Author's Chapter Notes:
A HUGE thank you goes out to my amazing BETA, Lauriel for sending back my chapters ASAP so I can post them up here for everyone to see. You’re amazing *smiles*.


Again, as always. Thank you to everyone who reviewed on the last chapter: cordykitten, Ivy, Spikes_slayer08, sarah g, JO. *Big Smiles* You’re feeding my muse nummy treats, keeping her alive and kicking.


Also…. I plan on writing 1 or 2 chapters after this one and then sadly this story will come to an end… but don’t worry I’m working on another short story atm AND finishing off Loves Bitch. *Smiles*
Chapter 19:


“You really think an intervention is the best way to go?” Dru asked, a mixture of expressions crossing her face. “You don’t think we should just talk to them? Not bombard them?”


“They need to know everything. If we tell them we want to talk to them about it, they’re not going to listen. I think this way will get the best results.” Darla smiled, standing from Dru’s bed and stretching her arms above her head.


“A smack in the face is what Spike needs.” Dru sighed, knowing it was going to take a severe amount of talking to sway both Buffy and Spike’s thoughts.


“That too.” Darla laughed, moving towards the door.


“So, who’s first?” with a quizzical gaze, Dru followed Darla down the hall.


“Buffy.”


Dru bit back a frustrated groan. She couldn’t decide which was worse, having to put up with Spike’s moping all day or trying to talk to Buffy about what had happened the other night, only to be met with ‘I’ll jump in front of a bus before I speak to him again.’


“Buffy, you need to understand-”


“I don’t want to hear it Dru.” Buffy cut her off. “He lied to me, used me again and now he’s back with Harmony and Angel.” She let out a growl. “Smug bastard.”


“Buffy, you really need to listen to m-”


“No, I don’t.”


Darla had been silent up until now, having watched Buffy and Dru cut each other off for the last 10 minutes. They were sitting in Buffy’s lounge room, Darla standing off to the side, leaning on the doorframe to the room whilst Dru and Buffy sat on the sofa.


“Angelus.”


The way Darla said his name made Buffy shiver and immediately stop bickering with Dru. “Is manipulative.” She met Buffy’s gaze. “He’ll do anything to get himself to a certain point of self satisfaction. He likes to mess with people just to get his rocks off. He’ll black mail you, he’ll lie to you and he likes to play mind games.” Buffy remained silent. “He likes to see people at their weakest point.” Darla walked further into the room and sat on a chair opposite Buffy. “He likes to bring them so far down,” she met Buffy’s gaze.


“Buffy…” Buffy’s gaze broke from Darla’s and turned to Dru’s. “You need to listen to me when I try to explain what happened the other night.”


“Ok,” she whispered in response, her gaze switching back and forth between Darla and Dru.


“Angel tricked Spike-”


Dru was cut off by Buffy‘s outburst. “How could he? He was gone for like 5 minutes.” Darla leant back into her chair, letting Dru take over for a while.


“I need you to listen, without interrupting me, Ok?” Buffy slumped back into the couch, a frown on her face.


“Fine,” she grumbled.


“Four years ago, you remember what happened between you and Spike?” Dru asked, seeing the tears forming in her friend’s eyes as she nodded ‘yes.’


“Angel made a deal with Spike- No interruptions!” Dru scowled, seeing Buffy’s mouth open in objection. “Spike wanted popularity and Angel gave it to him.”


“At a price.” Darla sighed, speaking for the first time in minutes. “Theres always a price.”


“Spike agreed to the deal without even hearing what it was he had to do in order to gain popularity.” Dru looked down at her hands in her lap briefly before speaking again. “Angel made Spike humiliate you in front of the whole school,” she whispered.


“Why didn’t he just not do it? We were best friends!” Buffy exclaimed, the pain of the past bringing tears to her eyes.


“If at anytime Spike backed out of the deal, Angel would get me.” Dru met and held Buffy’s eyes.


“Get you?” Buffy asked, not understanding.


“He’d make her his.” Darla said, answering for Dru.


“So if Spike backed out,” she turned to face Dru, “Angel would sleep with you?”


“Yeah,” Dru whispered, glancing at Darla.


“That’s what I’m here for.” Darla smiled softly.


“I don’t understand.” Buffy stood, pacing back and forth between the two. “Spike made a deal with Angel? And if he broke the deal Angel was going to sleep with you?”


“Yes.”


“But that was over 4 years ago!” Buffy exclaimed.


“Angel’s a twisted soul and that’s what I’m here to help with.” Darla watched Buffy pace back and forth. “I‘m going to be her substitute.”


“What!”


“I can’t ask you to do that.” Buffy and Dru said simultaneously. Darla had briefly told Buffy about her encounter with Angelus years ago and seeing the determination come across Darla’s features, Buffy sighed.


“Spike loves both of you.” Darla started, her voice loud and strong. “He’s not going to back out of his deal for fear of hurting you. And he can’t get too close to you,” she looked at Buffy, “because he’ll just hurt you more. The only way you all win is if Angelus gets what he wants.”


“Bu-”


Dru was cut off. “He‘s always wanted me.” Darla looked down. “Even after I left, he tried to follow me to LA.”


“I never knew that,” Dru whispered, a frown crossing her features.


“I didn‘t want you to freak out,” she shrugged. “What matters is now.” A few tears had formed in her eyes. “And I won’t let him hurt any of you anymore. Enough is enough.” She stood and made her way over to Buffy, engulfing her in a hug. “My cousins love you,” she whispered before pulling back. “I have to do this.”


“Are we going to tell Spike?” Buffy asked. “What we’re planning to do?”


“I guess so, I mean I-”


“No,” Darla cut in. “Everything will play out as planned. Leave Angelus to me.”


“Thank you,” Buffy smiled, hugging Darla one more time. “Both of you.” She pulled Dru up from the couch and hugged her as well. “I don’t know what I’d do if-”


“Let’s not go there. Let’s hope for the best and that everything will go according to plan.” Darla smiled, glancing over at Dru who had a blank look across her face as she stared off into space.


“Dru?” Buffy asked, getting no response.


“Drusilla?” Darla asked, louder, shaking her cousin.


“Huh?” Dru was brought out of her trance, a smile on her face. “So Buffy, I hear the Bronze is having an open mic night tomorrow…”


Chapter End Notes:
......Only 1-2 chapters to go folks... hope you're enjoying it:)