**

Chapter 29

When Buffy woke up Spike was gone, sadness tugged at her heart but she was determined. She hated to leave him hanging like this but it had to be all in one go, and then she could get back to normal.

She got out of bed and made her way downstairs. Her mom waited in the kitchen for her.

“Hey sweetie.” Her mom reached out a hand to tuck her daughter’s hair behind her ear.

“Morning mom.” Buffy answered with a smile.

“Are you sure this is what you want Buffy?” her mom asked her, with only a little sadness in her voice.

“More than anything in my entire life.” Buffy answered simply and Joyce nodded in assent.

“Well I’d better make you a good breakfast then.” Joyce spoke up and busied herself with cooking.

**

Spike spent the day sleeping and the early evening packing. He sorted through his stuff and just took the stuff he needed. Well that and a picture of Buffy. When he was done he hoisted his bag onto his bag and headed out of the crypt. He thought for a moment about ducking out on Rupert’s but he had as good as promised, plus it wouldn’t hurt to see her one last time.

**

Buffy paced Giles floor as she waited for him to come, her heart pounding in her throat at the thought he might not come, it was silly really, they hadn’t fixed a time so he wasn’t late but she couldn’t help but be restless.

She had told the entire gang to be their, now they all sat patiently and every time someone opened their mouths Buffy snapped.

“Not until Spike gets here.”

When Spike finally arrived a relieved sigh echoed through the entire Scooby gang.

Buffy pushed Spike into an available seat and turned to address the gang.

“I asked everyone here tonight because I have something very important to tell you all.” Turning to face Giles in particular she spoke again.

“Spike is leaving tonight.” She let him in on Spikes decision. The hope that filled her watchers face made her cringe.

“I’m sure it’s for the best Buffy.” Giles answered levelly, trying to remain impartial.

“No Giles, you don’t understand. I’m going with him.” Buffy clarified and turned to look at Spike.

“That’s if he’ll have me.” Buffy asked in a shy voice as she looked at Spike.

Spike stared at her in shock for a few seconds. In another second flat he was out of the chair and he gathered Buffy in his arms. He let out a whoop of joy as he spun her around. He settled her on the floor and captured her mouth in a kiss, ignoring every one in the room.

Giles sat with his mouth open, Willow and Tara had a sad smile on their faces, Anya looked delighted but it was Xander who spoke first.

“You are insane, aren’t you?” he demanded harshly.

“He’s a vampire Buffy! He will drain you dry or turn you!” Xander near screamed.

Buffy pulled away from Spike and advanced on her best friend, using her fingers to push him back into his seat she glared at him.

“Now it’s my time to over share since you’re so fond of doing it.” Buffy ground out.

She took a deep breath to steady her self and spoke to Xander again.

“This vampire who will drain me is the same vampire who I have been fucking for six months. The same vampire who has had me in some pretty interesting situations and has not once bitten me, not once has he asked to bite me or for me to open a vein for him.” she should have been embarrassed for sharing so much but she was to angry to care.

“For god’s sake Xander, this evil vampire who only wants me for my blood, spent three days out of every month utterly drunk of his ass when I had my period so he could control himself.” Buffy turned to look at Spike. He ducked his head.

Spike would have blushed if he could, he didn’t think she had noticed, since he tried to ration out the drunken assed nights equally.

Buffy glanced at her watcher who was now polishing his glasses so vigorously that Buffy was waiting for the lens to pop out of the frames.

“I’m sorry if that embarrasses you but I’m trying to make a point.” Buffy pointed out.

“I am trying to make you see the man that I spent the last six months with, the man who helped a demon pick out his wedding suit. The man who had the chance to torture people to his hearts content in hell, as a job, but didn’t have the heart for it.” Buffy smiled at Spike as he stood in awe at her words.

“Giles, you have been my watcher for four years now, I hate to say it but you have no idea. Being in Hell for these past six months has taught me more that the council will ever teach me.” Giles tried to speak but Buffy held a hand up to still him.

“Giles, have you ever thought about it from a demons point of view? How many demons like D’Shil have I killed without finding out why they were doing what they were doing? How many of them were just trying to get home? How many of them left there families without a father?” Buffy demanded mercilessly.

“I’m not saying all demons are good, if they threaten our race then they have to be killed, but what if they just need help Giles?” Buffy let the question hang in the air.

Giles and Xander just stared at her.

Anya stood up from the couch and applauded with loud claps; she ran to Buffy and hugged her.

“I’ve spent s long trying to explain that.” Anya wiped a tear away from her eye and gave Spike a hug for good measure.

“Giles, everyone, if you could just spend some time in Hell with all the people there, you’d understand.” Buffy glanced at everyone in turn.

“Willow, you would love Bubba, you could study with him, you’re so powerful and I’ve seen some of the victims who have let dark magic overwhelm them, I don’t want that happening to you. You could learn so much from him.” Buffy exclaimed passionately and then turned to Giles.

“You could learn so much too, it’s like a whole other world.” Buffy let the adrenaline run out of her. She sagged slightly and Spike was behind her, he wrapped his arms around her waist to give her support.

“That’s all I’m going to say. If Spike agrees, that’s where we’re going, back to Hell. Lou has offered us both jobs.” She looked at Spike hopefully and he nodded before breaking into a huge grin.

Giles stared in disbelief.

“Buffy you can’t just leave, what about your duties as the slayer?” Giles demanded.

“Times passes differently as you know, I won’t age the same, I can come back once a year, which is once a day here so you don’t have any real ground to stand on there.” Buffy answered tightly.

“Buffy I really don’t understand why you’re doing this.” Giles exclaimed.

“Let me clarify. I love Spike; I want to be with him, more than anything I have ever wanted. I’m happy Giles, for the first time in a while I am happy. And you all can’t accept that, so I’m going somewhere I can be happy, is that so difficult to understand?” Buffy felt Spikes arms tighten around her. She turned in his embrace to face him.

“I wanted to say that to you when we were alone but I have to make him understand.” She looked at the amazed look on his face.

“I love you.” She whispered again, only for the vampires benefit.

“And I love you.” Spike answered before kissing her softly.