Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks again to everyone who reviewed *hugs* to you all :):) And thanx to my awesome BETA lauriel *hugs*
Chapter 5:


A few years had gone and come around
We were sitting at our favourite spot in town
And you looked at me, got down on one knee



Buffy snuggled further into William’s chest as they lay on the couch that evening, watching the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, The Curse of the Black Pearl. Buffy felt her eyes flutter closed briefly as William’s fingers ran through her freshly washed golden locks.


He had placed a blanket over their lower limbs only minutes before and already, Buffy felt the warmth engulf her.


“Pet?”


“Mmm,” Buffy hummed, head shifting to roll onto William’s chest. “You keep doing that and I’m going to fall asleep before the movie finishes.”


“I was thinking…” William’s hands stopped stroking Buffy’s hair. “The fight we had the other day…”


“I don’t want to talk about it.” Buffy sat up and met his gaze. “It’s over and we’re all good now, right?”


William shifted his gaze to the telly.


“Right?”


“We need to talk about it, pet.” Buffy had shifted and now sat next to William instead of lying on top of him.


“W-what do you want to know? Why I’m afraid to settle down and have a family with you? Why I’m going to be a horrible mother? Why I can’t stand the thought of losing you but all I seem to be doing these days is pushing you further away. God…I-I’m killing our marriage.” Buffy cried, running a hand through her hair.


“It takes two people to make a marriage work, pet. I haven’t exactly been the best at that either. To really move forward with our lives, we need to fix what’s wrong. We’ve been together for years. Been in love for years, pet.” William smiled, cupping her cheek. “Why are you so afraid to settle down and have kids with me?” he whispered.


“Because you didn’t want that…with me,” Buffy whispered, her voice cracking.


“My period, I…It’s late!”


“I’m sure it’s nothing,”


“I might be pregnant!”


“If you are, we’ll fix it. Have the pregnancy terminated,”



“Of course I want to have kids with you! Why would you-” William’s eyes widened in realisation. “Buffy…That was years ago!” William met her tear filled eyes.


“I thought that if you didn’t want that with me then… Then you wouldn’t want to have a family with me now.” Buffy cried, her shoulders shaking with the force of her tears.


“Are you daft?” William asked wrapping an arm around her shoulders and bringing her in for a hug. “Do you remember what I said to you the day I asked you to marry me?”


“How could I forget?” Buffy smiled softly at the memory. They had been at their favourite restaurant and had just finished dessert when William had gone down on one knee in front of the whole restaurant and proposed to her.


“I’ve loved you, Buffy Summers, from the very first day I laid eyes on you. You’re my light, pet. When everything around me seems to be going dark and pulling me down, you’re there, making me smile. I can’t imagine living the rest of my life without having you by my side. I want to make you smile when you’re sad…and carry you around when you’re pregnant with our babies and too tired to walk.” He let out a laugh. “You’re my only.” William pulled a small velvet box out from his pocket and opened it. “ And always, pet. Will you marry me?”


“I love you, pet. I don’t know what I’d do if we weren’t together.” William kissed the top of her head.


“Me either,” Buffy whispered.


“First thing on Monday I’m going to talk to my boss and cut back my hours.”


“You don’t have to do that..” Buffy said, sitting up.


“I’ve been spending too much time at work. I hardly get to see you, luv. It’s not healthy for our relationship, for our marriage.”


Buffy was fiddling with her hands, refusing to meet William’s eyes.


“I need to tell you something,” she whispered, glancing at him out of the corner of her eye. “And before you say anything, I j-just wanted to tell you I’m scared shitless.” Buffy’s eyes were beginning to well with tears.


“Pet, what’s wrong?”


“The other day, w-when you came home from work and we got into that fight.” She took a deep breath. “You told me that we weren’t working out-”


“I said a lot of things I didn’t mean…” William whispered, suddenly very nervous.


“You yelled.” A tear slipped down her cheek as she continued to fiddle with her hands. “A-and slammed the door when you left to go to the bar.”


“Buffy…”


“I’d been feeling sick for a couple of weeks.” She met his eyes briefly.


“Food poisoning. I remember, you told me.”


“W-when you left I went to see a doctor.”


She still wasn’t meeting his gaze and William was getting more nervous by the minute.


“You’re scaring me, pet. What’s wrong? Are you ok?”


“I’m ok…Scared out of my mind, b-but other than that I’m ok.” William’s hands shook as he reached out and clasped Buffy’s hands in his.


“Tell me what’s wrong.”


“My mood swings have been getting worse.” Buffy let out a laugh. “Not the usual PMS kind of mood swings I usually get but I…” She met his gaze. “I-I’m pregnant, William,” Buffy whispered, not breaking eye contact.


William’s mouth hung open in a silent ‘o’.


“Pregnant?”


“I’m scared, William. I don’t know how to be a mother…I’m still learning how to be a wife. I don’t know if I can do this.”


“How far along are you?” William asked, flabbergasted.


Pregnant.


Buffy was pregnant.


With his child.


The thought made his heart swell with pride and he couldn’t stop the goofy grin that spread across his face.


“A-about eight weeks,” Buffy whispered, tears slipping down her face.


“Why are you crying?” William smiled, wiping away her tears. “This is wonderful news, pet.”


“I don’t know how to be a mother. I can’t even manage to be a good wife. We’ve been fighting-”


“You’re going to be an amazing mother.” William cut her off, cupping her face in his hands. “You were amazing as my girlfriend.” He kissed one cheek. “Amazing as my lover.” He kissed the other cheek. “And exceptionally amazing as my wife. I couldn’t ask for anything more than exactly what you are, pet.” William kissed her lightly on the lips. “I haven’t been the best husband of late but I’m going to work hard for us, pet. I’m going to cut back my hours at work so I can spend more time with you. It’s the way it should be…the way it should have always been.”


“William…”


“I’ll never stop loving you, even when you’re old, grey and wrinkly and can’t walk.” Buffy let out a laugh and buried herself in Williams hug.


“God, I love you so much.”


“I love you too, pet. You’ll make an amazing mother, just wait and see.” William stood and held out his hand for her to take. The movie completely forgotten, William switched off the TV and led Buffy to their bedroom.


He wrapped his arms around her waist from behind and let his hands rest atop her stomach.


“My baby’s in here,” he whispered, voice content, a smile on his face.


William was laying light soft kisses down Buffy’s neck when she spoke.


“Babies.”


“Huh?” William’s kisses stopped as he raised his head in confusion.


Buffy turned around and met his eyes, raising her hand and held up two fingers.


“B-babies?”


Buffy nodded shyly and felt her eyes well with tears at the joyous smile that spread across her husbands face.


“I’m terrified.”


“Babies….as in two…We’re having babies!


Buffy let out a squeal as William’s lips crashed down to meet hers in a passionate kiss, his hands travelling down her body to cup her bottom and to pull her flush against his own.


The joyous news had to be celebrated and William knew the perfect way to do it.


Chapter End Notes:
I'm going into surgery on the 20th.... aka in like 3 days lol *is freaking out* lol.... i'm having all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed so during my week off i'll most probably update this story again:):)