Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter in Buffy's POV.
I'm sorry for taking so long to update.
The spell at the end of this is a real spell, most of it any way. The first part can help you find lost objects. Happy reading!
The next few days were uneventful. Well not so much uneventful, more boring. Dawn was getting into the swing of being back to school and there seemed to be a few less vampires to kill. I desperately wanted to tell Willow about my dream about Spike but she was so caught up in a new spell she was researching for the witches coven in England I hardly saw her. Even Kennedy was feeling a little pushed aside. Of course in true Kennedy fashion due to her frustration, she was almost maiming the vampires before she finally finished them off. I think some of them actually begged her to stake them. Xander had been called to LA to work and Andrew was being plain annoying when I actually saw him. I still had a week to go on my holiday from work, so I decided instead of putting up with Andrew’s consistent whining I went to help Giles train the new Slayers. I tried to get Kennedy to come but she refused, crowds of teenage girls weren’t really her thing. I think she was secretly planning on how to distract Willow in any way she could so she could get a bit of attention.

The young Slayers training was going really well and I was quite impressed. I found myself getting more and more involved with them. Anything to keep my mind off Spike. I was strolling home when my mind started to wander. I was trying so hard to focus my energy some where else. Not to think of that dream, that amulet. The amulet!! I should have kept it. Maybe Willow could of….Damn; I have to get it back. A bus came hurdling past me to snap me out of my thoughts. Is that the time? Oh my god I have to get home to Dawn. Maybe I could swing past that mechanic place during patrol tonight. I managed to get home moments before Dawn’s bus got there. I rang Kennedy to see if she was coming out to patrol but she told me she had finally manage to convince Willow they needed some one on one time tonight. I told her that was totally cool, secretly thankful that she couldn’t come. All night I felt nervous, twitchy and on edge. Dawn seemed to notice too.

“You ok?”

“Yes, why wouldn’t I be?” I tried not to sound suspicious.

“You’re pacing. You only do that when you’re on edge.” Crap! Busted.

“Just a bit ansy about going on patrol tonight without Kennedy, it’s been a while is all. Nothing to worry about.” I saw Dawn raise her eyebrow.

“I’m fine!” I looked her straight in the eye, trying to convince her. God, I was trying to convince myself! I saw her squint at me, like she was trying to look though my lies and then she relaxed.

“That’s all it better be or else….”

“Or else what?” I taunted playfully.

“Just or else.” She smiled mischievously. Good old Summer’s charm. I glanced at the clock. Finally! I reached for my jacket and stakes that were on the table.

“You going already?” Dawn sulked.

“Yeah want to get the jump on them early tonight, don’t worry, Giles should be home soon.” I gave her a reassuring smile. “I promise we will sit down and eat ice cream and watch that show you like if I get home early enough ok?” Dawn’s brows seem to furrow for a minute but then relaxed.

“Sounds good.” Just then, the door opened and in came Giles. He looked exhausted. And my cue to leave.

“Gotta go; see you when I get home.” I kissed Dawn on the cheek and breezed past Giles before he could say a word.

“Hi Giles. Bye Giles.” Shutting the door behind me I heard Giles ask.

“Dawn can you put the kettle on, it’s been a very trying day.” Ha ha sucker Dawn!! I could just imagine Giles standing there, taking off his glasses and cleaning them as he said that.

I decided to go straight to the mechanic shop, no use bumbling around. As I approached I could see that the light was on. Thank god. I walked to the door and banged on the steel. Jack opened the door but he didn’t look at all surprised to see me standing there.

“You forget something?” He queried.

“You could say that.” He outstretched his hand to me. He was holding the amulet. I put my hand out to grab it when he stopped me.

“Don’t lose it.” He dropped it in my hand and shut the door.

“What?? Umm, thank you.” I was stunned. He just shut the door on me! What an arse! Talk about rude. I felt like going in there and….and…. Instead I looked down at the amulet. It was the same as I left it. It looked….it looked empty. I shoved it into my pocket and headed to the nearest cemetery. Time to kick some vampire butt.

Time seemed to fly by so fast in fact that I didn’t realise it was almost midnight till I glanced at the town’s clock tower after killing my 10th vamp for the night. As usual there wasn’t many around. I decided to swing past Willow’s to say hey. Kennedy had said something about having a late one. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind if I came over to say hello. After all I hadn’t seen Willow all week and I just felt as though I had to talk to some one. Kennedy would understand. If I could just make sense of that dream of Spike….

“Hey Buffy watch’ca doin?” I almost jumped out of my skin! My eyes shot up.

“Hey Will, what you doing out here?”

“Was coming to see you funny enough, thought you might need some bestie time.” You could say that again.

“That would be great. You house or mine?” Willow’s brow furrowed for a minute, thinking.

“Well…” She drew out. “We could go back to my house if you want. Kennedy is there but she is asleep. I was kinda looking forward to getting out of the house….” So her house is out and I don’t want to go home to mine, too many people there.

“How bout we pop down to that all nighter coffee diner? You know the one near the mall? Should be quiet about this time of night.”

“Sure.” We turned towards the diner and started walking. I realised how much I missed doing this. Just chillin, hanging with my best friend. There just didn’t seem to be time these days. Too many other things to fill the day. The simple things forgotten.

“So Will, what’ca been working on?”

For the rest of the walk to the diner, Willow told me about what she had been working on with the coven. Walking into the diner, her voice stilled and we both took a seat at one of the free booths. No sooner where we seated when a middle aged plump woman wearing a lime green dress with a white belt walked up to us with a note pad and pen.

“What can I get you two girls this evening?” Her accent was thick for the area and I couldn’t help but smile. I noticed that her brown hair was pinned up in a bun and she looked very tired.

“Just two flat white’s thanks.” I answered her. I looked at her name tag. “Doris.” I saw the woman scribble on her notepad.

“Be ready in a few minutes.” With that she walked off back behind the counter.

“Will, I need to tell you something.”

“Hmm?” Her eyes sparked with interest.

“I had a dream….a dream about Spike.” Willow looked at me with scepticism written on her face. I took a deep breath remembering the dream….that wonderful dream.

“I was standing in Sunnydale, or what’s left of Sunnydale anyway and Spike was there, standing in the sunlight….” I gushed out. Willow was still looking at me blankly. I glanced out the window, watching the traffic on the near by road.

“Here you go, two flat white’s.” I heard the cups clunk on the tabletop as the woman put them down. “Just pay as you leave.” I turned back just in time to see Doris place a piece of paper in the middle of the table and walk away. I pulled my cup towards me and after placing two sugars in my coffee I took the spoon and slowly started to stir.

“Will, I want to know what it means.” I dropped the spoon on the table and cupped my cup with my hands. I could feel the warmth of the hot liquid on my hands though the cup. It felt comforting. I looked up at Willow who again looked like she was deep in thought.

“Maybe it means he is at peace.” She said quietly.

“It felt more then that Will, it felt so real. Like a slayer dream. I can’t describe it. But it felt as though he was there, here.” I could feel myself pushing, trying to make her believe what I felt. I saw her look down into her cup and sigh.

“I don’t know what to say Buffy. It’s a dream, it could mean anything.” She looked up at me.

“Anything.”

“I can’t….I don’t….what can I do?” I stammered. Reaching for something, anything. I took a sip of my drink, feeling the hot liquid run down my throat as I swallowed.

“Hold on to it, maybe it might mean something. Tell me if you have another dream. There might be a connection.” She smiled at me warmly. She reached over and placed her hand on mine.

“Don’t get your hopes up though. I don’t want to see you fall again.” I dumbly nodded my head, knowing what she meant. It was no secret I was a mess after Spike died and I knew she didn’t want to see me there again. There was a hushed silence between the two of us for a long moment before I spoke.

“I won’t, I promise.” I smiled at her, trying to reassure her that I was ok. Her smile back told me she believed me.

“Now tell me, how’s Kennedy been?”

The next half an hour consisted of catching up on everything else that had been happening and we managed to drink our coffees without them going cold. Just as we were about to leave an ugly looking two horned demon slandered into the place. He looked pissed too. He walked up to the counter to the waiter who had served us.

“Gimme ya money…NOW!” Doris looked absolutely petrified and almost fell over to reach for the till. Not now did it really have to be now? Ah well they never sleep. I glanced at Willow before I stood up.

“Oi, ugly.” The revolting beast swung around and faced me.

“That’s not really polite…you forgot to use your manners.” He roared at her in anger. Ha, I remember this demon, killed one back in Sunnydale with Spike. Easy as pie. I stepped forward out of the booth.

“Slayer…” He snarled.

“Yay you get the gold star for today!” I ran at him and planted a roundhouse kick to his side and followed though with two punches to the face. Stunned he stumbled back and I seized my chance. Grabbing the stainless steel knife off the bench I kicked him again, this time in the general area of the stomach. The demon roared in anger again and tried to lunge at me but I was ready for him. I stepped to the side and stuck out my foot causing the demon to trip over and fall flat on his face.

“Say goodnight.” I rammed the knife into the back of his head, being careful not to get any of his body fluids on me. I heard the demon gasp and then his head dropped, dead.
I looked up at the stunned waitress and shrugged my shoulders.

“Sorry bout the mess.” I grabbed the demon by the leg and dragged it outside, hiding it behind the large bin before going back inside. When I came back in the woman was still in shock, but Willow was there talking to her, calming her down. When she seen me however she smiled.

“Thank you.” She whispered.

“Hey no prob, it’s what I do.” I went to reach for my wallet. I saw the Doris shake her head.

“Coffee’s on the house luv.”

“Ok, thanks.”

“Feel free to come back anytime.”

After Willow made sure the woman was ok, we decided to go home, taking our separate ways. I walked in the door exhausted from, well everything. Thankfully, the TV was off and I could see a soft glow from Dawn’s bedroom which meant she was in bed. Yay me. I trudged up the stairs and headed straight for my bed. Nothing was gunna keep me from it. I tugged off my clothes and quickly put on my pj’s. I laid down on my pillow and it felt as no sooner then I did, I was asleep.

“How you feeling luv?” Spike purred into my ear. His eyes so soft, so warm, like the sun we were standing in.
“I miss you.”
“I miss you too pet.”
“Why did you have to go?”
“But I didn’t go.” I looked at him, confused. I wanted to ask more questions, I wanted more answers. But he held his finger to my lips oh so softly. His touch was almost electric. He looked deep into my eyes.
“I love you.” He whispered.


I sat up with a start. Damn sun! It was shining in my eyes. I threw the covers off and got out of bed. All seemed quiet…I glanced at the clock. No wonder its 10:30! I cursed myself and headed for the shower. Turning the water on, I slipped out of my clothes and let the water run till it was to my liking and got in. Mmm, that felt good. I slid down to the bottom of the shower. What did it mean? I didn’t go? That just doesn’t make any sense. He looked and felt so warm. What does it mean? What can I do? Is he lost? Agh! So many questions, not enough answers. I gotta research it. Giles will know what to do. I stood up and quickly and washed myself and got out. I got to find out now.

Just as I was about to step out of the house I heard the phone ring. Dashing back inside, I managed to pick up the phone in time.

“Hello?”

“Hey Buffy, its Cythia from work. Was just ringing up to let you know the new roster is up if you wanted to swing by and find out your hours.” Ah crap work.

“Yeah thanks. I will try and call in today some time.” Egh.

“That would be great! Can’t wait to have you back, been missing you.”

“Really? How sweet! Listen, I gotta go, I have a few things I got to get on top of. Might see you later when I call in?”

“For sure! I’m here till close.”

“Great catch you then!” I hung up the phone. Gotta get to Giles. I grabbed my bag and practically flew out the door. I decided it would be quicker to just walk, well run. Within 5 mins I was standing out the front of Giles’ ‘office’ trying to plan out what I could say. Taking a deep breath I pushed open the door. The bell jangled as the door opened. I peered in to see Giles, sitting off to the left at a wooden desk, books piled high and his head buried in a book.

“Hey Giles.” I saw him snap his head up from the text and smile. I stepped inside, letting the door close behind me.

“Buffy.” I walked over to him. “What can I do for you today?”

“I was actually wondering if I could do some research.” Giles arched his brow. I knew what he was thinking, Buffy, research?

“On the amulet that Spike was wearing before the Hellmouth ate itself. I want to see if there is more to it.” Giles was staring at me with interest but also with confusion.

“Buffy, what has brought this on?”

“Nothing.” I answered meekly. “Just want to satisfy an itch is all. Curiosity for knowledge and all that.” He didn’t seem convinced but motioned towards the back of the office.

“The few books I have on things like that are back there.” He looked at me intensely.

“Buffy, don’t get your hopes up.”

“Giles its just research.” I walked down to where Giles had motioned and pulled the books off the shelves. Settling myself in the comfy chair in the second office, I started to read.

Several hours later and I still had come up with nothing, much to my disappointment. Some of the text referred to the amulet of having purifying powers, a cleansing power (possibly scrubbing bubbles Angel had said when he gave it to me) while others referred to the amulet bestowing strength on the right person who wore it, a champion. But this we all knew all ready. Agh! Talk about frustrating. I decided to swing by work, it was getting late. Thankfully Dawn was sleeping over a friend’s tonight so I didn’t have to get home to her. I strolled to the front of the shop; Giles looked as though he hadn’t moved an inch in the whole time I had been there.

“Umm, Giles?”

“Hmm?” He said not looking up.

“I’m gunna go. Work called earlier and I have to go and pick up my roster. See you at home yeah?”

“Yeah, Buffy, sure. See you at home.” The British man shifted in his seat, but never moved his eyes off the book. I shook my head. No doubt he will be here for hours yet. Reading those books, searching for endless knowledge on what he was looking for. Knowing he probably wouldn’t be home for dinner and eating Chinese take out again, I sighed and walked out the door and headed in the direction of work.

Walking in to the clothes shop, I could see Cythia serving a customer, so I took the time to browse around the shop to see what was new. There were some pretty patterned shirts in and a gorgeous plaid skirt that I knew I had to get. I heard the familiar ding of the cash register and I strolled over that way, knowing that the sale was almost though.

“Hey Cythia.” I smiled as the customer walked out the door. Cythia turned around, beaming almost.

“Buffy! How wonderful to see you!” She raced over and gave her a fierce hug. Releasing her she stood back and looked at her.

“You must be here for your roster. Here, it’s all ready to go.” She handed me a piece of paper off the counter.

“Ah thanks.” I folded the piece of paper and put it into my back pocket. Just then, by cell rang. I jumped before I reached into my pocket. It was Willow.

“Ah, I really have to take this. Sorry Cyn. See you soon.” I gave her a small wave before I stroll out of the shop. Pressing accept on my phone, I put the phone to my ear.

“Hey Will, what’cha doing?”

“Hey Buffy, was wondering if I could come over.”

“Is everything ok Will?”

“Yeah yeah. I was actually thinking about what you were telling me about that dream. Plus Giles called to tell me you had been researching the amulet.” Bloody Giles!

“Oh, and he wanted me to tell you he won’t be home tonight.” So why didn’t he just tell me?

“Yeah it’s cool, what time? I was thinking of having takeout anyway.”

“I was actually thinking of heading over soon. Where are you anyway?”

“Just on my way home, had to call into work to get the new roster. Talk about reminding me that my holiday is almost over.” I heard Willow give a little giggle.

“Be over soon ok?”

“Ok.” I hung up and shoved the phone back into my pocket. Time to go home. I took up a brisk pace, deciding to walk rather then run. I got home in plenty of time and even managed to have the Chinese waiting to be eaten before Willow came bursting though the front door. She looked flustered.

“Sorry I’m late.”

“Mmh, figured something was up. What happened?” Willow ran her though her hair before she continued.

“Traffic mostly. Some idiot not looking and ploughed straight into another car. But its ok, I’m fine and I’m here.” She shot me a smile.

“Mmm! Is that Chinese I smell? Yum!” She plonked herself down on the lounge chair next to me.

“Come on, let’s eat. I need to tell you something.” She raised her eyebrow at me as she reached for one of the boxes of food.

“I had another dream about Spike last night.” It came out almost in a whisper, like I was telling a secret. Willow’s mouth formed a small ‘O’ in surprise. I decided to elaborate.

“We were in Sunnydale, like before. Standing in the middle of the rubble. He asked how I was and I told him I missed him. He said he missed me too.” Willow nodded her head, urging me to continue. She was still sitting there with the container in her hand.

“I asked him why he had to go and he said he didn’t. Will, what does that mean?” I saw Willow frown and sit back with the container of food. Opening it slowing she looked deep in thought.

“I don’t know. If I had something that was linked to him maybe I could do a spell…” The amulet! I put my hand in my pocket and drew it out. I hadn’t let it out of my sight since getting it back from Jack.

“Would this help?” Willow stared at the amulet in total shock.

“Where did you get that Buffy? OMG! Where did you get that?” Willow looked totally freaked, like she had seen a ghost. I couldn’t blame her though; it would be like seeing a ghost.

“In short Angel and Wolfram and Hart. But when I got it, it did this cool glowy thing and then it’s been like this ever since.”

“And that is why you were researching the amulet today.” Willow confirmed. I think it was for herself more than anything.

“Yeah and didn’t come up with anything new. It was all the stuff we already knew.” I meekly passed it to her; she seemed reluctant to take it at first.

“Can you see, feel if he is in there Will? Please? Maybe there is something there.” I looked at her pleading for her to give me something, anything. Moving the amulet around in her hand, she looked at it thoughtfully.

“I might be able to do a simple detection spell. You know, to see if he is in here.” Willow held up the amulet by the chain and it spun gently back and forth. I chuckled, getting imagery of Spike sitting inside the amulet’s stone, all curled up.

“Thank you Will. I knew I could rely on you. But lets eat first or this is all gunna be cold.” Willow handed the amulet back to me and I quickly put it back in my pocket. I looked over at Willow, who was already eating out of the container she had in her hands. Smiling I joined her, reaching for the nearest box. We sat, eating in silence. It wasn’t uncomfortable, it was nice. Little did I realise, it was the calm before the storm.

After we had cleaned up, Willow had managed to find the things she needed for the spell in the pantry with little effort. I had learnt from living with Willow that it was always handy to have the simple stuff tucked away in the pantry for emergencies. I watched her carefully lay out everything on the coffee table. She could be so matriculate sometimes.

“Buffy, I need the amulet.” Fumbling, I pulled the amulet out of my pocket. I held it in my hands and studied it closely, looking into it one last time. Sighing, I handed it to Willow. I watched her place it in the centre of the things on the table before she begun.

I watched on as Willow opened the circle and thanked the gods for guiding her. She did this quickly and effortlessly. Suddenly she started chanting.

Keeper of what disappears,
Hear me now -- open your ears.
Find for me what I now seek,
By Moon, Sun, Earth, Air, Fire and Sea.

Help me see, help me hear.
Help me see inside this object now.


I watched on as Willow concentrated on the amulet, holding my breath without even realizing it. I heard her then thank the gods and close the circle before I finally exhaled.

“Blessed be.” Willow whispered as she blew out the candle. I could feel my stomach churning with anticipation, wanting to know what she had discovered. She finally turned to me with a grim expression on her face.

“Buffy, I think you should sit down.” She said in a quiet voice. This didn’t sound good at all. I found the nearest chair. Sitting on the edge I waited for my friend to continue.

“Buffy, I’m sorry but he’s not there.”