Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much to all my reviewers!
Anne Pratt smiled as she surveyed the room. The lighting was excellent, the work was expertly hung and the hardwood floors shone. The whole place managed to feel both warm and elegant. It was perfect. Now she just had to convince the owner.

Joyce spotted the woman studying a painting by one of her favorite local artists and approached her eager to hear her opinion. “It’s intriguing, yes?”

“Oh most definitely. I love the contrast; the colors suggesting an entirely different mood than the composition and stroke patterns. It’s a bit like watching someone who is trying but failing to keep their feelings secret.”

Joyce’s eyes widened as the other woman’s words hit exactly upon the tone of her own feelings. “Yes! That’s…you’ve just described it perfectly. I must admit; I’ll be sorry to see this one go but I’d be happy to send it to an appreciative home.”

“Oh …I’m sorry. Of course I’ve given you the wrong impression. I am sadly not here on a shopping expedition. Though, this one does tempt me to rather ignore my budget. I’m hoping to speak with the owner. My name is Anne Pratt, I work with the Breast Cancer Institute and we were hoping to discuss holding an event at this lovely gallery.”

“Oh. I’m the owner, Joyce Summers.” She shook hands with the other woman before stopping to give her a curious look. “But wait. Pratt. You’re not by any chance William’s mother are you?”

Anne gave her a surprised smile. “You know my William?”

Joyce nodded. “He and my daughter seem to have become fast friends.”

“Oh of course, you must be Buffy’s mother. Oh your daughter is just lovely. I was so glad to see William find such a fine friend. He tends to be a bit shy; you’ve probably noticed.”

Joyce laughed softly. “I have. But you should be proud; he is a charming young man.”

Anne beamed before leaning towards her with a mischievous glint in her eye. “And have you noticed then?”

Joyce grinned and nodded. “That he’s fallen for my daughter? Yes, though I’m quite certain she hasn’t.” She shook her head.

Anne laughed again. “I know.” She shook her head.

Joyce glanced at her assistant for a moment and then back at Anne. “Do you have time for coffee? There’s a cute little place a few doors down. We can discuss your event and finish gossiping about the kids.”

“That sounds brilliant.”
*****************************************************************

Cordy gave Buffy a smile as they started warming up for practice. “Sooo…where is Angel taking you for your birthday?”

Buffy shook her head and smiled. “I don’t know. He’s being kind of mysterious about it. He did say I should wear a dress.”

“Ooh I’ll bet he’s going to take you to that new French place. It’s all dark and romantic. You know set the mood for your birthday… dessert.”

“Cordy!” Buffy blushed and looked around to see if anyone heard.

Cordy laughed and the two girls began jogging around the track.

Buffy wasn’t surprised to hear that her friend assumed that she and Angel were sleeping together. They’d been dating since sophomore year and her earlier crush on him was no big secret. She wasn’t really sure why they weren’t. Well she knew that it was because she hadn’t been ready yet, but she wasn’t sure why. They’d definitely covered the other bases. But when it came to that final act, she just couldn’t go through with it. When she was feeling really honest about things she could admit to herself that it was probably why Angel had started making so many of their dates group things. He never really pushed, but she knew he was getting frustrated by her reluctance. Buffy frowned at her thoughts and at herself. It was silly, she thought, she had a great boyfriend. He was handsome and kind and one of the best football players their town had seen in years. She knew that a dozen girls would have been thrilled to take her place. She’d nearly passed out when he’d first asked her to Homecoming. She told herself that it was perfect, that he was perfect, but she couldn’t shake the feeling that something was missing.
********************************************

Joyce was startled to hear a knock on the door early Friday morning. She opened it to find an anxious William.

“Hello Ms…Joyce, I just wanted to drop off a birthday present for Buffy.” He reached out to hand her a package.

“Don’t be silly William; come in and give it to her yourself.” She opened the door further so that he could come in.

He entered looking uncomfortable. “Oh but I don’t want to interrupt; I mean …I’ll see her at school later.”

“You’re not interrupting anything. We always get up early on her birthday and have pancakes. Why don’t you join us?”

“Oh I…”

Joyce shook her head. “Come on. Buffy’s in the kitchen.”

William followed her into the kitchen to find Buffy sitting on the counter still wearing a rather colorful pair of pajamas. She was, he thought with a smile, the most adorable thing he’d ever seen.

She looked up surprised. “William?”

Joyce spoke first. “He stopped by to give your birthday present before school. Isn’t that sweet?”

Buffy grinned. “Ooh now you can have pancakes with us. We’re adding extra chocolate chips.”

William walked over and handed her the wrapped package in his hands. “It’s nothing much, I …”

Buffy shook her head. “Stop. All presents are great. It’s like my motto.” She grinned at him and then carefully unwrapped the gift. When she removed the paper she quietly studied the cover of the book inside. Emma, it said, by Jane Austen.

He watched her carefully looking for signs that she was disappointed with his choice. “You haven’t read it have you?”

She shook her head no.

“You know that movie you like…the one with the girl who has all the clothes. The one where they all talk funny.”

Buffy laughed at his description. “You mean Clueless?”

“Yes, well it was apparently based on this book, so I thought…”

“Really?” Buffy looked surprised. “But this is really old.” She opened the cover to find a date, 1816.

He nodded. “I’ve never read it. Jane Austen is…well her work tends to be a bit girly. But my mother said that she’s always loved this one. So, I just thought…you don’t have to…”

Buffy grinned at him. “This is really sweet. I can’t wait to read it.” She slid off the counter and came towards him. “Thank you.” Bouncing up on to her toes, she leaned in and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. “I really love it.”

William was too stunned to respond. He smiled dazedly and watched as she announced that she was going to get dressed before pancakes and left the room still holding the book to her chest.
*******************************************************
That evening Buffy smiled as she ran her fingers across the book’s cover. She was tempted to read the first page but a glance at the clock told her that she had to finish getting ready for her date.

She went to the closet and pulled out the dress she’d decided upon earlier and laid it on the bed. Quickly assembling the necessary undergarments and accessories, she placed them alongside the dress and left to take a shower.

Her mother smiled when she came downstairs a short time later. “Oh Sweetie; you look beautiful. Do you know where you’re going?”

“No” she shook her head. “Angel said he wanted it to be a surprise.”

Joyce smiled. “That’s nice.”

“Yeah.” Buffy nodded.

Angel arrived a moment later. “Hi. Wow.” He grinned and shook his head. “You look great.”

“Thanks. You look very nice too.” And he did, she thought, he’d gotten dressed up for her and he looked very handsome in a pair of grey slacks and a black button-down shirt.

After a few moments of a conversation with her mom, the two headed out to his car.

“Buff…I sort of forgot something back at my house. So we’re gonna just stop there first okay?”

“Sure.” Buffy nodded agreeably.

He pulled up to his house a few moments later. “Why don’t you come in with me?”

Buffy shrugged and followed him in. When he led her into the dining room she gasped. “Angel?” She looked at him quizzically and then back at the table. It had clearly been set for a romantic dinner. There were candles, wine, flowers and a small wrapped box sat on one of the plates.

“My folks went away for the weekend, so I thought this might be, like… romantic. I picked up some of that fettuccine you like from Tony’s and…” He shrugged. “If you’d rather go out somewhere, we can. It’s your day. I just thought…”

Buffy gave him a big smile. “It’s wonderful.”

He grinned and nodded. “I hoped this might be just the thing to get us back on track.”

Buffy frowned and shook her head confusedly.

“You’ve…I’ve just felt like you’ve been kind of distant for awhile now.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. She’d felt it too, but hadn’t thought he’d noticed. “I…I guess I’ve just been sort of busy with school and cheerleading. I…I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be.”

He nodded. “I’m not mad sweetheart, but …you like it; the surprise?”

She nodded again. “I do.”

And she did, she told herself that night lying in her bed. It had been sweet; probably the most romantic date she’d ever had. She looked at her finger and at the ring he’d given her. It was called a Claddagh ring, he’d said and it was special for sweethearts. He’d hinted that he hoped someday he’d be giving her a different ring. He’d more than hinted that he hoped she might be ready to make love, but he hadn’t pushed when she’d said no. He’d just nodded and given her a slightly hurt look. She’d told him then that she was sure that she’d be ready soon.