Author's Chapter Notes:
Well the chapter is back from the fabulous dusty273 who helped beta for me. Enjoy and please review!
Chapter 6: Help and Story Time…



Dawn was sitting on the floor next to the Christmas tree two hours later. She’d arranged her new toys and was systematically introducing herself to each of the stuffies and dolls, while acquainting with her new books and games.

“Dawn!” Buffy called from the kitchen where she had finally managed to stuff and tie the bird together just like in the picture from the recipe in her mom’s cookbook. She was covered in herbs and bits of unidentifiable food. “It’s time for your bath so that you’re ready for when Spike comes.”

“’Kay!” Dawn called from the living room.

“Do you want me to help you get ready sweetheart?” Buffy called.

“Yeah,” Buffy jumped when the reply came right behind her, “I want to wear the dress mommy got for me.” One of Dawn’s gifts had been a beautiful deep red dress with a note attached asking her to wear it for Christmas. Mom had wanted her little princess to look beautiful on such a magical day.

“Alright, princess. How about you run upstairs and get your shampoo ready and I’ll be up in a minute. And don’t forget to bring your dress with you and lay it out on the bed,” Buffy rinsed off her hands in the sink and dried them off before heading into the living room. Mom had gotten her a Christmas-themed outfit as well; a beautiful red silk top with a low-cut back which tied together at the nape of her neck, along with a black skirt which stopped right above her knee. She couldn’t wait for Spike to see it.

Buffy halted with the box in hand when she realized what she’d just considered. Why did she worry about what Spike liked? Sure, they’d spent every night on the phone since they met, but she really wasn’t ready for a relationship when she hadn’t even adjusted to her new role as older sister/single-mom/college student.

When she reached the upstairs bathroom, Dawn had lined up all her bath-toys on the edge of the tub, along with her bubble bath and shampoo.

“Ready!” she cried when Buffy entered.

Laughing, Buffy started filling the tub with water, mixing the bubble bath in with the stream from the faucet. Dawn watched the water filling in the tub and the bubbles started to form, randomly tossing in bath duckies and the little boat that mom had kept since Buffy was young.

“Alright, in you go you little monster,” Buffy made sure the water was the right temperature for the five year old then busied herself organizing her own shower supplies for after Dawn was finished. Dawn was splashing around in the water, making sure to splash some over the edge.

“Dunk your head under the water now missy, and stop splashing!” Dawn obliged and came up sputtering and rubbing her eyes. Buffy lathered up her long brown hair, softly singing along to the Christmas carols on the radio. After rinsing and waiting until she was nicely pruned, Buffy wrapped Dawn in a big towel. She rubbed her hair dry to the best of her ability and told her to go put on her robe and wait while Buffy had her own shower before helping her finish up.


~*~*~


Dawn was sitting on the toilet watching Buffy apply the last of her make-up when the doorbell rang. Jumping off the toilet, Dawn rushed down the stairs.

“Hi Spike!” Dawn opened the door wide, smiling up at him, before reaching her arms up for a hug. Spike chuckled and scooped her into his arms as she giggled and said, “Merry Christmas!”

“Merry Christmas to you too, nibblet,” with Dawn still perched in his arms he turned toward his father. “I want you to meet my da, this is Rupert Giles.”

“Merry Christmas, Mr. Giles,” Dawn smiled at the older man. “Are you coming in to help Buffy now?”

“Merry Christmas, Dawn,” Giles replied, “I’m certain your sister is not in such dire need of our help.”

“Dawn, why don’t you invite our guests in instead of just assaulting them on the doorstep,” Buffy had stopped at the top of the stairs and witnessed the sweet exchange between her sister and Spike before making her way down to join them.

Spike’s eyes landed on her for the first time and what he saw left him breathless. Buffy was stunning in a blood red top which skimmed her body, fitting loosely enough to just give a hint of her curves. The black skirt sat low on her hips, and flared out into soft pleats which fell down to her knees. She’d slipped on a pair of black knee-high leather boots which suited the whole outfit perfectly.

“And this must be Buffy,” his father extended his hand toward the lovely young woman when he noticed that his son was currently incapacitated.

“Yep, that’s me,” Buffy replied brightly, taking the proffered hand. Spike’s father gave off a comforting air, with kind eyes and a soft smile. “And you’re Spike’s dad I presume, unless he’s decided to bring a perfect stranger around.”

“Yes, well, I’m sure the thought would have occurred to him given the time. My name is Rupert Giles,” he smiled at Buffy.

“You can jus’ call him Giles though, luv,” Spike added having found his voice again.
“Oh, and Merry Christmas, Spike, and you too, of course, Giles,” Buffy ushered them inside off the porch and Dawn fussed to get out of Spike’s arms. Dawn asked politely for their coats, only to pass them off to Buffy as soon as she got them, and took Spike’s hand and pulled him into the living room where she was planning on showing him her gifts.


~*~*~


Buffy led Giles into the kitchen and offered him some of the eggnog she had whipped up earlier that morning.

“I think Mom kept the booze in the cupboard over the fridge if you want to check for some,” Buffy pointed him in the right direction and set about checking on the turkey. “It’s been in for about an hour and a half, so it should be ready around five thirty I think. Hope that’s okay.”

“Sounds absolutely wonderful Buffy,” Giles seated himself on one of the barstools, watching Buffy scurry around the kitchen. “I have to thank you for asking us to spend this holiday with you and your sister; it was most kind of you.”

“Oh it was nothing really,” Buffy replied, looking up from her perusal of her mother’s cookbook. “Dawn was the one who suggested the idea, though I’m glad she did. It would have been hard for us to be by ourselves today I have to admit.”

“I can only imagine how hard this must be for you,” Giles reached across the counter and grasped her small hand in his. “The first Christmas without Anne was the most difficult for us. Though I can’t say they get any easier after either,” he offered her a crooked smile.

“I can’t help thinking mom knew that she wasn’t going to be here,” Buffy found it very easy to open up to the man in front of her. “She had already gotten our presents this year, had them wrapped and ready in her closet, even though all the doctors said she was perfectly fine after the surgery. No one could have predicted the aneurism.”

“Well there are many theories and indeed stories about people being somewhat aware that their time is near and thus preparing their affairs without telling their family.”

“Maybe… It certainly feels that way,” Buffy withdrew her hand and looked back at the cookbook. “She had even arranged for one of the assistants at her gallery to look after the place all of December and January.”

“Your mother ran a gallery?” Giles was intrigued.

“Yeah, and art gallery in town, she loved it. It was her lifelong dream to have her own gallery, and after Dawn was born she went for it,” Buffy’s eyes filled with tears at the thought. Her mom had only really had her dream for a few years before she had to give it up again.

“May I ask what you are planning to do with the gallery now? Are you planning to get someone to run it for you?” Giles saw Buffy’s tears and hoped to divert her attention. He set about helping her out in the kitchen as well by starting to peel the potatoes.

“I don’t really know. Haven’t thought about it to be honest. I’m just trying to figure out how to manage to take care of Dawn and myself at the moment. And I have all of next month at least,” Buffy checked the freezer hoping to find the frozen peas she thought she’d seen earlier. “Eww, these peas are going to be mushy! I should have gotten fresh ones.”

“I like mushy peas,” Giles smiled at Buffy who responded by raising her eyebrow.

“I’ve heard things about you British people,” she put the peas on the counter to thaw.

“Spike appears to be quite taken with the two of you,” Giles watched Buffy closely out of the corner of his eye as he continued, “He hasn’t been this excited about anything since we moved to California.”

“Really?” Buffy couldn’t help the light flush which spread across her cheeks, “Well, Dawn is quite taken by him. She has been asking for him all week, I can only imagine what she’s torturing him with at the moment.”


~*~*~


Dawn was in the middle of trying to convince Spike to read to her from one of her new books while Buffy was busy in the kitchen with Giles.

“Can you pleeeaase read to me? I won’t tell you that you talk funny either!” Dawn was kneeling on the sofa cushion next to him after having shown him a running parade of the toys she’d received. She was batting her eyelashes and stuck her lower lip out in a pout when Spike only smiled at her.

“You promise you won’t tell me I talk funny?” Spike knew he couldn’t resist her, and Buffy had apparently decided she was old enough for a proper version of the Grimm fairytales, so he didn’t object at all to reading to the little bit.

“Pinky-swear!” After taking her proffered pinky and hooking his own around it, Spike spread his arms wide in the universal invitation for children to join an adult on their lap for story time.

“Alright, sweetheart,” Spike opened the contents list of the book, “What story do you want me to read for you?”

“Cinderella!” Dawn clapped her hands enthusiastically.

“Now bit you know that this isn’t that poncy Disney version? The step-sisters are very very mean,” Spike looked on in concern, hoping that Buffy was aware of the real ending of the old fairy tale.

“Yeah, an’ the old one has to cut off her toe!” Dawn appeared to be well aware of the ending which was enough for Spike. She helped him leaf through the book to the first page of the story.

“The wife of a rich man fell sick…” Spike started in his best low story-teller baritone.


~*~*~


Giles had just brought the turkey out for a round of basting when Dawn came into the kitchen.

“Buffy?” she looked up at her sister, “May I have some milk?”

“Sure you can,” she replied reaching into the cupboard for a glass, “why are you so polite all of a sudden?”

“Spike said that if I didn’t ask for things nicely Cinderella’s doves would come get me,” Dawn said in a small voice before thanking Buffy for the glass of milk.

“Oh did he?” Giles looked up when his son came sauntering into the kitchen after the perplexed little girl. “Do you really think that’s appropriate, William?”

Neither Buffy nor Giles were prepared for the giggles which erupted from Dawn at Giles’ reprimand.

“I told ya it would work,” Spike winked at Dawn.

“We jus’ pretended a little cuz Spike wanted to hear you laugh, Buffy,” Dawn’s giggles doubled in intensity when she saw the stunned look on her sister’s face. She looked up at Spike and smiled triumphantly. “Can your daddy read to me now? I have lots of stories left an’ he doesn’t talk as funny as you.”

“Hey! You pinky-swore that you wouldn’t tell me I talked funny,” Spike looked truly disappointed.

Before he could say anything further Giles mumbled, “Yes, well if he’d speak like he was brought up to I’m certain he would sound less funny.”

“Oi! Lay off,” Spike sat down glumly on one of the barstools and reached for the eggnog and rum.

“Will you please read me a story, Mr. Giles?” Dawn tugged at his leg and gave her best ‘please’ eyes.

“Certainly Dawn, let me just put the turkey back in the oven and then I’ll let William relieve me in my kitchen duties,” Giles was instantly drawn in by Dawn’s effective expressions. Buffy merely rolled her eyes at Spike, who returned her gesture with a smile.

“Seems nibblet lied about your culinary skills, pet,” Spike said as his father left the room with Dawn. “You look like you’re holding your own in here.”

Buffy blushed at the unexpected compliment, “Well your father was a real help, I would have forgotten all about the basting without him.”

“Don’t sell yourself short,” Spike made his way around the counter to survey her progress on the sweet potatoes. She was doing quite well, and looked happier than he expected her to. “Anythin’ I can do?”

“Um, not yet, unless you want to help me set the table,” Buffy was busy gathering plates and cutlery, and pointed Spike in the right direction for the glasses and napkins when he agreed to the task.


~*~*~*~


Once the table had been set in the dining room, Buffy and Spike made their way back into the kitchen. After checking on the progress of the turkey and sneaking a peek into the living room where Giles was busy helping Dawn read a few passages, she hopped up on the stool next to Spike.

“Thanks for being so great with Dawn, she really likes you.”

“’s no problem. I like her too; she’s got quite the lust for violence though. Was cheerin’ when the evil step-sisters got their eyes pecked out.”

Buffy laughed, “Yeah, Mom used to insist that we have the ‘real deal’ when we were old enough. She must have thought the book would be appropriate. Dawn may be a bit young for some of them though,” she added scrunching up her nose.

“Nah, my own mum used to read them to me when I was Dawn’s age, and I turned out fine,” Spike leered at her, tongue stuck behind his teeth.

“Oh no! My sister’s gonna turn out to be a wanna-be punk! Whatever shall I do?” Buffy cried in mock horror.

“Oi! What is it with you lot ganging up on me today,” Spike smiled, “I thought Christmas was a time for love and bein’ nice and gingerbread houses.”

“Yeah, I’m sure you’re just horrified at our behaviour. So you get something nice for Christmas then?”

“Da got me some CDs, all punk classics I assure you. What about you? I’ve seen all of Dawn’s fabulous gifts so I can only imagine.”

“Oh nothing much really. I’m sure Dawn told you about the presents mom left us, and Willow got me a top that I’d been eyeing and Xander, well he got me a gift card, so pretty good all in all,” Buffy shot Spike a glance.

“Sounds like it pet. So that outfit’s your mom’s present to ya then,” he made sure she saw his appreciative once-over before adding, “wish she was here so I could tell her how much I appreciate it.”

“You pig!” she slapped him lightly on the arm. “She was always good at presents. There’s still one I haven’t opened.”

“Really? Not ready to let go?” Spike didn’t want Buffy to loose the carefree air she’d had since they arrived, but sensed she needed to tell someone.

“No, I’m not. I don’t know what it is, it’s stupid really, I mean it’s not like she wants me to wait or anything. She probably wants me to have it right away, maybe it’s something useful… and now I’m babbling,” she blushed and looked into her nog.

“Don’t worry luv,” Spike took her fidgeting hands into his own and made her face him, “If you want someone there when you decide to open it let me know.”

“Well, I’m kinda happy you said that because I have this idea, and you don’t have to say yes, but I-I’d really like you to come,” her green eyes flickered with uncertainty, but the encouragement and compassion she saw in Spike’s blue eyes allowed her to continue. “Dawn and I wanted to stop by the cemetery and leave her the flowers and letters we wrote, and to say Merry Christmas, and well, I was hoping that maybe you’d come along? I thought I could open my gift there with her.”

Spike was touched; he could hardly believe she wanted him along for such a personal moment. “’Course, luv, want me to ask da and see if he’ll stay to man the kitchen?”

Buffy visibly brightened at the offer, “Sure, if you’re sure he won’t mind.”

“I’m positive he won’t,” he immediately got up and proceeded into the living room to chat with his father. Five minutes later, he was in the car driving the two Summers’ daughters to visit their mother’s grave site on Christmas Day.