**

Chapter 24

“Forgive me if I seem a little confused but who are you exactly?” Giles suppressed the whirlwind of questions for Buffy and this new woman. He was dying to know what had happened.

“Hi, I’m Lou; I met Buffy and Spike when they first arrived in Hell. They helped me out while they were there.” Lou kept it simple.

“Er, nice to meet you.” Giles went for formal.

Buffy started to giggle and at the questioning looks she shrugged.

“I was just thinking that Giles would introduce himself to anything. He’s British.” Buffy added for Lou’s benefit.

“Oi, leave off the British.” Spike muttered and Giles inclined his head in the vampire’s direction.

“Lou sat up with the aid of Spike; he helped her to sit in one of the chairs and hovered around her.

“Spike, I’m fine now, Thank you for what you did.” Lou added genuinely.

“S’alright, Dave would kill me if I let anything happen to you, not to mention your dad.” Spike chuckled.

“Not that I’m not happy to see you Lou, but why are you here?” Buffy asked.

“You forgot this. I figured you’d need it.” Lou pulled the amulet out of her pocket and held it out to Buffy. Buffy blushed and darted a quick look at her watcher.

Buffy snatched the amulet out of Lou’s hands and tossed it to Giles. He opened his mouth to say something but Buffy cut him off.

“Don’t say a word.” She uttered, pointing a finger at him. Spike chuckled and Buffy glared at him.

“Well I need to get back; I’ve already been gone to long. So, it was nice to meet you all and get shot and everything.” Lou smirked at Spike when he rolled his eyes. Lou hugged Buffy and Spike tightly, and then pulled out a necklace of her own, she pressed something and the portal shimmered into being. With a little wave she stepped through it and it closed behind her.

As everyone took their seats again Riley was coming round. He sat up and shook his head as if trying to clear it. He looked around the room and suddenly everything dawned on him.

“Buffy you hit me!” he exclaimed.

“Yeah well, you shot my friend.” Buffy retaliated.

“I shot a demon, it just popped out of nothing, and it could have killed you!” Riley defended his actions.

“’It’ is a she, and she has a name. Lou, and since when have I ever needed you to save me from anything?” Buffy ground out from between clenched teeth.

Riley looked incredibly hurt at her words and she noticed Xander wince out of the corner of her eye. Riley pulled himself to his feet.

“I’m going to call you tomorrow so we can talk about this in a civil manner.” He commented stiffly before walking out of Giles’ front door.

“Was he always like that? Did I really never notice it before?” Buffy muttered to herself. The room was silent, but Buffy could see the glimmer of a smirk that Spike was desperately trying to suppress.

“Piss off.” Buffy muttered to the vampire as she turned back to Giles. Her watcher stared at her in shock.

“What?” Buffy demanded.

“Buffy could I talk to you for a moment?” Giles asked mildly as he whipped his glasses off and scrubbed at them with handkerchief.

Buffy just shrugged her shoulders.

“Spike, I think it would be best if you went on home, we’ll talk tomorrow.” Giles suggested in the mildest voice he could manage. Spike’s eyes narrowed as he looked at the watcher.

“Right. I’ll see you tomorrow.” He looked to Buffy for some kind of sign, she just nodded slightly at him and he headed for the door without a backward glance.

“That was rude.” Buffy accused Giles as soon as Spike was out the door.

“Buffy obviously something happened while you were in err… Hell, but you can’t seriously entertain the idea of continuing any sort of relationship with Spike.” Giles spoke sternly as he looked intensely at his slayer.

“Something happened in Hell?” Xander piped up from the couch. The penny dropped and Xander rounded on his best friend.

“Oh god Buffy, you didn’t! Are you insane? He’s a vampire! What is it with you and dead guys? The last one didn’t teach you anything? You want to get all your friends killed?” Xander shouted mercilessly at her.

Giles watched Buffy as her hands clenched at her side and he could see her teeth clenched. Trying to avoid any kind of situation, Giles stepped in front of Xander and looked at him.

“Xander I think it would be best for you all to leave now, Buffy and I have much to discuss.” The tone of Giles voice left no room for argument.