Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks again to everyone who reviewed *hugs* to you all :):)

Finally took the time to sit down and update this story:):)
Chapter 4:


Take me back to the creek beds we turned up
Two A.M. riding in your truck and all I need is you next to me
Take me back to the time we had our very first fight
The slamming of doors instead of kissing goodnight
You stayed outside till the morning light
Oh my my my my



It was late afternoon when Buffy started tacking up Cole. She hadn’t ridden him in what seemed like weeks when in truth it had been only 5 days. With a smile on her lips, Buffy shook her head, listening as Cole let out a pleased snort as she slipped his bridle on.


“Are you going to be good for me today?” Buffy asked, patting his neck, getting another snort in response.


“He’s always good for you. Dawn on the other hand…” William let out frustrated sigh as he came to stand next to his horse. Her saddle was heavy in his arms and a frown marred his features, as he watched the blanket he’d just placed on her back fall to the ground.


“Looks like she doesn’t want to be ridden today.” Buffy laughed, watching as William placed the saddle on the nearby fence, and lifted the blanket back onto Dawn. As soon as he turned to pick up the saddle, Dawn swung her neck around and pulled the blanket off with her teeth, snorting at William when he turned to face her again.


“Looks like.” William nodded in response, a frown marring his features. It was unlike Dawn to not want to go for a ride. Normally when he came to the fence with her saddle in his arms she was neighing in delight. William shook his head and picked her blanket back up off the ground, shaking the dust from it.


“Want a ride?” Buffy asked, placing her left leg in the saddle’s stirrup, lifting herself into the saddle.


William felt his cock twitch, watching Buffy’s shorts slide up as she pulled herself into the saddle and swung her right leg around to rest on the other side.


“Why not, I don’ particularly feel like walking all the way down to the creek.” William smirked, watching Buffy slide forward on the saddle, letting William use the stirrups to pull himself up onto Cole.


Buffy settled herself back against William, her thighs touching his, her shorts riding up higher on her legs as William pulled her further back into him. They were both sitting as comfortable as two people on a single saddle could as they set off for the ride down to the creek.


When Buffy had suggested that they take a picnic down at the creek that afternoon, William hadn’t been sure how to reply. He knew the last couple of months had been rough, both of them having started working longer hours, thus avoiding the arguments that always seemed to surface whenever they were spending any time together.


But something had changed recently.


After the last argument they’d had, William had spent the night at Buffy’s mother’s house.


Joyce was an amazing woman and always seemed to take care of his drunken self, pulling him somewhat out of his miserable state.


This time things had changed. Joyce had woken him up. Realisation had hit and William now finally understood how close he actually was to losing Buffy.


“She’s not going to sit around and wait forever. You’re losing her, William.”


“She doesn’ bloody care.” William grumbled, a hand coming to rest across his eyes.


“Of course she cares! She loves you! But it doesn’t help that you’re never at home. You don’t talk to each other anymore. That’s no way to have a marriage.” Joyce sighed, frustrated.


“She doesn’ want kids with me.”


“No bloody wonder.” Joyce sighed. “Look at yourself. When you’re not at work, you’re at home arguing with her and when you’re not at home arguing you’re out getting completely drunk. That’s not an environment to be raising a baby in.” Joyce watched William raise his head to stare at her. “Do you love her?”


“What kind of question is that? Of course I bloody love her. She’s my wife!”


“Well then, start acting like you love her!” Joyce yelled back. “I’ve been through this before, William and trust me, the more you pull back, the quicker she’s going to leave. I won’t have my baby girl hurt the way I was.”


“I don’ know if she loves me anymore. Last nigh’ was a bad one.” William sighed, tears forming in his eyes.


“You need to sleep if off, William. I’ll talk to her in the morning, but you need to promise me something.” William nodded and Joyce continued, “I want you to promise me that you’ll get her to smile again, get her to be who she was when you first got married. You were so happy.” Joyce smiled. “I want to see both of you like that again.”


“I can’t promise you, Joyce but I’ll try my hardest.”


“And don’t worry about the baby issue dear, you’ll be having children down the track. I’ll see to that, I need to spoil my grandchildren rotten.” Joyce laughed, standing up.


“Thanks again, Joyce.”


“You’re welcome anytime, William. You know that.”



“Are you awake back there?” Buffy laughed, turning in the saddle to gaze at William’s face.


“Huh? Yeah, pet.”


“You kinda zoned out there. Are you ok?” Buffy asked concerned.


“I’m fine, pet. Just thinking.”


“Good thoughts, I hope?” Buffy laughed, tugging on Cole’s reins to stop.


William glanced around at where they were and smiled. Buffy had led Cole to one particular creek bed he remembered quite well.


“All good thoughts when I’m with you, luv.” He kissed her cheek and slid himself out of the saddle, holding an arm out to help Buffy down.


“I would think you’d have some rather nice thoughts of this place.” Buffy smiled, a mischievous grin forming on her face as she unlatched the small picnic bag she’d packed from Cole’s saddle and let the reins drop, allowing him to wander off to a nearby patch of grass.


“Oh I can think of one or two,” William chuckled, sliding his arms around Buffy’s waist, gently kissing the sensitive skin between her neck and shoulders.


“We certainly turned a few creek beds up, didn’t we?” Buffy smiled, dropping the picnic bag and turning around, sliding her arms up and around William’s neck.


William raised an eyebrow.


“My my,” William smirked, “Did you bring me out here to seduce me and relive those memories, Mrs. Giles.”


“Maybe,” Buffy giggled nervously, her shoulders relaxing as William crushed his lips down on hers.


……………………………….....................


Six and a half years ago


Eighteen year old Buffy let out a squeal as Spike chased her through the water again. It had come as a shock to their parents when the two had started dating six months ago. Their families worried about a true love relationship as they lived so close to each other, not to mention the two year age gap.


Hank had only laughed, and gloated to Joyce that he had foreseen the relationship from the beginning, helping to sway any of Joyce’s doubts and fears over the issue.


Jenny had sighed extensively and given William, aka Spike, an hour long lecture on the correct way to treat a girl. After all, that’s all Buffy was, just a little girl.


In the eyes of her parents anyway.


At eighteen she still hadn’t had sex. Buffy let out a shudder at the thought of her previous boyfriend, Riley. He seemed to have found his pleasures elsewhere in their relationship when she had refused him several times.


Looking at Spike now as he caught up to her in the creek, gathering her into his arms, slipping slightly due to the water, Buffy couldn’t help but smile.


He had been the prefect gentleman and sweetest person she had ever met. They’d made love for the first time only a few weeks ago, on the day of their six month anniversary and it had been amazing.


“What are you thinkin’ about?” Spike asked, cupping Buffy’s bottom in his hands, walking the short way to the creek bed where they had laid a picnic blanket out for the two of them to lay on.


“You,” was Buffy’s short reply, a smile on her face as she nipped at his lips.


“Yeah?”


“Yeah,” Buffy whispered softly as they fell down on the blanket, limbs tangled together.


They stared at each other for what seemed like hours, Spike leaning his forehead against hers.


“I love you so much.”


“Spike…”


“I’ll never stop, you know.” At Buffy’s confused look Spike continued, kissing her soundly on the mouth, “Loving you. You’re my only and always.”


“William…” Buffy whispered, tears forming in her eyes before she crashed her lips against his in a searing kiss.


They’d made love then, on the bank of the creek, the sun heating their already flushed skin. That was the first time they’d ever had unprotected sex.


A month later they’d had their first and one of their worst arguments.


…………………………..........................


Now


If this was Buffy’s way of fixing their broken marriage, William smiled to himself, lightly trailing his hand down Buffy’s naked hip, he definitely wasn’t complaining.


Buffy let out a moan, rolling over to be gathered into William’s open and warm embrace.


“You never cease to amaze me.” William smiled, prepping her cheek with light kisses.


“Neither do you.” Buffy smiled, lifting her hand under her head to stare down at her husband. “This is a lot better than arguing.”


“I hate arguing with you, pet.” William whispered, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.


“Me too,” Buffy whispered with watery eyes.


“No more tears?” William sighed, wiping her damp cheeks. “How ’bout we both promise not to fight with each other again. And if we do feel pissed off with the other, we’ll-” William was cut off by Buffy’s tearful laugh.


“Have hot angry sex with each other?”


“I was going to say try and talk rationally, but hot angry sex works fine with me.”


Buffy let out a laugh and let her head fall onto William’s chest. He wrapped an arm around her waist and stroked his fingers through her hair with the other hand as Buffy watched the rhythmical rise and fall of his chest.


“We’ve always had problems talking to each other during an argument.” Buffy sighed, her eyes shutting as William’s breathing and strokes to her head lulled her near to sleep.


“We’re both too hot headed. Both wanting to be right and not admitting to when we’re wrong.”


“Do you remember our first fight?”


“Yeah, pet. I do.” William sighed sadly. That night had been one of the most painful nights of his life, both physically and mentally.


“I don’t ever want to fight with you again,” Buffy whispered, right before her eyes closed, and she let sleep take over.


………………………………................

Six years and Five months ago


“What do you mean you’re late?”


“My period,” Buffy started to hyperventilate. “I…It’s late!” Her voice was hushed as she paced back and forth in front of Spike.


“So maybe it will come in a few days? Right?” Spike was starting to get nervous.


“No,” Buffy shook her head, running a shaky hand through her already tussled hair. “I…it’s never late.”


“I’m sure it’s nothing,” Spike assured her, smiling softly as he grabbed her hand. “C’mere, pet.”


“Are you even listening to me?” Buffy yelled, yanking her hand from his. She nervously glanced back at her house to make sure her mother wasn’t watching them from the kitchen window. It was nightfall and Joyce always kept a watch on the two, making Buffy came inside as soon as 10:30pm hit. “I might be pregnant! Oh my god! I might be…” Her breaths were shallow and uneven.


Spike’s heart rate sped up. He was too young to be a father.


“I’m too young to be a mother! I can’t, I…” Buffy nervously ran both hands through her hair, pacing back and forth.


“If you are, we’ll fix it.”


Her head snapped up and her eyes shot to Spike’s.


“Fix it?” Buffy asked icily.


“Yeah, have the pregnancy terminated,” Spike swallowed deep, not liking the looks Buffy was sending him.


“You mean kill it… Kill an innocent human being.” Buffy didn’t need a verbal response to know Spike had meant ever word. “I could never…I would never kill…” She started to back away from Spike.


“Buffy, pet. I didn’t mean-”


Buffy’s eyes were full to the brim with tears, a few slipping down her cheeks.


“But you did!” She cried out, her heart breaking. “Which means you don’t want this with me. Maybe not now but it means you don’t want me…You don’t…love me enough to have a family with me.”


Buffy continued to back away and Spike felt his own eyes rimming with tears.


“I do sweetheart. I love you. You just said you didn’t wan-”


“Stay away from me,” Buffy cried, running into her house and slamming the door in Spike’s face.


“Buffy, please!”


“Leave me alone!”


“Buffy, is everything alright?” Joyce asked, her face narrowing in concern the second she saw her daughter’s tear-stained face.


“I just want to be left alone for a while,” she whispered, wrapping her arms around herself.


Spike had slept on the porch all night, a small light above the back door illuminating his sleeping form. Joyce had crept out around 2am, laying a warm blanket over him and giving him a pillow before retreating back inside.


When morning light came, Buffy silently trudged down the stairs, her eyes red and puffy from crying. Joyce was in the kitchen, fixing herself a cup of coffee when Buffy entered the kitchen, glancing quickly at the back door.


“He’s still outside, you know,” Joyce said, raising her gaze to meet Buffy’s surprised look.


“That boy loves you very much and you’d be extremely stupid to let that slip away because of one argument.”


“Mom, I-”


“I didn’t hear anything. But it’s not hard to figure it out that you were fighting when you come home crying and lock your boyfriend out.” Joyce handed Buffy a mug of coffee. “Go and talk to him, sweetie. I’m sure everything will be fine.”


Buffy stepped outside and sat down silently next to Spike.


“Buffy, pet. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mea-”


“I’m not.” Buffy sighed, letting her gaze meet his.


“Not what?” Spike’s heart was racing.


“I’m not pregnant.” Tears slipped down her face as Spike gathered her into his arms. “I got my period this morning.”


“I would never leave you on your own to deal with… I’m always going to be here, pet.”


“I don’t want to fight anymore,” Buffy cried, slipping her arms around his waist.


“Me either. Always remember, pet.” Spike placed a kiss to the top of her head. “You’re my only and always. I love you so much.”


“Oh my!” Joyce exclaimed, her jaw dropping slightly upon hearing her daughter’s deep conversation with William. Her baby was growing up and was a woman now.


Her baby was sexually active.


Joyce placed her coffee mug and grabbed her car keys off the table, yelling out to Buffy that she was going to the store.


Buffy started the pill that week, easing Joyce’s mind of any children.


She was to young too be a grandmother.


Chapter End Notes:
Hope this chapter bought to light some of Buffy's insecurities.....I've got a few ideas rolling around in my head for the next chapter :):)