**

Chapter 26

Buffy skipped her classes and went home; she wanted to talk to her mom. She spent the day with accusations and confusion in her mind. When it was time to go back to Giles she had made up her mind about one thing.

Buffy walked into the room and found the gang there, her eyes lightened as they rested on Spike. Spike quickly glanced the other way and Buffy frowned.

She stalked to the table and snatched up the amulet. She turned on her heel and stalked back to the door.

“Move people.” Buffy barked as she made her way out the door.

**

They arrived at the remains of the high school; this was where it was supposed to happen, at the hell mouth. The gang filed into the rubble after her. The demon was already there, he was crouched over the hole to the hell mouth and he was chanting. He was huge and red, with two great horns protruding from his forehead. Buffy thought he looked like the devil from the film Legend.

The gang filed out around Buffy into defensive positions, Spike stood at her back.

Waiting for Buffy to act, everyone was surprised when she spoke.

“Hey there, can I talk to you for a sec?” Buffy called to the demon.

“Buffy! What are you doing?” Xander hissed from somewhere behind her.

The demon swung his head around and glared at the slayer. He stood and started to advance on her, he raised his fist readied to strike.

Buffy pulled a small fireball to her palm and let it zoom past the demons head, singing his ear.

“If your going to be rude then I’m going to hurt you, now do you feel like talking?” Buffy asked simply.

The demon stopped in his tracks and narrowed his eyes at her.

“You really want to talk to me, this isn’t a trick?” he questioned, his voice had a guttural edge to it but Buffy could understand him perfectly.

“I really want to talk to you, why are you doing this? See what you’re doing is going to end this world and I kinda live here.” Buffy asked and explained in one.

The demon seemed to let out an enormous sigh.

“I have to get home; I haven’t seen my girls for months. We’re at war with a rival clan, I came here to get weapons from the humans and now I can’t get back I have to see my girls.” The demon said in all on an exhale.

“Your daughters?” Buffy questioned his reference to his girls.

“No, my wives.” The demon explained and Buffy just made a silent ‘O’ with her mouth. Behind her Spike chuckled.

“Okay, if I can help you get home will you give up on trying to destroy my world?” Buffy made him the offer and the demon looked at her suspiciously again.

“Why would you help me?” the demon asked curiously.

“Because all you’re trying to do is get home, and if it can stop you trying to end my world and I can do this without killing something I think that it’s something for everyone.” Buffy answered honestly.

“I am D’Shil.” The demon held out his hand politely. Buffy took a step forward and shook his hand.

“I’m Buffy. Now why don’t you tell me about your home and we can start researching.” Buffy crouched down to sit on the floor and the demon followed suit.

Giles stared at Buffy in horror as she looked at him expectantly.

“Are you getting this down Giles? You’re going to have to research.” Buffy spoke and then turned back to listen to D’Shil.

**

Giles and Willow made it back from his apartment in record time, Giles didn’t like leaving Buffy with this demon but Xander and Spike had stayed with her. It turned out that a simple relocation spell could send D’Shil home so he and Willow had prepared everything they needed.

When they returned to the hell mouth Giles stood in shock at what he witnessed.
Buffy was sat cradling D’Shil’s head against her chest, her head tilted to the side to avoid his horns. She was patting him on the back as D’Shil sobbed his heart out.

Xander looked on disgusted while Spike glared at Giles.

“What’s the matter watcher? Never seen a demon cry before?” Spike ground out.

To make matters worse Riley strode into the collapsed building and took one look at Buffy and went straight for his gun.

“What is it with you and that fucking gun? Feel the need to compensate for something?” Spike demanded to the soldier.

“Riley what are you doing here?” Giles questioned wearily as Riley just gaped at him.

“I came to help. Can anyone else see Buffy with that demon? Quick, stand back Buffy.” Riley called to Buffy and she rolled her eyes again.

“Can someone kill him?” she called hopefully, D’Shil looked up and sniffed.

“I could if you’d like.” He offered and Buffy smiled gratefully at him.

“That’s very kind but I was sort of joking.” Buffy smiled happily at the big red demon.

“Riley I think you should just leave. Now Riley.” Giles cut him off as Riley opened his mouth to protest.

Buffy threw a grateful look to Giles and she tapped D’Shil on the shoulder.

“You ready to go home big guy?” she smiled and the demon sniffed again and wiped his nose with back of his hand.

“I really don’t know how to thank you for this. If you ever come to X’usl, you look me up.” He stood back from Buffy as Giles and Willow set up the diagrams and spell around him.

Giles and Willow chanted together, the air seemed to haze and then D’Shil was gone.

“So who’s hungry?” Buffy asked before turning to walk out of the ruins of her old high school.