Author's Chapter Notes:
Hehehe-I love how you guys react when I give you a little cliffhanger. Thanks so much-your reviews make my day!
There were plenty of reasons that Buffy could be talking to Angel; some part of William’s mind knew this. But a much larger part of his brain went into an immediate panic. She’s going to leave me, he thought while the blood drained from his face. He wondered when she had changed her mind, if she had been pretending to enjoy their night together but had really been disappointed. He tried to stay calm, to wait until he had a chance to talk with her but watching her talk to her ex, all he could think about was her saying that she wanted to keep their relationship a secret. He wondered now if she had just been putting off telling him that she didn’t want him after all. He turned slowly and started heading back towards the library.

Buffy smiled at Angel, surprised at how well he had taken the news that she was now seeing William. She’d been worried about telling him given his earlier words, but felt that he deserved to hear it from her.

“I don’t think he’s good enough for you, but I hope…I hope that he makes you happy.”

She felt her eyes tear up a little. “Thanks Angel, he…he does.”

“All right, but if he ever gets out of line and you want me to beat him up…” He trailed off and grinned.

Buffy shook her head and laughed softly. “No thanks.”

“But you know that I could right…really I could take him no contest.”

She shook her head again. “Stop while I still appreciate the sentiment.”

Angel nodded, still grinning devilishly.

“I hope you find someone who makes you happy too. I…I really am sorry that I hurt you.”

“I know Buff,” he shrugged; “I think I knew, deep down, that it was coming for a while now.”

Not knowing what to say in response, Buffy nodded and looked off to the side. She spotted William walking away and frowned slightly. “Um Angel…I gotta…”

“Go on. I’ll see you around.”

Buffy gave him a quick smile before jogging off in William’s direction. “William!” She called out as she ran over.

William heard her calling and took a deep breath before slowly turning to see her running towards him. His eyes widened when she took a running leap and wrapped her legs around his waist. He took a few steps backwards and spread his legs slightly to maintain balance as she kissed him hard on the lips.

“You were heading in the wrong direction.” She said with an impish smirk.

“You…you looked busy.”

“Not too busy for you.”

He gave her a quizzical look. “Thought you wanted to keep this all quiet pet.”

“That was a stupid plan.”

“It was?”

“Yep. For one thing it’s not like I can keep my hands off you.”

William could feel the tension and panic rushing out of his body. “Is that so?”

She kissed him again. “Clearly. Also, I …I think it made you feel like I’m not totally proud to be your girl, which is really wrong ‘cause I am…totally proud.”

He gave her a bright smile. “Thank you luv, I needed that.”

Buffy giggled. “Well I need a shower and then I’ll be ready to head home. How about you?”

“I’m ready now.” He gave her a little smirk. “Maybe you should shower at home; I’ll even help.”

“Oh you will, will you?”

“I plan to take my responsibilities as your boyfriend very seriously.”

“And that includes shower assistance?”

“Oh yes.”

She giggled again as she loosened the hold her legs had around his waist and jumped down to stand next to him. “Let me just grab my bag and we can head.”

*****************************************************************

She insisted on showering alone despite William’s almost irresistible pout. Yesterday, everything had just sort of happened, tonight she wanted to take a moment to prepare a little. She wanted to do all the girl stuff: shave, moisturize, blow dry her hair. She wanted to put on something pretty and maybe even light some candles. William is a romantic, she thought with a dreamy smile; he deserves an evening with all the trappings.


“I will….I’ll see you tomorrow…yes… I love you, Mum.” William hung up the phone and shook his head. Once he’d given his mother a call, he’d been unable to resist sharing his news. Or at least parts of it; there are some things you don’t share with your Mum no matter how close you are, he thought with a grin. In truth, she’d basically figured it out herself. She’d heard the happiness in his voice and exclaimed delightedly that “something happened with Buffy”. He hadn’t bothered trying to evade her questioning and instead had shared that he was indeed thrilled to report that Buffy was now really his girl.

Still hearing the water running in the shower he’d been denied entry into, William picked up his guitar and began strumming quietly. As usual he quickly lost himself in the music and was startled by Buffy’s knock sometime later.

Looking up, William took in Buffy’s pale pink silk camisole and the matching bottoms.

She blushed under his gaze. “I just realized that I don’t actually own any lingerie. I wish I could…”

William’s eyes widened slightly. His voice was hoarse. “You couldn’t look more perfect.”

Buffy smiled and looked at the guitar in his lap. “Will you keep playing?”

He nodded once and patted a spot on the bed beside him. He waited for her to join him and then gave her a shy look. “I was…I could play you something my Da used to play for Mum.”

Buffy grinned and leaned towards him excitedly. “Is it romantic?”

Chuckling softly, he shrugged. “I’ll leave it for you to decide.” He repositioned his guitar and began playing a happy mid-paced melody. A moment later he started singing.

“Hey, little girl
I wanna be your boyfriend
Sweet little girl
I wanna be your boyfriend
Do you love me babe?
What do you say?
Do you love me babe?
What can I say?”

Buffy couldn’t help it; she dissolved into giggles. “This is the song your Dad used to get your Mom?” She sounded skeptical.

William laughed and adopted a wounded expression. “Are you suggesting that The Ramones don’t make you all melty for me?” He grinned when her giggles only grew. “Haven’t I ever told you that my Da was in a punk band when he met Mum?”

“Really?” She bit her lip to stop laughing.

“Yeah. Da could play but overall they were pretty rubbish.”

“You’re teasing me.”

“No luv; I can show you the pictures. They were called Muskrat Mayhem.”

That did it. Buffy shook with laughter. “I’m sorry…it’s just…your mom…I can’t picture…”

“Yeah,” he grinned; “She cleaned him up pretty fast, put him on the straight and narrow, but she never stopped liking it when he played for her.”

“I can see that.” Buffy said nodding. “Will you play some more?”

“I…I actually learned something…I sort of learned something for you.”

Her eyes lit up. “You did? When?”

“Last week I was hoping I’d work up the nerve to play it for you.”

She placed her hand on his knee and smiled. “Play it.”

He started picking out a slower rhythm, swallowed nervously a couple times and being careful to avoid the eye contact that he was sure would make it too hard to bare his soul, he began to sing.

“Though I've tried before to tell her
Of the feelings I have for her in my heart
Every time that I come near her
I just lose my nerve
As I've done from the start

Every little thing she does is magic
Everything she do just turns me on
Even though my life before was tragic
Now I know my love for her goes on

Do I have to tell the story
Of a thousand rainy days since we first met
It's a big enough umbrella
But it's always me that ends up getting wet

Every little thing she does is magic
Everything she do just turns me on
Even though my life before was tragic
Now I know my love for her goes on

I resolve to call her up a thousand times a day
And ask her if she'll marry me in some old fashioned way
But my silent fears have gripped me
Long before I reach the phone
Long before my tongue has tripped me
Must I always be alone?

Every little thing she does is magic
Everything she do just turns me on
Even though my life before was tragic
Now I know my love for her goes on”

Buffy had tears sliding down her face when he finished. “William.” She’d heard the song before, had liked it even, but realized now that she had never really listened to it before. Hearing William sing it was almost heartbreaking. She felt every emotion; all the fear, pain, love and longing were so clear in his voice. “William”

The blue eyes that rose to meet hers glistened with barely held back tears. “Buffy?”

“Oh William that was…beautiful. You’re beautiful.”

“You really liked it?”

“Oh yes.” She nodded.

He placed the guitar down next to him and shifted closer to Buffy. Cupping the side of her face, he tilted her chin up so that she’d look him in the eyes. “Why are you crying luv?”

“I don’t…I never thought anyone would ever love me like that.”

“I do.”

She smiled. “I know.”

“And…and it’s ok?”

Her eyes widened as she realized that he was asking if she minded that he loved her so deeply. “I just hope I can live up to it. You’re so…,” she shrugged; “William you’re the most incredible person I know; I don’t know how I got so lucky. I just want to earn it; I want to make you feel happy and loved and…”

William slammed his mouth on to hers for a hard kiss. “You do pet. You make me feel…you make me feel like I could do anything.” He pulled her closer to him and pressed her down on her back. “God I love you Buffy.”


Chapter End Notes:
Only one more post left- I'll put it up by the end of the weekend. Review please!