A/N's: Sorry for the delay, have been moving and just taken over a new pub, things are nuts.

**

Chapter 25

Buffy slumped onto the couch as everyone left. She watched as Giles moved around his front room pulling books from various places, even some from the locked cabinet which he always kept locked.

He dumped the books on the table in front of her and began leafing through them.

“William the Bloody.” He placed the open book on Buffy’s lap.

“That is an account of how he and Drusilla slaughter the entire occupants of a hotel.

He leafed through another book and placed it on her lap.

“He wiped out a family on a farm.” Giles tapped the book so she would look down. She winced as she saw that there were old pictures in the book. A room littered with corpses.

Giles was relentless. He placed another open book on her lap.

“Angelus and Spike decimated a convent. Do I really need to go on Buffy? Because I can get all of the books with his exploits in them if that is what it will take.” Giles snapped at her.

Buffy looked at her watcher with tears in her eyes. She angrily swiped them away and pushed the books of her lap and onto the floor. She walked stiffly towards the door and left.

Giles sighed as he picked the books up, he could only hope that he had got through to her.

**

Buffy walked quickly to the dorms and made her way to her room. She entered it and found Willow lying on her bed. Buffy walked to her own bed and slumped down to lie on it.

“You and Spike huh?” willow questioned softly.

“Willow please don’t start.” Buffy pleaded with her best friend.

“All I’m saying is he is a vampire Buffy, and he doesn’t have a soul.” Willow rushed the words out.

Buffy sat up and faced the redhead.

“Would you give Tara up because we might not approve?” Buffy asked Willow.

Willow flew into an upright position and stared at her in shock.

“How… how do.. I don’t understand.” Willow stammered out.

“Spike told me.” Buffy explained.

Willow blushed scarlet and cast her eyes down; when she peeked through her hair she spoke tentatively.

“Are you okay with that?” willow held hope in her eyes and Buffy smiled.

“I love you wills, though not in a gay way.” Buffy joked and giggled at the look on Willows face.

“All I’m saying is you’re my best friend and you can’t help who you fall in love with.” It was Buffy who held hope in her eyes this time.

“It’s a bit different Buffy, Tara’s gay, Spikes a vampire. Wait! Are you telling me you love him?” willow gasped.

“I really think so.” Buffy conceded.

“Willow I wish you could have come to Hell with us, not in a bad way. But just to meet the people there and I wish you could have spent some time with Lou. Do you know why you go to Hell? To atone for your sins, you are only in Hell as long as it takes to earn redemption. Nobody is damned, everyone can atone.” Buffy could see the incredulous look on Willow’s face so she just nodded to her best friend.

“They don’t tell you that in the slayer handbook.” Buffy added sombrely.

Willow continued to stare at Buffy; Buffy slumped back down to her bed, her thoughts whirling with images of Spike.

**

Spike stalked in his crypt. They were going to turn her against him, he knew it. The last six months wouldn’t matter. He knew how much her friends meant to her. And ultimately he knew that she would listen to them.

Spike fell backwards into his armchair. He clutched his face in his hands. It wouldn’t hurt so much if he hadn’t of had the last six months with her. He wouldn’t put her through any more torment; he could imagine what her watcher was doing to her. He would leave, take the decision away from her, it would crush him if she chose them over him.

The only thing to do would be to leave, make his own decision. He would tell her tomorrow, say goodbye properly so that he could have good memories. Spike closed his eyes and ignored the tears that had started to fall. Tomorrow he would say goodbye to his slayer and the love of his life.

**

Buffy awoke to Giles speaking on her answering machine. She glanced around the room to see Willow already gone.

“Buffy you need to do that thing tonight with the amulet.” He tried to sound cryptic and Buffy smiled, her mood soured instantly as she remembered the previous evening.

Buffy got up and got dressed; she would go to classes and do the normal thing today. She was nearly aching for Spike, sleeping in a bed without him had left her with a dull ache in her chest. Knowing he would come to Giles later to help with the impending apocalypse, she held onto that thought as she headed to her first class.

Wandering down the corridor to class Buffy came face to chest with Riley.

“Are you feeling better this morning?” Riley asked stiffly. Buffy gave a huge sigh and craned her neck back to look at him.

“I was feeling fine yesterday, Riley, you shot my friend.” Buffy sighed wearily.

“Buffy I don’t understand what’s happened. You seem so different that yesterday when you left.” Riley pleaded for an explanation.

“Riley I was in Hell for six months, half a year. A lot can change in that time.” She tried to explain.

“This has something to do with Spike hasn’t it, he’s turned you against me.” Riley spat.

“Riley, your talking like we were married with kids, we only had a few dates, it wasn’t even that serious.” Buffy exclaimed.

“How can you say that? I know you felt the same as I did. As I do!” He spoke furiously.

“Riley I don’t know how else to put this, I spent six months without you, I got over you. I’m sorry that you only had six hours but I can’t change that.” Buffy tried to let him down gently. Deciding that she’d had enough of the conversation Buffy turned and walked in the other direction.