Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you sooo much to Lauriel for being my beta on this chapter.. Your doing an amazing job!! *hugs*


And thank you to everyone who has reviewed so far. You guys keep me going. Thanx to: Heidi, guest, Spikes_slayer08, cordykitten, Fallinfaery, JO, Ivy, Spikesluv AND _3xy_
Chapter 6:


The time seemed to tick by so quickly. Minutes turned into hours, hours turned into days and all too soon a week had passed, all of it being one big blur for Buffy. She had avoided Spike completely, only speaking to him when it was absolutely necessary. Dru, the ever intervening sister, had tried to get the two, to talk to each other on many occasions, but her efforts were fruitless.


Buffy now sat under the shade of her favourite tree out at the lake, notebook and pen in hand.


With a sigh, she threw her notepad to the ground. ‘This is useless,’ she thought, resting her hands atop her guitar. She’d tried writing the last verse to her song, but nothing ever came. Ever since she’d listened to Spike sing that morning nothing seemed to flow out like it used to.


Yes I could tell you his favourite colour’s blue


Buffy frowned at the last thing she’d written. Hearing voices coming her way, she packed up her notepad and pen and turned her head towards the sounds.


Slowly her mother’s figure came into view, followed by Drusilla, Giles and… Spike. Buffy’s shoulders sagged. ‘Great’


“We thought we‘d join you for lunch.” Giles smiled, placing a picnic basket down beside her.


“It’s so lovely outside today.” Spreading out the chequered blanket on the ground, Joyce smiled.


“The sunshine wilters.” Dru frowned glancing at the sky.


“Would you stop it with the bloody sunshine analogies Dru!” Spike growled, plonking himself next to his father on the edge of the blanket, not meeting Buffy’s gaze once. “ ‘M sick of it.”


“William, don’t pick on your sister.” Giles scolded, handing Buffy, Joyce and Dru each a wine glass.


“She’s bonkers Da’.” Dru poked her tongue out at her brother in response, his remark obviously not hurting her feelings.


“How’s your song coming along dear?” Joyce asked, while reaching over to grab Buffy’s folded notepad that lay on the grass. “The music sounds really good so far, from what I’ve heard you play in your room.”


“I-it’s coming,” Buffy, wide eyed, grabbed her notepad from her mother’s hands. “It’s not finished yet,” she whispered, glancing quickly at Spike before slipping the notepad beneath her.


“I’d love to hear it when it’s done.” Giles poured each of them a drink, before pulling pre-made sandwiches from the picnic basket. “You know, I’ve written a few things myself,” he added, proudly.


“Really?” Joyce was intrigued. “I’ve never heard you play before. I didn’t even know you could.”


“Da’ used to sing mum to sleep, b-before…” Spike whispered, whilst picking apart his sandwich.


“Oh,” Joyce turned her head away, not sure what to say next. Giles’ late wife was always a sore topic. Jenny had passed so suddenly, being diagnosed with brain cancer only a few short months before her death.


There was a deafening silence that was broken by Drusilla’s voice.


“T-the picnic is lovely, Daddy!” she beamed. A hastened chorus of agreements followed her remark as they all settled down to finish lunch, eyes averted from each other.


“So how’s school going William?” Joyce tilted her head so her eyes were shaded from the sun’s rays.


“It’s ok,” he shrugged. “Can’t complain really.”


“How’s that friend of yours? What’s her name, Herm-..., No,” her brows furrowed, she took another sip of her wine.


“Harmony,” Dru laughed. “Blonde bimbo,” she giggled.


“Oi!” Spike exclaimed, throwing a strip of bread crust at his sister’s face. “She’s not that bad.”


“She’s a bitch.” Buffy whispered, speaking for the first time in minutes.


“Buffy!” Joyce exclaimed, “That‘s not very nice.”


“Oh…Um, I have to agree with her, Joyce. Harmony isn’t the nicest student at Sunnydale,” Giles said taking his glasses of his face and wiping them over on the sleeve of his shirt. “She has a habit on picking on those that aren’t up to her station.” He sent Dru and Buffy a sympathetic look.


“She’s not always like that!” Spike said in her defence.


“Who are you kidding? She’s as bad as Cordelia and you know it,” Dru huffed. “I really don‘t know what you see in her.”


“When did this become a session about taking the piss outta my friends!” Spike’s voice raised a few octaves.


“I-I didn’t meant to start-”


“Just because they’re not as perfect as you two!” His gaze was directed at Buffy and Dru.


“You hold on just one second!” Buffy pointed at Spike, “Don’t start acting all blind. You know exactly what they’re like, so why defend them?” Buffy didn’t give Spike a chance to respond. “You know what, I really don’t want to get into this right now.” Turning towards Giles, she smiled softly. “Thank you for lunch.” He smiled in return.


“It was nothing.”


“I‘m just going to head back to the cabin,” Buffy replied, gesturing towards the pathway to the cabin.

………………………………......................................................

He loves to argue oh and it kills me
His sisters beautiful he has his father’s eyes



Buffy had been in her room for all of ten minutes when her door burst open and Spike barged in. Quickly shoving her notepad under her pillow, she looked up wide-eyed.


“I don’t know what crawled up your arse, Summers, but seriously, it’s getting old!” he growled out.


“E-excuse me?” she sat up.


“A week ago, everything was fine. We were actually getting along for the first time in, well,” he threw his arms up, “A long time,” Spike cut Buffy off as soon as he saw her mouth beginning to open.


“I don’t know what the hell happened, I know you heard me singing about you. You know how I feel,” Buffy refused to meet his gaze. “I’m sick of this. Not being able to talk to you...” He moved to sit back down next to her on the mattress. “C-can’t we just go back to the way things were?”


“No,” was Buffy’s hoarse whisper.


“Yes we can! I-I want it to be like old times, I miss laughing with you, miss talking to you,” Spike moved his hand to her head, ghosting her blonde locks. “We can be friends again?”


Slowly Buffy lifted her tear-filled eyes to his. “No, we really can‘t.” A lone tear slipped down her face.


“Buffy I-” Slowly his head made its downward decent, his lips barely touching hers.


“You should go!” she whispered, her head turning away from his. “No matter how hard we-...” She stood and made her way towards her door, opening it. “It would never work.” Looking up, she met his gaze, “They’ll always be there.” Spike stood.


“I don‘t care anymore, Buffy!” Spike tried to explain, desperation in his voice.


“I won‘t put myself through that again,” she cried, “Not after what you did last time!” The tears were falling freely. “Please just leave!” Her shoulders shook with the force of her sobs.


“Fine!” He growled out, storming past her and down the hall. Buffy‘s knees gave out beneath her as she heard the front door slam shut and the revving of his Desoto engine as he kicked it into reverse and drove away from the cabin, away from her.



And if you asked me if I love him
If you asked me if I love him
I’d lie


Chapter End Notes:
I told you I'd update before i went away... it's midnight and I've gotta be awake in 6 and a half hours to get to eh airport..... haha

dont forget to leave me a review:):)