Chapter 2

Dawn glanced between the two former lovers, speaking up when it looked like neither of them would.

“I think I’m gonna turn in now, let you two talk. Nice seeing you again, Spike.”

He hardly noticed when Dawn left, too absorbed in the sight of Buffy holding a baby. “I guess it would be stupid of me to ask who the mother is, right?”

Buffy took a deep breath. “When I found out I was pregnant, I was terrified. I was so afraid of my baby being in danger, so we came up with this plan. It was working well. Even you and Angel thought that was me in Rome, but I have to say, the Immortal? Come on, my taste in men isn’t that bad. He’s such a shallow, pretty boy. There is no way I could be with someone that fixated on their looks, it would drive me crazy.”

That got a small chuckle out of him. “I won’t argue with you there, but we did have every right to believe that was really you. Andrew did a pretty good job of convincing us.”

“All part of the plan, I’m actually surprised he managed to lie that well. I’m sure he would have told you the truth, but you guys were working at Wolfram and Hart. It was hard to know exactly what side you were on.”

Spike held his hands up. “First of all, I never worked there. I helped out, sure, but I went by my own rules. I never cared for that place, it was all Peaches.” He glanced back to the bundle in her arms, asking the question he really didn’t want to. “So, who’s the lucky bloke? Tyke doesn’t look all that old, must have had him a few months ago, had to be knocked up not too long after you left Sunnydale. Didn’t waste any time, did you?”

Buffy glared at him. “I don’t have to answer that. You sure as hell didn’t seem to give me much of a thought. I had every right to move on, I’m sure you did the same.”

Spike clenched his fists at his side, unclenching them at her next words.

“Except that I didn’t. There hasn’t been anyone in my life. I loved you, Spike. When I told you that in the Hellmouth, it was the truth. There could have never been anyone else.” She moved closer to him, so he could get a better look at the baby, crystal blue eyes staring up at him. “I named him William. After his father.”

Spike couldn’t believe what he was hearing, shaking his head and taking a step back. “No, it can’t be me. That’s not possible. Last time I checked, vampires couldn’t have children. Sure, it worked for Peaches and I’m still confused by that whole thing, but it’s not exactly something that happens every day. I may be able to now, but there’s no way I could have back then. I was still very much undead the last time we were together.”

She rolled her eyes. “Would I make this up? I don’t know how it happened, it just did. Believe me, we went into lots of researching just to discover how I became pregnant by a vampire, but we never found out the reason. I just thought of it as a miracle. Maybe the powers were finally giving me a break, letting me have a part of you after your death. Of course, then I found out you weren’t really dead. Don’t think I’m not still mad about that, by the way.”

Spike nodded, not able to take his eyes off of the small child. “Right, still mad, that’s very understandable. Could I hold him?”

Buffy smiled at his reaction, quickly handing the baby over to him. “Support the head,” she said sternly.

Once Spike held the infant in his arms, gazing down at his angelic features, he knew that it was very much true. “Bloody hell,” he whispered again. “I’m a father? I thought finally becoming human was the proudest moment of my life, but this definitely tops that.”

“Yeah, which brings me to what I’ve been wondering since I saw you again. How exactly are you human?”

Spike tore his eyes away from William to look at her. “The Shanshu Prophecy.”

She nodded in understanding. “Right, I heard about that. Wasn’t it meant for Angel?”

Spike growled lowly. “It was meant for a soulled vamp, it didn’t exactly mention any names. Angel supposedly signed it away, so I guess I was the only other choice. Assuming it really would have gone to him in the first place. He’s still out there somewhere being all heroic, we lost touch months ago. I took a job here at a lawfirm, not Wolfram and Hart. I think this one might actually not be evil. It’s just good luck that this is where you happen to be, too. I’ve been watching you the last couple of days, wondering when I should make my approach. I’ve seen you at the diner, the way your boss treats you, that trashy bint that was practically all over me. You’re too bloody good for that place. I didn’t understand why you would waste your time there, but now it makes sense.” He gazed back down at William. “Normal job for a normal girl, have to take care of the nibblet. I still think you can do better.”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest. “And just what would you have in mind? With my past experience in the working world, there’s not much else I could get.”

“You could come work at the firm; I could put in a good word for you. The pay would be ten times better, with the added bonus of seeing me every day.”

Buffy laughed. “That does make it hard to resist. As long as they’re not evil, but don’t forget that I’m still mad at you.”

Spike moved over to her, cradling the baby to his chest. “I’m sure I can change your mind.”

Buffy tried to take a step back, but Spike wouldn’t let her.

“I’ve been very bad, I know that. To think that I could have stayed away from you this long, I don’t know what I was bloody thinking. I’m here now, and I’m not going anywhere. You, me, and the bit, we’re a family now.”

Buffy got caught in his gaze. “You forgot about Dawn.”

He smiled. “Now, we can’t have that. She doesn’t still have that urge to set me on fire, does she?”

Buffy slapped him lightly on the arm. “She was just hurt, but I think she really missed you. We both did.”

Spike grasped her hand in his, giving it a light squeeze. “What can I possibly do to make it up to you?”

Buffy pretended to think about it, then stared him deep in the eyes. “Tell me that you still love me? Tell me that you never stopped?”

Spike was surprised that she could ask that, but didn’t hesitate with his response. “I never stopped loving you, Buffy. I could never stop.”

She sighed in relief. “I love you, too. I really do, Spike. I’m not just saying it.”

Spike didn’t think he could be any happier than he was after finding out he was a father, without giving much thought to his actions, he headed over to the nursery and gently lay the now sleeping child down in his crib.

She stared after him in confusion, raising her eyebrows when he made his way back over to her, a big grin on his face.

“I needed both hands.”

Buffy was taken by surprise when he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her to his chest and planting a passionate kiss on her lips.