Author's Chapter Notes:
All right- I've got another quick update for you all and...it's extra long. Surely that earns me some reviews...right?
Anyway, from the comments that I've read, I think this chapter will come as a surprise. Enjoy! (I hope!)
They both fell asleep. Buffy woke to a screen of static and a persistent ringing. The phone, she realized groggily. She stretched across the bed to answer. “Hello? Oh hi mom. Sorry. Yeah I guess I must have dozed off, it took me a minute to realize the phone was ringing…Umm Hmm…yeah William’s fine. He’s here. Yup. Yeah I still have it. Ok… Mom… alright… love you too. Bye.”

William woke up to find Buffy lying across his lap and talking on the phone. He blinked and reached up to run a hand through his hair as he listened to her finish. She was talking with her mom; he realized quickly and couldn’t help but feel guilty about the rather graphic dream he’d been having. He looked down at the rather tempting view of her shapely bottom she was currently providing him with and laughed. That’s it, he thought, its official; she’s trying to kill me.

Buffy hung the phone back up on its base and wiggled back into her spot. “My mom.”

“I figured.”

Buffy looked at the TV screen. “I guess I was tired too.”

William smiled. “You did fall asleep rather quickly.”

Her mouth formed a small circle. “I fell asleep first.”

He nodded and grinned. “Don’t worry the snoring was very lady-like.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “I…I…” She stopped when he started laughing. “You’re messing with me aren’t you?”

“Perhaps a little bit.”

“Unh” She quickly grabbed up a pillow and smacked him with it. “You are arghh.”

“Resorting to violence I see.” William smirked.

“No.” Buffy gave him another half-hearted swat.

William looked at his watch and frowned considering.

Putting the pillow down, Buffy caught his look. “Hey, do you wanna go check on your mom before dinner?”

He looked up surprised. “You wouldn’t mind?”

“Of course not; we’ll go say hi so you can stop worrying and then we can pick up a pizza on the way home. ‘Kay?”

“You’re going to come with me to the hospital?”

Buffy frowned. “You don’t want me to?”

“That’s not…I just don’t want you to feel like you have to…I mean I can go on my own; you don’t need to…”

She shook her head. “Nope; you’re not getting rid of me.” She reached over and took his hand. “I told you…not alone.”
*********************************************************

Buffy smiled as she entered the hospital room. “Hi, how are you feeling?”

Anne looked up, surprise clear on her face. “I’m fine, a little sore but…” She shook her head. “What are you two doing here? It’s a Saturday evening; you two should be out having fun.”

William bent to give his mother a kiss on her cheek. “What could be more fun than visiting you?” He gave her a wink.

Buffy smiled as her stomach tumbled. For the hundredth time she wondered how it could possibly have taken her so long to realize that she was falling for William. Watching him with his mother only served to drive home how great he was. She still couldn’t tell if he was interested though. She had considered making a move earlier, but she was quite sure that if he told her that he didn’t feel the same way it would break her heart. Sometimes, she thought, ignorance was bliss. Or at least it let her keep the fantasy safe.

Buffy excused herself a few minutes later. “I’ll give you guys some privacy. I’m going to go grab a soda.”

Anne nodded. “Thank you dear, but don’t be long. I don’t want you guys wasting your whole evening in this place.”

Buffy gave her a quick nod and William a quick smile before ducking out. She took a leisurely pace and detoured over to poke around the gift shop before heading to the cafeteria. Once there she picked up a soda for herself and one for William and then started back.

As she turned the corner to head down the hall to Anne’s room, she froze. William was outside talking with a girl, a really pretty dark haired girl. She frowned; the girl was standing very close and he was laughing. Buffy felt the blood drain from her face; did he know this girl, she wondered. More importantly, she thought, does he like her. The girl in question was moving closer and still talking animatedly. She twirled her hair flirtatiously and Buffy felt sick to her stomach.

Deciding that she couldn’t watch anymore, Buffy ducked back around the corner. She leaned her back against the wall for a moment as she tried to decide what to do. She was just starting to head back towards the cafeteria when she heard him yell.

“Bloody hell woman. Get off me!”

Buffy came around the corner just in time to see William give the girl a firm shove. He was wide-eyed with shook.

The dark-haired girl laughed. “Come on then. I just wanted a peek.”

Buffy watched in shock as the girl pounced towards William and boldly reached for his belt.

William grabbed the girl’s hands and pushed her away hard. “Well you bloody well can’t have one!” His mind was reeling. The girl was clearly insane. At first he’d thought that she was just odd. Hell, he thought, he’d even found her unusual ramblings kind of charming. He was no longer amused.

The girl wasn’t either. William had pushed her hard enough to knock her down that time and when she got back up there was an almost predatory look in her eyes. She quickly reached out and scratched her nails across his cheek, leaving three thin lines of blood. “Bad dog!” she yelled.

Buffy ran to William’s side just as a nurse and an orderly hurried around the corner. They immediately ran to the girl and tried to restrain her.

“Drusilla, what are you doing here? You know you’re not supposed to leave your room.” The nurse questioned the girl with a forced calmness.

“But he called to me. He belongs with me. We’ll dance with the fish in the dark night sky.” Drusilla turned and glared at Buffy.

The nurse gave William a quick glance. “Do you know Drusilla?”

He shook his head frantically. “Never saw her before in my life. Rather hope I don’t see her again as well.” He gave the nurse a bewildered look. “She…she was just talking to me and then…then” he lowered his voice to a stern whisper “she stuck her hand down my…my pants.”

Buffy tightened her hold on William’s arm and looked up at him in shock.

The nurse sighed as the orderly led Drusilla away. “I’m very sorry sir. I’ll see to it that she is supervised from now on. She hasn’t…we haven’t seen any violence from her before.” She pointed to his cheek. “Why don’t you come with me and I can clean up your face?”

William put a hand up to his cheek and touched the angry scratches. Pulling his fingers away he was surprised to see blood. He looked back the nurse slowly. “Thank you, but I can clean it at home. It’s fine.”

Buffy nodded; eager to leave the hospital. “I’ll clean them; we have a good first aid kit.”

The nurse nodded, she was just glad that the young man didn’t seem intent on pressing charges.
******************************************************************

“I can’t believe she did this.” Buffy exclaimed shaking her head. She poured some hydrogen peroxide onto a piece of gauze and dabbed it across William’s cheek.

“I can do that myself pet.” He reached for the gauze but Buffy swatted his hand away.

“Almost done.” She looked down and began rummaging through the box of medical supplies. “Aha!” She held up a small tube of cream. “Neosporin so that you don’t end up with any scars.”

William’s eyebrows came together. He stood up and gave his face a good glance in the mirror. “I don’t know. A scar might make me look more… manly or something.”

Buffy frowned. “You don’t need to look any more manly. Come here.”

He sat back down obediently and let her rub the ointment across the scratches.

“There all set.”

William gave her a shy smile. “Thank you.”

“No problem.” She grinned. “Pizza?”

His stomach growled in response.

Buffy giggled. “Gonna take that as a yes.”
************************************************************************
An hour later, William was wrapping up the leftovers and placing them in the refrigerator.

Buffy watched him and smiled. She liked how comfortable he’d gotten at her house and was sad that he’d probably be going home soon. This, she thought quickly, didn’t mean she wasn’t thrilled that his mom was doing well enough to go home. She just knew that she’d miss having him around all the time. “I’m thinking hot cocoa. You?”

He nodded. “Do you make it like your mom does?”

“Better.” Buffy grinned as she began to collect the ingredients.

William shook his head. “Not possible.”

She pouted. “Well if you think that maybe you should just wait until she comes back to have yours.”

The pout was driving him insane. He starred at her jutting bottom lip. Bloody adorable, he thought with a shake of his head. He gave her a smirk. “I’m sure the chocolate you make will be adequate.”

Buffy’s jaw dropped. She gaped at him for a moment. “Adequate?”

His lips twitched as he tried to look at her with a straight face. He nodded. “Yes.”

“Arghh.” Buffy reached into the bag of marshmallows that she’d pulled out just for him and grasped a handful. She tossed them at him and laughed as they bounced of his rather shocked face.

“Well now that’s hardly…”

She threw another.

“That’s certainly enough.”

Buffy giggled. “You think?” She threw another.

“Buffy!”

She threw another while giggling hysterically.

“Oh well that’s it. You’re going get it now.” William came towards her with a devilish glint in his eyes.

She squealed and tossed another marshmallow at his head before running from the kitchen.

He stalked after her, followed her up the stairs and then hid behind her bedroom door.

When she hadn’t seen or heard him for a moment, Buffy came out.

She squeaked as he jumped put from behind the door and grabbed her. He picked her up, carried her a few steps and tossed her on the bed. She didn’t even have a chance to voice her surprise before he joined her. He grabbed her arms and pinned her to the bed. He grinned down at her and her heart began to race.

“I…you win…you win.” She whispered breathlessly.

“Is that so?”

She nodded slowly, her eyes never leaving his.

“And what do I win exactly?”

Buffy swallowed hard. “Anything. Anything you want.” She gasped, forcing herself to keep her eyes focused on his.

William’s eyes widened slightly. He laughed and shook his head. “You ought to be more careful pet; plenty of blokes would get the wrong idea when you say that.” He pushed up and off of the bed and headed towards the door.

Buffy got up too. Now or never, she thought. “Maybe they would have the right idea.”

William froze in the doorway. He turned silently and slowly to look at her.

She gasped at his dark expression.

“That right?” He questioned quietly.

She bit her lip. She couldn’t read him. He looked cold, possibly angry but there was something else there too. Buffy knew she couldn’t stop now. She nodded.

“And Angel?”

She frowned and shook her head.

“Your boyfriend; he doesn’t have anything to say?”

“Not my boyfriend. We…we broke up.”

William was stunned. He starred at her for a moment before walking towards her. He cornered her, placing one hand against the wall behind her and using the other to grasp her chin. “Who?”

She frowned.

“Who ended it pet?”

“I…I did.”

William nodded slowly. He moved his hand to caress the side of her face. “And do you have a replacement all picked out?” He leaned in close so she felt his warm, moist breathe against her ear when he whispered. “Or do I get to audition for the part?”

He didn’t wait for her response. He didn’t look up to see her surprise. William leaned in and claimed her lips with his own.