**

Chapter 13

Buffy and Spike were quiet as Lou led them up to the top floor where her dads office was located.

“Lou, is there anything you want to tell us?” Buffy didn’t want to sound like she didn’t trust her but she was a bit nervous.

“I don’t know why he wants to see you.” Lou answered quietly.

They reached the door and Lou knocked meekly.

“Enter.” A clear voice boomed from behind the door.

Lou opened the door and motioned them through. She quickly closed the door behind them. Buffy had visions of her listening at the keyhole.

Buffy took a moment to look around, the office was meticulous. Then she looked at Lou’s dad. He was on the phone, talking in a harsh demonic language Buffy guessed. He had the same pale green skin as Lou, his hair was a darker shade of green, and for a demon he was hot. Buffy marvelled. Wasn’t there a law or something that said you were lost when you started finding your friends dads attractive? It immediately made her think of her own dad, how confident he was in his office and what a shit he was.

Spike growled slightly and Buffy knew he had seen her ogling the demon. She rolled her eyes before plopping herself down in one of the chairs. Spike glanced at her, shocked. She shrugged in return. She had spent her childhood being nervous around her father, she’d be damned if she would cower before this jumped up businessman. Whatever he was going to do, he was going to do it reguardless of what they did.

Spike took the seat next to her and she threw him a smile.

Lou’s dad put the phone down and looked up.

“Are you, like, Satan?” Buffy asked conversationally.

Lou’s dad chuckled.

“No, more like middle management. Call me Shiv.” He smiled at them.

Buffy kept her mouth shut, she had learnt by now that demons and their names were a mystery.

“I guess you must be wondering why I called you here.” Shiv started. Buffy and Spike just waited for him to continue.

“To put it bluntly I owe you. You have done me two incredible favours. One was capturing the demon that got lose but the most important one is that you finally got Lou and Dave together, not that I’m condoning the use of leather Miss Summers, but you have done it in two months where as I have been trying for years.” He finished, beaming at them

"Leather always works." Buffy spoke without thinking and then let out a nervous laugh, no maiming or torture so far, that had to be a bonus right?

Spike let out a chuckle.

“That’s all you wanted to see us about? Coz Buffy got Lou and Dave together?” Spike asked incredulously.

“My little girl is very important to me Mr. Stanton; she has been in love for a great many years. You have made her happy; in fact I’d say we will have a Union very soon. This in turn makes me very happy.” Shiv explained seriously

Buffy felt a twinge of guilt for lumping him in the same category as her own father.

“So in return I want to do something for you.” He pulled a slip of paper of his notepad and scribbled something on it.

“Take this down to Bubba on the first floor and he will see to you.” Shiv handed the paper over to Spike. “And if there is anything else I can do for you please let me know.” It sounded like a dismissal so Buffy took it as that. She stood and said goodbye and exited with Spike.

Outside the door Buffy turned to Spike and spoke.

“So what do you think? Trap? Or can he really be that nice?” Buffy felt bad for suggesting it but she wanted to know what Spike thought.

“I have to say that Lou had me worried for a while, but he seems alright, as for going to see Bubba, I guess we’ll have to find out.” He unfolded the note and squinted at the words.

“It’s some demonic language.” He shrugged and stuffed it into his back pocket. They carried on walking.

“What is it with demons and names?” Buffy finally burst out causing Spike to laugh, God knows how long she had been suppressing it?

“Dave, Lou, Steve? And now Bubba? Whatever happened to fear causing names? You know like Vlad the Impaler? When did Steve the accountant on the third floor cause someone to quake with fear? Don’t get me wrong, first impressions, he’s scary and then he introduces himself as Steve the accountant.” Buffy finished with a shake of her head. Spike stopped her with a hand on her shoulder.

“You’re forgetting luv, this is where they work and it’s there home. No one here is trying to take over the world, well except maybe the inmates. They don’t need to inspire fear in there offices, you can guarantee that the torturers don’t introduce themselves as Peggy Sue.” Spike explained smiling at how much it bugged Buffy.

“But it’s not normal!” Buffy exclaimed.

Ah, thought Spike, he knew where this was going and he didn’t like it. Better to get it over and done with he thought.

“So demons can’t have normal names?” He asked mildly.

“No! They’re evil.” Buffy answered without thinking.

“Now we get to the crux of it don’t we Slayer.” He thought he saw her wince slightly at the use of her title but he had a point to make.

“All demons are evil. So that means that Lou and Dave are evil, and Steve the accountant are evil doesn’t it.” Spike pushed.

“No, that’s not what I meant, your twisting it.” Buffy hastily back pedalled; to be honest she hadn’t included her friends in her theory. Buffy’s brain went into overdrive, so did that mean that the demons that she knew weren’t evil, just the ones she hadn’t met? No, that wasn’t right, she didn’t know them, they could be like Lou.

Spike watched as the thoughts rippled over her face.

“What about me Slayer?” Spike let their differences hang between them.

“Spike, you’re a vampire, you’ve killed thousands of people and you’ve tried to kill me.” Buffy all of a sudden didn’t like where this was going but she couldn’t just come out and say he wasn’t evil, not after all the things he had done.

“That I am luv.” Spike answered simply. He wasn’t going to defend himself; he had to see if she could get past it herself.

Buffy looked away suddenly.

“We better go and see Bubba.” She said softly before walking ahead.