tweed. Giles had spoken to Ms. Stevens’ boss by the end of the interview and after having been presented with all the evidence in Buffy’s favor, Mr. Smith had been more than accommodating. It seemed the nightmare was over. At least in the realm of social workers and Dawn, this weekend was designated for moving out of the house and into their new apartment, so yet another hurdle to face.

“I can’t thank you enough for all you’ve done to help me,” Buffy smiled softly up at the older man. “I’ve had enough bumps now, I think I’m entitled to a bump-free Buffy move-a-polooza tomorrow.”

“As always, helping you is a pleasure. And William assures me you have more than enough help tomorrow,” Giles returned her smile. “The apartment is lovely, by the way.”

“I know; we’ll have to have you over for dinner when we’re all moved in. Keep up the tradition,” Buffy added.

“Indeed. Well, I best be off back to school. A high school librarian’s work is never done,” Giles finished in an odd burst of humor. “You’ll be alright making your own way?”

“Spike’s picking me up from The Espresso Pump in about fifteen minutes, so yeah, I’ll be fine,” Buffy said as she started veering towards the coffee shop. “Thanks again, it means the world to me.”

“Not a problem at all, Buffy. Just happy to help.” Giles smiled before getting into his old Citroen and heading off back to work.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Buffy had grabbed a couple of coffees and a table outside in the warm air. She was waiting for Spike to arrive and her nerves were seemingly on fire. After her conversation with Willow at the new apartment, she had given the matter of love a lot of thought. She had written lists, talked to herself, and meditated on her whole relationship with Spike and each time the answer seemed to be the same. She was completely and utterly in love with him. He did everything for her and loved Dawn, regardless of the responsibility. He was everything she could have hoped for and more which had lead to the gift she held nervously in her hands.

Spike’s Christmas present to her had meant so much. She had read each and every poem in it more times than she could count. She had even gotten Spike to read his favorites to her. Buffy had indulged her newfound love for poetry by borrowing more poetry books from the library and making copies of them so she could read them over and over again. When she admitted she loved Spike she had compiled a book of poems for him, just as he had for her. On the first page, she had written simply, To the man who inspires me. I love you. Buffy.

Now all she had to do was wait and see how he would react.

As if on cue, Spike’s hands settled on her shoulders, shocking her out of her daydreaming.

“Didn’ mean ta scare ya, love,” Spike murmured in Buffy’s ear. He moved around to face her and steal a kiss from her lips. “This for me?” He asked with his patented smirk indicating the larger of the two take-away coffee mugs.

“Yeah,” Buffy said a little breathlessly as her boyfriend grabbed the extra coffee mug. She knew she’d have to give him the book soon, or she’d chicken out for sure. “How was work?”

“Fine,” Spike answered with an apprehensive look. Buffy was acting a little strange and he was worried something had gone wrong with the social worker this morning. “How was the hell bitch conference?”

“Oh, good,” Buffy tried to sound more excited, in an attempt to overcome her nerves. “Your dad was totally awesome. She didn’t stand a chance at all. We ended up speaking to the head guy and he totally supported us. So now I’m single-mom-slash-sister-Buffy again. No hassles girl.”

“Well tha’s great, pet. Congratulations,” Spike smiled indulgently, reaching across the small table to take her hand. That’s when he noticed the small present she held in her hands. “Who’s that for?”

“Um,” Buffy started, averting her eyes. Do it! Do it! Her inner pep voice cheered her on. Buffy slid the package across the table before she lost her nerve, “It’s for you.”

“Me?” Spike questioned, one eyebrow raised high. “What for?”

“Oh, just something I wanted you to have,” she blushed nervously, watching as his long fingers started unwrapping the small book. Buffy felt her blood roaring in her ears and her heart pounding in her chest. She was sure Spike could hear it and smell her fear.

Spike didn’t reply to her reasoning, he just shot her another puzzled look, but was curious over what had brought this on. As the wrapping paper fell away, it revealed a beautiful journal which appeared to already be written in. He opened the book in the middle by habit and saw Buffy’s delicate handwriting fill up the pages. He scanned the familiar words to one of his favorite Keats poems before smiling up at the woman in front of him.

“Did you write all this out, Buffy?” he asked, touched by the gift, knowing he had inspired her love of poetry.

She nodded before whispering, “Read the front.”

Spike flipped the front cover of the book open and was stunned at the few words written there. I love you. Buffy. Buffy loved him? His mind seemed blank except for the words floating around in it. The beautiful girl who had managed to fall into his life and turned it upside down in the best possible way loved him? He couldn’t wrap his mind around the idea, knowing he’d loved her from the moment he laid eyes on her. Buffy’s fidgeting caused him to come back to the present.

“You love me?” He needed to hear the words come from those ruby lips of hers. He held her nervous gaze with his own intense blue one.

“Yeah,” Buffy acknowledged quietly, voice wavering slightly due to nerves. “I love you, Spike.”

Spike sat stunned for another second, reveling in the softly spoken words before he pounced on her like a big cat. He crushed his lips to hers, pouring his heart into the kiss. Her initial tension gave way as he prodded her mouth open with his tongue to deepen the kiss, to make it more passionate. He pulled away from her when his lungs started burning for air and rested his forehead against hers. He looked deeply into her eyes, sensing her need for reassurance.

“Oh Buffy, I love you so much,” he said, holding her gaze before pulling her lips in closer for another soul wrenching kiss. When the couple pulled apart a second time, both panting, it was to a small smatter of applause and cheers. Apparently, they had drawn a crowd of onlookers, not surprising due to their proximity to the pedestrian-rich street.

Buffy flushed scarlet while Spike faced the crowd, leer firmly in place. He quickly pulled Buffy up, grabbed his coffee and the precious gift and led his girl away from the unwanted attention. Buffy gripped his hand like a life line and all Spike could do was smile. His girl loved him. It was more than he ever dreamed of. The couple made their way towards Buffy’s house to prepare the last of the boxes for the big move the next day.