Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for reading-thanks bunches for reviewing.
Spike followed Willow into the kitchen and stood off to the side watching while she surveyed the contents of the pantry and the fridge. She turned back to him still holding open the refrigerator door.

“What do ya think? Tuna, turkey…”

He shrugged. Food tasted different to humans. He wasn’t all that sure which he’d prefer. He gave her a sheepish look. “I like grilled cheese.”

Willow smiled. “Grilled cheese is definitely doable, ooh and…” she shut the refrigerator and went back to the pantry. After a few seconds of rummaging she turned back to him, holding up a can triumphantly. “Tomato soup. Can’t really have grilled cheese without tomato soup right?”

He gave another shrug and Willow noted how much quieter he seemed now. Used to be you couldn’t get him to stop talking, she thought and wondered what else was different about him now that he was human. He still looked the same and sounded the same. He definitely still looked at Buffy the same way. Of course, she thought, getting his soul back hadn’t made him seem all that different either, just sadder and maybe a bit less confident. She shook off the thoughts and held out the can to him. “You make the soup and I’ll do the sandwiches.”

Spike took the can from her hand and set about finding the can opener and a pot to warm it in. They worked in companionable silence for a few moments and were soon sitting at the table dipping their crusts into warm soup.
Willow watched him for a moment and giggled.

“What?” Spike looked down at himself and that back at her quizzically.

“It’s just you with the mug of steamy red liquid…kinda like old times only you know without the death threat part.”
Willow cringed inwardly when she heard herself. She was hoping to get him talking and inappropriate jokes were probably not helpful.

Spike’s expression was unreadable for a moment. He raised an eyebrow. “That’s just ‘cause you didn’t burn the sandwiches.” He gave her a faux menacing glance, laughed softly and shook his head. “I'm sorry about that you know…the whole trying to kill…I’m not the same man, I…”

Willow cut him off. “I know. You don’t need to explain.” she shook her head “it’s done.”

He gave her a small smile and a grateful nod. How do you apologize for trying to kill someone? Sorry seemed pretty pointless.

They were almost done with lunch, Willow realized. She decided that she’d better just jump in. “That seemed like quite a doozey…your dream that is.”

He nodded and looked away.

She sighed. “I’m not trying to pry…or I am I guess…I’m just wondering if it’s connected to the whole claim thingy. Dreams are usually more important than we think they are, like a lot of beings talk through dreams and sometimes we tell ourselves things that we didn’t even realize that we already knew, and …”

He cut off her rambling. “Had them before, but they’re different know.”

“Worse?”

“Sometimes…but mostly just different and more often.” He sighed. “It’s like they’re not mine.”

“Not your dreams.”

He nodded. “Yeah. Like I’m reliving someone else’s worst moments. Final moments”

Willow looked thoughtful for a moment. “Whose?”

“Changes.” He focused his eyes on the table. “Sometimes I’m the one from China, or Dana, or …her, her …sometimes…” He looked at her straight on. “I think they’re all slayers.”

Willow nodded. “You’re dreaming that you’re a slayer.”

“Yeah. Usually one getting’ herself killed by some baddie.” He shook his head.

Willow nodded again and bit her lip.

Spike tilted his head to the side and leaned towards her slightly. “Do you think it’s connected? ”

“Maybe. I should look into a few things okay.”

He leaned back and nodded.

“Have you talked about them with Buffy?”

“Not really. She knows I sometimes have …she doesn’t know the slayer part. I just don’t want her getting worried or…” He sighed.

“I know, but you should talk to her. She’d want to know and she wouldn’t like to think that you’re keeping stuff from her; she kinda has some trust issues;”

Spike winced at Willow’s unknowing reminder of the afternoon he had finally felt like a monster. Her voice still rang in his ears. I could never trust you enough… Ask me again why I could never love you. He tried to hold off the shudder and answered quietly. “I know.” Because I’m the reason she has them, he added to himself.

***********************************************************

Buffy climbed out of the cab and headed for the front door grumbling as each step made a sloppy sloshing sound.

“Supernatural grace my ass” She muttered as Giles paid and tipped the driver handsomely.

He tried not to laugh at his swamp-covered chosen one, but he couldn’t quite hide a small grin. He followed her into the townhouse and watched as Willow and Spike took in the muddy and dripping slayer.

Willow stood up. “Was there a demon?”

“Are you hurt?” Spike’s eyes quickly slid up and down her body searching for signs of injury.

Buffy brushed off their concerns with a brisk “I’m fine” and headed towards the stairs.

“Is it still out there?”

Buffy grumbled.

“What? Buffy?” Willow looked at her with a confused expression.

Buffy sighed and gave her a long suffering glare. “It wasn’t a demon. Everything’s fine and I would like a shower ok?” She headed up the stairs.

“Then how…what was it?” Willow turned to Giles.

“I believe the villain was a …squirrel.” He took in the expressions on Willow and Spike’s faces and laughed. “Buffy was up on the roof of a crypt when she heard something watching her. Naturally she attempted to investigate by climbing onto a nearby tree. The branch gave out and Buffy unfortunately fell into the swamp.”

Spike nodded. “That would explain the smell.”

Willow giggled. “I am so telling Buffy you said that.”

He paled. “You wouldn’t.”

She did her best impression of an evil glare.

He smirked. “Do it and you’re translatin’ that relocation spell on you own. Hope you’re good with tenses; it’d be a shame to screw that up and relocate in pieces.”

Willow frowned. “You already said that you’d help with that. You can’t just take it back.” She’d been thrilled to discover that Spike knew Ancient Greek, as hers was even worse than her Latin. It turned out that Spike had been seriously holding out on her over the years; he spoke at least seven languages.

“Guess I’m still a bit evil then.” He waggled an eyebrow at her.

Willow shook her head and laughed.

Spike glanced up the stairs and then back at her. “I’d better make sure she isn’t more hurt then she’s lettin’ on.” Ignoring Willow’s laugh he bounded up the stairs.

Giles rolled his eyes. It would seem, he thought, that Spike has now charmed himself into Willow’s good graces. He watched as the still grinning woman settled back onto the couch with her book and sighed. He knew defeat when he saw it.