**

Chapter 16

Buffy woke up alone and was saddened by it, last night had been the most beautiful, intense thing she had ever experienced and Spike was gone. She knew he felt it too, but obviously he didn’t see the experience the same way.

She pulled the covers back to get out of bed, when the door opened. She immediately felt bad about her thoughts, because there stood Spike with a tray covered in breakfast foods.

“Get back into bed.” He commanded and she did, he left the tray on her lap and sat on the edge of the bed.

“Fancy a night out tonight luv?” He asked, smiling while he watched her eat.

“What do you mean?” Buffy asked curiously.

“I mean that we need a bit of fun, we’ve been training so hard that we could do with a break. Lou and Dave are up for it if you fancy it.” Spike explained.

“Sure, it sounds like a plan.” Buffy beamed at him, half of her glad that he hadn’t mentioned the previous evening. She didn’t understand what she felt herself so she didn’t want to talk about it.

**

Buffy spent the day lounging in the bath and doing various beauty treatments while Spike just read for most of the day. Occasionally she would look at him and catch him staring. It made her smile. Spike just looked away when she caught him.

The knock they were waiting for came early in the evening; Spike opened the door to Lou and Dave.

“Buffy’s still getting ready; obviously the whole day wasn’t enough.” He commented as he let the couple in.

“Hey! I’m ready, I was just finishing.” Buffy defended herself; she looked at Lou and saw that she was still in a haze of delirium. She didn’t think that she had ever seen anyone so happy, half of her was delighted for her new friend but half of her was full of envy.

“So, we good to go?” Spike asked and everyone nodded. They made there way up to the bar and sat in a booth.

Lou seemed to be bouncing of the walls, she was in such a good mood.

“Okay Lou, spill. I thought Spike was the only demon I knew with ADHD but your running a close second.” Buffy smiled, getting caught up with it.

“I do not have that, I just get bored easily.” Spike retorted and Buffy just rolled her eyes and waved a hand in front of him as if to present him to Lou.

Lou and Dave chuckled. Then Dave took Lou’s hand and looked at the blond pair.

“We have something we wanted to ask you.” Dave spoke softly, his voice full of hope.

“We’re going to be joined.” Lou almost squealed and Buffy fought the urge to cover her ears.

“Well that’s brilliant; I’m really pleased for you both.” Spike beamed at them, but Buffy just looked confused.

“Joined? What’s that? Because the only thoughts I’m having are nothing you can do in public. And I love you guys but don’t ask for me to do anything with that.” Buffy half joked.

Spike chuckled and patted her on the hand.

“It’s a ceremony, kind of like marriage but more serious.” He explained.

“What could be more serious than marriage?” Buffy scoffed.

“A Union.” Spike answered and at Buffy’s look he elaborated.

“Demons don’t often get joined because it’s like an oath. To be with someone forever, your bound to one another. Nothing can break it, and you don’t find people who are so sure of their feelings that often.” He looked up at the pair across from him and congratulated them again.

Buffy just sat and thought about it. Tears welled in her eyes and Spike rolled his eyes.

“You guys! I’m so happy for you.” She got up and hugged them both.

“Tell her it’s like a marriage and she’s in tears.” Spike commented dryly.

Buffy slapped him around the head.

“What was it you wanted to ask us?” Spike continued the original conversation.

Lou and Dave looked at each other for a moment before Lou spoke.

“We want you two to stand for us, that is, if you agree.” Lou was hopeful, Spike was shocked and Buffy was just confused again.

“Are you sure? What about you’re other friends?” Spike asked.

“I think I’m missing something, what exactly are you guys asking?” Buffy asked still a picture of confusion.

“It’s like a best man and a maid of honour.” Spike explained quickly.

Buffy sat with her mouth open.

“It’s not going to be for a couple of weeks yet.” Lou added hastily, Buffy looked a bit freaked out.

“Oh My God!” Buffy cried, as tears began falling.

“Now you’ve gone and done it, if she mentions ‘Wind Beneath My Wings’, run.” Spike muttered and got another smack in the head for his troubles.

“I’d be honoured.” Buffy sniffed, wiping her tears away.

“Really?” Lou beamed wildly at the two.

“Well I think this calls for a drink.” Spike slammed his fist down on the table and Dave nodded vigorously.

“Barkeep! A bottle of your finest tequila.” Spike shouted. The bartender brought over two bottles and four shot glasses.

“On the house. Congrats you two, it’s about time.” And wandered back to the bar.

“Remind me to go drinking with you two again.” Spike grinned at the besotted demons.

Spike filled the shots and handed them out.

Buffy raised her glass and toasted.

“To Lou and Dave!” The entire bar erupted into cheers and shouts and Buffy nearly dropped her glass.

Lou and Dave raised their glasses to the rest of the bar looking a bit sheepish, then downed the shots.

Many shots later, Buffy was eyeing the bottom of her glass, swaying only a little bit.

“We could so take you.” She asserted and Lou snorted.

“Please. Hello, demons.” She and Dave waved their hands.

“Hey Spike has a demon and we’re not above exploiting it.” Buffy informed them cheekily.

“If you’re talking about working in a sweatshop for fifty pence an hour, you can forget it.” Spike answered, inside he was reeling. Buffy had said he had a demon, not that he was a demon.

“Spike this is serious! There questioning our abilities.” She tried to take a swat at him but obviously went for the wrong Spike, it didn’t help that there was at least three of him.

“”Right! Twenty quid says we can take you.” Spike slapped his palm down on to the table.

“I’ll take that bet.” Lou informed him.

The rest of the bar had gathered round and they watched in amazement as money started to pass hands.

“What do you expect? We don’t get out much, we’ll bet on anything.” Lou laughed.

“Come on then, let’s do this.” Spike stood up and pulled Buffy out of her seat. The four of them walked to the hall way where the competition would be held.

The patrons of the bar filed out first and lined the hallway of the corridor. The barkeep, who had been assigned ref for this shouted.

“On your marks, get ready. GO!”

Buffy leapt onto Spikes back as Lou mounted Dave, the men caught their legs and began trotting down the hallway. Spike ricocheted off many of the patrons but they just guided them on their way. Buffy was yelling Yee-haw’s again as she tried to encourage Spike by nudging him with her knee.

Spike was trying to dodge her nudges and not to laugh his arse of at her phrases like.

“Ride me cowboy.”

“I’ll ride you alright.” he answered and Buffy giggled.

Lou and Dave took advantage of their flirting and overtook them, Dave, now in the lead, seemed to get a second wind and charged down the hallway. They reached the end and he jumped up and down with Lou still on his back, they turned to see the losers but they were otherwise occupied.

Buffy had worked her way around to the front of Spikes body and now had her legs wrapped tightly around his waist, while Spike rooted for her tonsils, with his tongue.

The onlookers laughed at the duo. Money exchanged hands, some won for backing Lou and Dave but most won for betting the Slayer and the vampire wouldn’t make it to the end of the corridor.