Author's Chapter Notes:
This Chapter if you don't notice is from Spikes POV. Please let me know what you think, happy reading!
The Journey
(Chapter 2)

One minute I was floating in nothingness, actually feeling bloodily good about what I had achieved and then, suddenly, I felt myself being put back together, particle by particle, piece by piece, until I stood in the very place I had been dusted in. Yeah I was back in Sunnydale, the Hell mouth, or what was left of it. I looked around, not knowing quite how I had gotten there. Nothing was where I remembered it. Nothing was anywhere in fact. I was standing in the middle of a crater with nothing but rubble around me. I smiled. I really did take this place down with me. I knew that Buffy had gotten out, her, the Niblet and the rest of them. They were safe, not living too far away in fact. That I knew for sure. Why I knew this information I didn’t know for certain. Damn, it was getting hot. I looked up. The sun…..Oh bloodily hell! The sun! I looked around for something, anything to hide under but there was nothing. Then I realised something. I wasn’t burning, in fact I was lightly sweating. That was something you did if you were human, not a vampire. I put my hand to my chest. Boom boom, boom boom. Oh bollocks! This had to be some kind of mistake, a glitch maybe. I knew who would have the answers for me. Angel. So I started off in the direction of LA, hoping that he would have the answers I seeked.

It took me till the sun was low on the horizon to get to the edge of the crater. Of course it wouldn’t of taken me that long if I hadn’t stumbled apon the rubble of the old Revello Drive residence. All that existed of the place was the upper floor not that it was in the best shape. I stepped into the window that uses to be Buffy’s room. Sleeping bags and pillows were scattered through the room. But that wasn’t the worst of it. The walls had cracks in them that you could see out of, everything smelled damp and dirty. I walked over to the chest of drawers and opened the top one. There was an assortment of underwear and socks and a book. I reached in and retrieved it and opened the front cover. It was a photo album and it had everyone in it I realised. Pictures of Peaches (shudder) and Oz and oh look at that even one of Captain Cardboard. There were a ton of pics of the witch and builder boy and of the Niblet. And were pictures of their mom too. I knew none of them even had a chance to grab anything before the whole of this place came crumbling down. I should take this and give it to her and maybe some of the Niblet’s stuff too. I pulled open the closet and pulled out one of Buffy’s bags. It was brown leather, soft like a basket ball bag. I undone the zipper and shoved the photo album inside and then dumped the bag on Buffy’s bed. Hmmm, I wonder what else is here that I could grab. I walked out the door and into the hall. I walked up to Dawn’s door but it was closed. Always modest the Niblet was. I turned the handle and tried to open the door. It was jammed. I decided to shove the door with my shoulder. That was effective. The door swung open to expose the room. Leaves and personal belongings littered the floor. It was truly an awful sight. Her diary’s were scattered all over the floor, most of them water damaged. Bugger. There goes that idea. The side of the doona of the bed was flicked up. I grabbed it and yanked it off. I could see a small box not much bigger then a shoe box. I grabbed it and took a peek inside.

Inside there was things of everybody that the Bit had ever been close to. I could see there were earrings of Tara’s that she loved and a picture of herself with Tara. There was stuff in there of her mother and Buffy as well and there was my BLOODY zippo!! I wondered where that had got to after I came back from getting my soul. I shut the lid and smiled. Let the Bit have it. I don’t need it anymore. I grabbed a few clothes that I knew Dawnie loved and went back to Buffy’s room. I decided to grab the brown and black leather jackets of Buffy’s as well. I shoved everything in the bag and zipped it up.

“Goodbye Sunnydale.” I grabbed the bag and started my way to the edge of the crater.

I was never more thankful then I was when I reached the edge of that crater. It was starting to get dark as I walked up the road. I had noticed, with some glee that the famous ‘Welcome to Sunnydale’ sign had fallen. Then I saw it. There was Peaches, standing there next to a beautiful black Cadillac.

“Took you long enough Spike. Thought you would have been here ages ago.”

“I took a bloody pit stop ok. Anyway how did you know I was here?”

“The Powers That Be told me. Now get in the car.” It wasn’t a request I decided. I walked around to the passenger side door, opened the door and got in. I heard Peaches slump into the driver’s seat. I settled the bag between my legs.

“Now be a good boy and put your seatbelt on.” The bastard was mocking me!! I obeyed his request however, a little frightened of what could happen if we crashed now I was human and all. I heard Peaches click in his seatbelt too before he let the engine roared to life. We didn’t exchange any words back to L.A. Just sat in silence. I watched all the scenery fly by the window as if I was in some dream. All too soon I felt the car jerk to a stop and I felt by body slam against the restraint of the seat belt.

“Bloody Hell!! Would u…” I looked up not realising that we were parked in a garage.

“Come on, time to come and meet the team.” Peaches voice seemed to be soft. He opened the door and stepped out of the car. I followed his lead, grabbing Buffy’s bag and then shut the door.

“This way.” Angel motioned towards a door that was not too far from where the car was parked. As we got closer I realised that it was in fact an elevator. The door opened and Angel gestured me to step inside. To be honest I didn’t want to but I did anyway. My bloody heart was pounding a million miles an hour and I could hear my breath getting shorter and shorter. I always had a bad thing with small spaces. I know its ironic since I am a vampire, well was a vampire but still. I heard the elevator ding and the doors slid open. I couldn’t move out it fast enough. I was gripping the bag so tightly my knuckles had gone white.

“Next time I will take the stairs.” I murmured.

“Enjoy the 20 story walk.” Angel replied.

“Bullocks.” I cursed. Angel walked towards the front desk. I didn’t move. I was in awe of the floor I was on. Wolfram and Hart. So this is it. Nice, well decorated. Looked evil.

“Spike.” I heard Angel’s impatient voice penetrate my thoughts. I looked up at him, not sure of what I should do.

“You coming?” I shrugged my shoulders and followed him into the doorway he had entered. It was a very spacious office area. I could see that it was nicely furnished and I saw that Peaches had a beautiful assortment of weapons behind the huge oak desk at the far end of the office. Nice.

“Please take a seat.” Angel gestured towards the lounge chairs nearest to the door. I obliged, sinking into the closest one, enjoying the feel of the soft suede. I heard Angel pick up the phone.

“Harmony, send them in.” Oh bullocks! Not Harmony! That is the last bloody person I wanted to see.

“Righty-O boss.” Her voice rang over the phone speaker like one of those mega-phones. Angel hung up the phone and started to drum his fingers on the seat. Then, the doors burst open and two men, a woman and a green demon thing walked though.

“You called for us Angel-cakes?” The green demon asked. Angel stood. I felt the four of them staring at me. Hey wasn’t that a watcher? Egh what’s his name?

“Yeah everyone this is…”

“…Spike, or William the Bloody as he was most commonly known back in the day. Yes I know who he is Angel. Why is he here?” The watcher spoke, looking at me with hatred in his eyes. Hey I’ve changed you know! Saved the world and all!

“Wesley.” Angel seemed to scold the man with his eyes. He backed down however, and for that I was grateful. I was in no mood to argue.

“This is Spike?” The woman asked. She looked at me with interest.

“Yeas as I was saying this is Spike. Spike meet Fred, Gunn, Lorne and you already know Wesley I gather.” Nice. Angel’s super team. Lucky me.

“So where is whats-her-face….Cordelia?” I noticed all the faces sink to frowns.

“Cordelia is in a coma. She’s in a special Wolfram and Hart hospital.” The young woman known to me now as Fred smiled at me. It seemed to be concerned and worried but warm and inviting at the same time. There was an awkward silence. I could hear Peaches strumming his fingers on his desk again. It was getting really annoying.

“Fred, I want you to take Spike to the lab and test everything.”

“Everything?”

“Yes, everything that can be medically done I want a result for it. Call me when you’re done. The rest of you get back on the case of that young woman.” The gang went to leave.

“Lorne?”

“Yes?”

“I will need you to read Spike later. Can I get you to do it after Fred has finished testing him?” The demon smiled.

“Sure thing Angel-cakes. I got to go down to a source downtown for some information first though.”

“Fine fine.” The demon left the room, leaving the door slightly ajar.

“You coming?” I looked up to see Fred standing right in front of me.

“Um, yeah sure.” I shook my head and stood. I glanced over at Angel who had turned to face the window. He looked as though he was deep in thought about something.

“This way Spike.” I heard Fred call, she was standing in front of the door. I bent down and picked up my bag and followed her out the door. As I walked out I glanced over at the reception desk. No one there. Good, I can face her later. I followed Fred up the stairs and through a number of corridors, it seemed to go on forever. Finally I could see the door to the lab. We stepped inside and Fred turned to me and smiled.

“Welcome to my home away from home.” She giggled nervously. She walked over to a nearby table and picked up a clipboard which she started to examine. I let my eyes scan the facility. It seemed as though I was in another world. Science equipment and scientists everywhere I looked.

“Whoh.” I sighed under my breath. A man that looked in his mid twenties walked up beside Fred. He was holding a clipboard tightly in one hand and was breathing kind of shallow. Light beads of sweat dotted his forehead. Oh bollocks, I wonder if the poor girl knew, or even noticed for that matter. This guy has the serious gee-jones for her.

“Hel….hello Fred.” The man stuttered out. Fred spun around on her heels to face the man.

“OH! Knocks. You startled me!” Fred’s hand flew to her chest.

“Sorry…sorry. I have the results for….”

”Oh Knocks not now. We have a guest.” Fred retorted at him. The man named Knocks looked at Fred a bit startled. I saw him glance at me as if seeing me for the first time.

“Hi.” He smiled politely. I smiled back and glanced around the room again.

“So…where do I sit?” I asked Fred. I would do anything to get out of this awkward situation.

“What? Um…right over here. Knocks can you get onto … whatever you can find to do.” Fred guided me up a flight of stairs and into a room that was filled with a desk, chair and shelves filled with books and scientific equipment.

“Welcome to my office.” She smiled.

“Cosy.” I wasn’t in the mood for chit-chat. I wanted to know why Angel had sent me with this science-nerd. What tests he wanted me to have. She must have sensed of my discomfort.

“Spike, just take a seat and I will just grab the things I need to do…test you…back in a minute.” She hurried out the door, letting it close behind her with a soft thud. Great. I’m about to be poked and prodded. Why did I come here? Just then I remembered that I was still holding onto Buffy’s bag. I lifted it up and placed it on the desk. I gently unzipped the zip on top and peered inside. Everything was still there, just the way I packed it. I ran my hand over Buffy’s black leather jacket, remembering how she looked in it. Suddenly the door slammed shut. I whirled around, instinctively grabbing the bag as I did so. It was Fred. She was standing in the doorway with a tray filled with an assortment of medical supplies.

“Oh its you.” I turned back around and placed the bag back on the table.

“I didn’t mean to startle you. I have everything that I need to complete the first set of tests.”

“Right…lucky me.” I zipped up the bag and turned to face her.

“Can we get started.” I realised it came out more of a demand then a question. I finally slumped down into the chair. I saw Fred inhale deeply before she walked over to me and placed the tray on the table.

“Ok. Just tell me if it gets too much and we will stop ok?”

“Just get on with it.”

I spent the rest of the day in Fred’s office only leaving to use the bathroom. (It felt strange to be using a toilet again after all this time.) and to have a bite to eat and a drink. By the time Fred told me that we were going back down to Angel’s office, the sun was setting. I was so exhausted from all the testing that Fred had done I didn’t even see Harmony until it was too late. Bugger.

“Spikey is that you? Oh my God! SPIKE!!” She ran out from behind her desk and straight towards me. I held my hands up to shield myself from her impact. However, it never came. I lowered my arms and peered over them. Harmony had stopped about a metre in front of me, her face filled with disgust.

“Egh! You smell like her…and…and how revolting! I knew it!” She spun on her heels and stormed back to her desk. Just then I realised what had saved me. Buffy’s bag. Thank god. I quickly caught up to Fred who was just walking into Angel’s office. He was sitting at his desk as if he was expecting us.

“Everything is normal Boss. No mystical, magicial or black arts involved.” Angel seemed indifferent to this information. He reached to his phone.

“Harmony…page Lorne. Tell him I need to see him now.” Oh hell no! Not bloody more tests.

“Umm Angel, sorry to bust your bubble and all but I’m really not in the mood for a coom-bye-arh right now.” I actually felt tired. Getting use to this being human thing again was hard.

“Is there somewhere I can lay down and….” I felt my mouth open and I felt myself yawn. I slumped down into the nearest chair.

“Angel, he’s tired…let him get some sleep.” Fred coached.

”Right…fine…” Angel pressed a button on the telephone.

“Harmony…” No answer.

“HARMONY!!”

“Yes boss.” Her voice came across as a high pitched squeal.

“Arrange a room for Spike.”

“Okey-dokey boss.” Just then, Lorne came strolling into the office.

“What is it Angel-cakes? Harm said it was urgent…Whoh Spike honey you are in desperate calling of a visit to sleepy-land.” Yeah and didn’t I know it!

“Well, I was going to get you to read Spike but since he wants to go to sleep….” I saw him glance at me before he continued.

“….I’ll get you to do it when he wakes up.” Just then, the telephone rang. Angel picked up the receiver.

“Thank you…mmmh….yes….I’ll send him up now…no that is all….you too.” He hung up the receiver.

“Spike your room is ready…Fred could you take him there?” I saw her smile at him.

“Sure.” She motioned to me to follow her. As I walked out of the office I brought Buffy’s bag close up to my chest. Soon I will join you. Soon I will feel your warmth again. Fred pressed the button to the elevator.

“There must be something very precious in that bag for you to be holding onto it the way you do.” I said nothing. Thankfully the doors soon opened and we both stepped in. I saw her press a number on the panel and the doors slid close. I let my body rest on the side of the elevator, letting my head hit the wall. I closed my eyes and listened to the motors whirl as we were lifted higher and higher. The elevator soon halted to a stop, and I snapped my eyes open. The doors slid effortlessly open and Fred stepped out onto the floor. I quickly scurried after her, almost tripping on the elevator.

“This way.” Fred walked off down the corridor, leaving me no choice but to follow her. After what seemed endless doors and corners, she stopped in front of a door. She tapped on the door twice, then twice again. The door opened to reveal an entrance area.

“Angel said that you should be comfortable in here. There is food in the fridge and hot water, oh and clean towels. There are even clothes in the closet. I’ll be back at 7am to escort you downstairs so you don’t get lost. The alarm is set to go off at 6:30am so you can get ready.” She moved away from the doorway, motioning me to walk in. I stepped in past the door and let my eyes wander over where I was to be staying.

“Bloodly hell.” I muttered. I felt like I had walked into a castle of some sort. The walls were a light marble colour and all the furniture was other a rich red or white. The curtains were drawn but I could see that it was still dark outside. I heard the door softly click close and finally I knew I was alone. I walked into the ‘apartment’ and placed the bag on the kitchen bench. The bed I noticed was located near the bathroom. Yeah a shower sounded good. I stripped off my jacket and placed it over Buffy’s bag. I kicked off my boots and pulled off the rest of my clothes and left them in a pile near the bench. I walked into the bathroom and was impressed by the size of the actual shower. Peaches really did have good taste when he wanted to. I turned the taps on and stepped under the inviting warm water, letting it sliver down my body. I put my head under the steady stream of water, feeling the water wetting my scalp. I reached towards the soap dish and picked up the soap, lathering and rinsing myself clean. Finally turning the shower off, I grabbed a towel. Giving myself a quick dry, I decided that I didn’t need clothes to sleep in and slumped onto the inviting bed. It was the last thing I remember.