Author's Chapter Notes:
A MASSIVE thank you goes out to Lauriel for taking the time to beta this chapter for me on such short notice. You’re a life saver.


Also, thank you so much to everyone who has reviewed so far: Hellen, Pam S, Michelle, sarah g, JO, cord kitten, maddonna001 and Ashwinder91...... you guys are what keep me going:)
Chapter 3:


Buffy looked up from her position on the couch and raised an eyebrow. He was doing it again. Staring at her. Every few seconds he’d open his mouth as if to start a conversation, but as quick as it started, it stopped and he’d snap his mouth shut as soon as her eyes met his. Shaking her head slightly, Buffy tucked her feet up on the couch underneath herself and got back to writing.


They’d been at the holiday cabin for five days already and he had yet to gather the courage and go talk to her. Joyce and Giles were out taking a mid-day walk along the lake and Drusilla was in the cabin somewhere getting up to God knows what.


Spike leant up from his position on the couch opposite Buffy and ran a hand through his hair. The TV in front of him was on but he paid it little attention. ‘Come on mate. You used to talk to her all the time. She’s nothing to be afraid of. Look at her!’ And look he did. Her face was a mask of concentration, her pencil was tucked behind her ear as she tapped away a few sounds with her fingers on her notepad and went back to writing. ‘She’s beautiful.’


“Would you just grow a pair and go talk to her already.” Dru whispered in her brother’s ear making him jump.


“Bloody hell!” Spike spun around to glare at his sister who was leaning casually over his chair. “Do you have to do that!?” he growled.


“I didn’t do anything.” Dru stood and folded her arms across her chest.


“Yes you did. You’re always bloody popping out of the middle of nowhere!” Spike had spun halfway in his chair to face her.


“Well it’s not my fault you’re going deaf and can’t hear people coming towards you.” Spike’s eyes narrowed. Dru just poked her tongue out and walked away from him with a huff.


“Buffy..” Spike started, turning his gaze back around to the blonde opposite him.


He was met with a “Hmm ?” as Buffy slowly raised her head from her paper coming to and met his gaze.


“Would you...” He was cut off as the front door was opened and his father’s voice was heard.


“We’re back!”


Buffy broke eye contact first and stood from the couch, making her way to the dining room in which Giles and Joyce had entered. Spike sighed in defeat and slumped back in his chair, his eyes flicked to the TV. Passions was on. ‘You’re pathetic, mate.’ He shook his head and let his mind wander.


……………………………….................................................................................


I could tell you his favourite colour's blue
He loves to argue, born on the seventeenth
His sister's beautiful, he has his father’s eyes
And if you asked me if I love him,
I’d lie



“You know you shouldn‘t leave this lying around like that,” Dru smiled entering Buffy’s room. Buffy looked up from position on the floor half under her bed. Pushing the stray hairs from her face her shoulders sagged as she let out a sigh. Now she knew why her frantic search for her notepad had been fruitless. Her friend was holding it in her hands. “Especially if you don‘t want a certain someone reading it,” she smiled.


“Thanks,” She accepted the notepad from Dru and quickly shoved it under her pillow on her bed. “I forgot where I left it when Mom and Giles came back from their walk.”


“I know.” Dru smiled leaning up against the doorframe. “Do you want maybe to come for a walk with me?”


“I’d love to. Let me just grab my stuff” Buffy looked around the room and grabbed her mobile phone and sunglasses.


“All set?”


“Lets go.” Buffy smiled linking her arm through Dru’s. Buffy hadn’t been close to Drusilla when the Giles had first moved in next door. Quite the opposite actually. They had hated each other. It wasn’t until they had been forced to have a sleepover at Buffy’s house, when Spike had broken his arm and Giles had had to spend the night at the local hospital, that the two had bonded.


Buffy was brought shocked out of her short trip down memory lane when she was splashed with an enormous mass of water. Dru burst out laughing at Buffy’s sudden new look, ‘drowned rat.’


“You kiddies comin‘ in or what?” Spike asked smirking. He was standing on the lake’s edge, only wearing his boxers as swimmers. A pile of clothes lay not too far up the bank on the grass.


Buffy was left stumbling over her words as Dru took off her top and skirt to reveal swimmers. “You could have told me you know,” her eyes creased together, forming a frown.


“Now where’s the fun in that?” She smiled running towards the water. Her clothes left laying in a pile next to Buffy.


“They are so related,” Buffy grumbled folding her arms over her chest glaring at the twins wet forms in front of her.


“What’s the matter Summers.?” Spike taunted. “You afraid of the water?”


“Spike don’t!”


Spike didn’t hear his sister’s warning.


Dru was too late. Buffy spun around so fast she got dizzy. She didn’t care where she was going, as long as it was away from him.


“You idiot!” Dru smacked Spike on the back. Spike’s face fell as realisation hit him. Buffy hadn’t set foot in water for the last two years. Not since the day her sister had drowned. It had happened a year or so after they had stopped talking. Dawn had gone out with her friends to the beach, Buffy as their chaperone.


Dawn was swimming at the beach when she had been caught in a current. The rip had pushed and pulled her towards the rocks and after a few seconds, she had disappeared under the waves. Buffy had run screaming and crying to the life guards but by the time Dawn had been recovered the damage was already done. She’d suffered several blows to the head, had been knocked unconscious and had drowned. The life guards had been unable to revive her.


Buffy had just lost her little sister and he hadn’t been there to pick up the pieces.


“Buffy!” He yelled running after her. ‘You wanker!’ he scolded himself, mentally.

………………………………........................................................................


He caught up with her just as she rounded the corner to walk under the shade of her favourite tree. Its branches spread out like a canopy, providing an ample amount of shade for when the sun’s rays got too much.


“Buffy!” Spike puffed out stopping a few metres away from her. “I-I‘m so sorry.”


“Don’t!” Buffy spat out, spinning around to face him. “Just don‘t.” Her face was covered in tears and her body was shaking.


“I wasn’t-,” he paused, his own eyes starting to well up with tears. He wouldn’t let her see him cry. He forced them back as he continued, “I wasn‘t thinking.” Buffy let out a strangled laugh as more tears flowed from her eyes.


“How could you forget?” she yelled, remembering what had happened after Dawn‘s accident. They hadn’t been talking for over a year, Buffy had just lost her little sister and he wasn’t there to pick up the pieces that were her. At the funeral, he hadn’t spoken two words to her. Harmony had been with him, they‘d been dating pretty heavily back then and Buffy had always wondered why she was even there in the first place.


“Buffy-” Spike took a step towards her and reached out to touch her.


“You were supposed to be there for…” She met his gaze, her tear strained face causing an ache deep in his heart. “And you weren’t.” Her bottom lip wobbled.


“Buffy I-” She slapped him across the face. Spikes head reared back as the blow struck, it stang and he was sure he was going to have a very red Buffy shaped hand print left there.


“The one time I needed you the most,” she cried, “and you weren’t there.” Spike could see she was on the verge of snapping and brought his hand under her chin to lift her head so he could meet her eyes.


She broke. Her body shook and her hands covered her face as she cried. Spike hesitantly bought an arm around her waist and brought her close. Buffy clung to his shoulders like her life depended on it.


“I‘m so sorry,” he whispered into her ear over and over again as she wept. Wept for her dead sister, wept over Spike and the fact that he hadn’t been there for her, wept because their friendship was ruined, and wept because this was the first time in a long time that she had felt anything as good as it felt to be in his arms.


Spike let a few tears fall down his cheeks and disappeared in her tangled hair. He had been so stupid. Giving up on a friendship that they had shared for the sake of popularity and a bunch of new friends who cared naught for anyone but themselves. Tilting Buffy’s head back, he brought his lips to her forehead and kissed it softly.


“I’m so sorry,” he whispered again bringing her in for a hug.


Dru watched from a distance. After Buffy had run off with her brother not far behind, she’d ran from the water and dressed as quickly as she could, tearing down the path they had just disappeared on.


She had definitely not foreseen this, for if she had, she and Buffy would not have taken a stroll to the lake. She frowned and looked up at the sky. Why give her a vision if things were to turn out so badly? They didn’t usually work like that.


“Your clothes are on backwards,” Buffy whispered, bringing Dru out of her dream like state. Dru’s head snapped up as her brother and Buffy made their way towards her. Spike’s hand rested on Buffy’s lower back as he guided her back onto the path.


‘ Maybe things did work out for the better?’ Dru smiled looking up at the sky and winking at it briefly, thanking whoever was up there watching. And sending out a silent prayer that the friendship between Buffy and Spike would only improve over the next 2 weeks now that the pain they had both been feeling had been brought to the surface and let out.


Chapter End Notes:
dont forget to leave a review:).... they feed my muse hehe..... mmm yummy lol